Old vets sound off

810 replies to this topic

#241 Rion Raios

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

I remember me and my brother purchasing this boxed game in 1990. It had this awesome robot at the front. I think we just bought it for that.

That, though, is where my love affair with all things Battletech began ;)

#242 Jaxwen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

What is the advantage/disadvantage to choosing one faction or another when it comes to combat??

#243 Willet

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Only 30, but started way back with MPBT on GEnie. Hourly pay to play meant a lotta whuppins from my parents for staying on way too long. I think I remember racking up a few hundred dollars before they cut me off.

Worked my way up through MW 1 and 2, didn't really get past that. Saw this game coming out and it reminded me alot of the old school MPBT that I freaking loved. So ready to play this game!

#244 codynyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 321 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationda Bronx

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

im 38 played table top back in 91 hooked ever since

#245 CTec

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

born in 63, was teaching the game to U.S. Army (87-91) pukes while pulling guard duty. It was better just to allow them to attempt moves and I would let them know if it was allowed. After a bit they understood the basics and it made for some funny play. People would alpha the warhammer and have to roll crits vs overheating and cook themselves. Had one poor fella wade off into level 3 water and crit himself to death trying to stand back up.

Wife loved the game on the board but could not get a grip on the pc related one thousand keys, mouse and joystick.

#246 Mason Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

I have been playing Battletech since the mid-nineties. Started with 1st Edition Box Set... pretty much bought every edition as they came out. I have a 7 foot tall book case which has 3 of the 5 shelves full of Battletech books. I have played every computer game since Inception. We used to have some Virtual World pods in my area years ago and I played them every weekend (expensive hobby) until they were purchased and moved. But recently the past 3 years (again this year) I have gotten to enjoy them at DragonCon. I am off and on playing on various Megamek servers.... what can I say I love Battletech. :ph34r:

I am looking forward to this and if it goes well I think I will be investing in a camelbak for fluid so I can sit at the screen for hours on end! (Hopefully with that Razer Artemis... please don't mess it up Razer!!)

Oh and my age... 35.

Edited by Mason Storm, 07 June 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#247 Damocles 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

well as a youth of 24 i must say i am really looking forward to the oprotunity to FRAG so many old fogeys come operation:inception. i started with mechwarrior 3 and have played pretty much everything ever made since

#248 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

Turning 43 this year, started TT in 93 and ran with that for about 4 years, played the PC games all the way through but I didn't follow the jump over to consol games, no mouse, no keyboard, not thinking the computer starting us was my reactor coming "on line" just didn't do it for me. I can remember once I changed my computer start up sound so it wasn't the MS Music but it was the battlemech voice telling me that "all systems ready" ... hmmmm I should go see if I can find that wave file online again. :ph34r:

#249 BFalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationEgremont, Cumbria, UK

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostKensaisama, on 26 February 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Interested in seeing how many grizzled old battletech/mechwarrior veterans are out there like me. I will be 46 this year and have been playing/gaming for 33 years now, I remember when battletech first came out when I was a senior in high school (1984), played the first battletech computer game crescent hawks inception and every battletech/mechwarrior game ever since. So........... who's gonna own up to being an old gamer like me :-)

Yours in blood and honor
Kensai the wandering warrior

Likewise here, although I didn't get very far with Crescent.

MW4 was the low point of the MW series, I think - MW3 being the high point.

It's strange - I just found out about the game coming out (a Razer ad) just after I'd finished reading the Warrior trilogy by M. Stackpole.

Time to break out the 3050 sourcebooks for the game, I think... bring myself up to date on what mechs are around and what the politics are... :P

Oh... and 39 here...

#250 SirDenOfYork

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationSneads Ferry, North Carolina,U.S.A.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

Im 66 and ive played them just about all, going back to a game called Pong...LOL... :P

#251 First Insurgent

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

Ive been playing since the 90.. cbt, darkage, read the books and played all the comp games.. might i add.. hate the xbox garbage. n old man of 26

#252 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Wow, I thought I was old at 44, but some of you old farts got me beat. I would LOVE to play the TT game again, but our group fell apart a year or 2 ago, so I'm excited about this game coming out.

#253 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:25 AM

Hah 51 here, got my first boxed set back in 1985.
Past the love down to my sons.
And now my grandson.
Now thats Leagacy!

#254 raydi89

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:33 AM

Hi, Im 42 and wow!, this brings back great ole gaming times i've spent the whole week trying to get all weapon and stats combination for my mech, and finish the game..

#255 krironman

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

48 years old. been playing since 85

#256 Jaguar Knight

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMissouri, Old Earth.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

I just want to say that I am so excited that this game is finnaly happening! I have played almost every MechWarrior game. Started with MW 2, then got Mech Commander. Since then I have bought every Battle Tech game that has come out. MW 3, MW Vengence and all the expansion packs, and Mech Commander 2. I still have all but one of these games...sadly I lost MW2 back in the late 90's and never found a replacement. Once this game goes online, I plan on declaring for House Davion...the ONLY house worthy to be a member of. Davion has the best Mechs and the best Warriors, and I look forward to serving along side my fellow Davion Mech Warriors!

#257 Arthwys IronHand

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

Ever since the tabletop came out, Battletech, Citytech, Aerotech, I had them all. Then some evil ******* goes and makes a computer game and nothing was the same after that. Still have my miniature's books and comics somewhere too.

#258 Alexander Thompson

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Been playing since mid 90's.
Table top, most of the computer games, and i have loved every min of it.

Glory to House Davion

#259 rorke

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

Since 87 with tabletop. Been some sort of CBT forum denizen since goodness knows
when.

Was a big fan of the original Mechcommander, was an admin for one of the leagues back then.

Davion from the start, and Davion until the very end. Oh and a fairly young feeling 41 here.

#260 Bic

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Only 54 and played them all...like manny times

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users