Old vets sound off

810 replies to this topic

#221 Ramfire

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

43 here and started on and of playing this game in the 90's. MM then clans came out and batchall and quiaf and aff. Bids to go kill them davion do gooders.. Great game favorite Mech was the Archer Panther and Vindicator. Looking forward to a litte PPC action to heat up some guys PANTS.

#222 Huhnerficker

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

I am a 34 yearold who has been a part of the universe since I was 11 or so. I still have a tub of books and game boxes. I have played the old RPG's and use to run a tt/rp hybrid campaign that went on for a few years. I have tried Mekwar but no one ever helped me so it was tough to get into. I am so stoked to be here and helping out.

#223 Uller Phrost

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

hmm I recall my First book was Mechwarrior 1st Ed I cant recall the year and Aerotech box set was my second...late 80s I think I am 40

#224 RhinoGrizzly

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostKensaisama, on 26 February 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Interested in seeing how many grizzled old battletech/mechwarrior veterans are out there like me. I will be 46 this year and have been playing/gaming for 33 years now, I remember when battletech first came out when I was a senior in high school (1984), played the first battletech computer game crescent hawks inception and every battletech/mechwarrior game ever since. So........... who's gonna own up to being an old gamer like me :-)

Yours in blood and honor
Kensai the wandering warrior

I'll be 48 this year, and like you I remember when the local Moral Majority types were picketting book and toy stores [there were no game stores back then] because DnD was 'devil-worship'.

I've been a game-geek since 1976 and played BT off and on throughout it's run. What's funny is that an awful lot of the original tactics and 'Mechs still work as well now as they did then.

It's amazing how far we've come since Saint Gary and Saint Dave published the 'Optional Fantasy Rules' for Chainmail, but in some ways we've also kind of slid back... The interwebs have made it much easier to connect with a fellow game fan in Helsinki, but harder to find a steady game group in your home town because everyone is online or Xbox or whatever. We have more options, but less personal interaction. I kinda miss a lot of that.

#225 PirateLincoln

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 152 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, USA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Been playing since 1995, in all its forms except the card game (never could find any in stores and they're hard to find online).

#226 Yvraith

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCarlton River, Tasmania, Australia/Sthn Highlands Province PNG

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

Well good to see I'm not the oldest on here...by lots! I'm only 35.
First taste of BT was TT with a mate & Crescent Hawks Inception on his Commodore 64!

#227 HAS Thorn

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

47 here and still playing Mechwarrior 4 on the PC. Startet playing Battletech in the early 90's with Mechwarrior on the Super Nintendo Gameconsole and since this time i was reading every Battletechbook and playing every Mechgame i could buy. Starsiege, Earthsiege, Hevy Gear, Mechcommander etc.
Played in MPBT 3024 on Compuserve (AOL) and payed some Money for the fun.
I mostly was a Steinerboy, maybe because i am from Germany, and i had really fun playing this games.
I almost can't wait for this game to come alive.
See you on the battlefield :-)

#228 Dogbreed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

52, started with the first battletech box set with the plastic figures ( also had a box with the card board cutouts)
PC games to MW4:mercs. Had a megamek server running and still play at the annual carnage convention.

#229 Saatch

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

47, been playing Battletech since the late 80's on and off. Avid miniature wargamer, with about 12 companies/trinaries of Mechs.

I've enjoyed the computer games but honestly I'm not as good a shooter as a planner, but still hoping to contribute where I can. :)

#230 Bad Electric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChantilly Va

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

51 here, started playing battletech (1995 or 96 I believe) on aol PAY TO PLAY ($1 an hour). moved to kesmai's gamestorm version ($10 a month). played as HH (Headhunters) a merc unit aligned with Davion for years until 3025 was released in beta. when EA and MS got involved in licensing issue beta was closed down. HH moved to MW4 verison for a few years, also offshoots/splinters of HH played wolfenstien and some still play in plantary capture leagues.

Have been playing battlefield online since BF 2 (nightly) waiting on the day battletech/mechwarrior returned. seems the wait is nearly over!
Looking for old HH members hoping there will be a reunion of sorts in this version!

#231 Meuric

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

41 here, started playing Battletech TT when I was in high school in the late 80's. Kept playing when I went into the military and still play the TT version on occasion. Even have the new box set that came out...Played Crescent Hawks all the way through MW4 and even mech commander. Love the genre and am so looking forward to this game!!!

#232 Mad Dog Monkey

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Well im a youngin at 22 but i've been playing mechwarior since i was 4 years old sitting on my uncles lap , and man everytime i see a ppc i still have that same sense of utter awe that i did back then.

#233 Dhirvish

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

33 here, only played MechCommander, but I played the crap out of it. Even busted it out a few years ago on an older computer just for old times. Loved those Atlas' and Hunchbacks! Looking forward to jumping in one.

#234 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostRhinoGrizzly, on 30 May 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

I'll be 48 this year, and like you I remember when the local Moral Majority types were picketting book and toy stores [there were no game stores back then] because DnD was 'devil-worship'.

I've been a game-geek since 1976 and played BT off and on throughout it's run. What's funny is that an awful lot of the original tactics and 'Mechs still work as well now as they did then.

It's amazing how far we've come since Saint Gary and Saint Dave published the 'Optional Fantasy Rules' for Chainmail, but in some ways we've also kind of slid back... The interwebs have made it much easier to connect with a fellow game fan in Helsinki, but harder to find a steady game group in your home town because everyone is online or Xbox or whatever. We have more options, but less personal interaction. I kinda miss a lot of that.

Your words ring true Rhino, and I to miss the personal interaction of a good old face to face gaming session.

Kensai the wandering warrior

#235 Chops Sauron

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

Wow, 44yrs old and been playing since '85
Missed the old 16 players a side playing company v's company, slow but with three days set aside ... :-)

#236 JinkerTsun

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

I'm 57 but what has age got to do with it? You're as young as the woman you feel. Anyway's I started on MW3 and was pretty crap at the game but we all had voice communication before Skype was a boy and I always got the job of scoping out the opposition and letting off tons of missiles at anything I could see. Great fun was had.

#237 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

Only 38 ... creepin' up on 39. Been playing since BattleDroids. BT was my first RPG-esque game ever at age 12 and I haven't looked back since.

#238 Sav

Rookie

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

Age 42
Been playing since MW Dos Games.
Favortie mechs- Ryoken/Stormcrow, Summoner/Thor.
Most likely will be House Dav.

#239 Rogen

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

I'm not that old as others here, only 33, but i started with first mechwarrior game on PC, later i discovered tabletop version (at my country that was quite a problem at that time), that wat time of third edition, and that set me in for the life. (every computer game, large library of rulebooks, quite few mechs), and while i do not play the tabletop version any more (no time), i still follow, and buying rulebooks, sourcebooks, and other stuff.

#240 Rynox

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

40 here and have been playing since I was 14. The first book I bought was the 3025 TRO and I read it cover to cover and had to buy an Orion and Centurion as my first minis based on the artwork and lore. I have played all the various computer versions from Crescent Hawks Inception all the way through to MW4 Mercs. My son is finally old enough that he wants to learn how to play as well, so I picked up the 25th Anniversary boxed set for him.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users