Old vets sound off

810 replies to this topic

#281 Megaton

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostTy Cannon, on 26 February 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Im 52 started playing the board game earlier 80's when I joined the Military then found Battletech (MPBT) on AOL .99 an hour which was great so I thought LOL! Adds up $350.00 a month had to cut back. Played MPBT on Gamestorm 9.99 a month which was cheaper hehehe. Then played MW3 and MW4 unit was Draaguns then finally stopped after my oldest took over. See ya around ya old timers!

Brother! I'm 51, and I was a Multi-Player BattleTech junkie too....played on GEnie for similar cost and recall on many occasions going to bed at 0200 to get up at 0500 to go to work. I was in the Navy then, and once we deployed for a Northern Run, I was forced to quit cold turkey. :)

Can't wait to get back in the saddle! :(

#282 Kamarok

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

I've been playing the table top for 24 years and play both the X-Box games still and played mechcommander. Think I may have played an early game in the late 80s on the PC. Tried my hand a few times over the last couple of years with MW Living Legends when I have had the time. By the way, who you calling old?!?! :(

Edited by Kamarok, 19 June 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#283 Aarta

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

I wouldn't say I'm old, I'm only 29. I remember when my brother and I saved our allowances to buy the Battletech tabletop game in 94 though. Good memories there and I still have the game. :) Also bought the Battlespace game that same year too. Played from Mercenaries to MW4 (including the Mech Commander series) and I've read who knows how many of the novels.

I'll admit it, I like the Battletech universe.

#284 Pathalone

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Old Dominion

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

Started playing with MW2, then MW2: Merc, MW3 & MW4/BK/Merc plus Mech Commander 1&2/Gold. Read a few of novels.
Yes, I am an old fart too at 59 :P

#285 Shane W

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFLW

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Boy I thought I would be one of the Old school guys but guess not. I barely remember the Battledroids but started with the TT and have all My minatures still and the original Sword and Dagger Book but Stackpole was the best writer of the books.

#286 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

I have been playing since the start; when you had to walk barefoot and uphill in a blizzard to get to the mechbay. At 53, I'm both looking forward and dreading having my mech taken down by some "punk kid". Eight years of college and I'm still excited about giant robots. My patients, on the other hand, will have to listen to me waxing on the wonders of MWO.

#287 DJO Maverick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

29 now, started tabletop actually with Battlespace first in 3rd grade, mainly to tide me over until I could get a copy of 3rd Edition. Consequently, I've always loved the space combat system... oh well.

Got my friends into it and played the RPG as well up until college when they drifted off. Hard to find people to play tabletop with around here now. =(

The Mechwarrior SNES game was technically my first exposure even before the board game though, then on to MW2 and everything up to the present (except that Mech Assault crap... blech!).

And I have spent my fair share of time in Tesla pods, but not nearly enough.

#288 Deux

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 474 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

View PostKensaisama, on 26 February 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Interested in seeing how many grizzled old battletech/mechwarrior veterans are out there like me. I will be 46 this year and have been playing/gaming for 33 years now, I remember when battletech first came out when I was a senior in high school (1984), played the first battletech computer game crescent hawks inception and every battletech/mechwarrior game ever since. So........... who's gonna own up to being an old gamer like me :-)

Yours in blood and honor
Kensai the wandering warrior

I right there with you, turned 40 this year

#289 Braedin

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

47 here started playing march 3 1985 when it was by bday present called battledroids. still have cescant hawks revenge. mw1 on both 5 1/4, 3.5 floppies. mw2 and 3, did buy 4 i didnt like it. got mech commander 1 and 2. hope this game lives up to what i hope it will be.

#290 Dirk Drywall

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

Turned 40 this year started playing in 1988. I have played all the computer versions of the game. But nothing beats making someone mark critical spots off a mech sheet. Give me a table, dice and miniatures any day.

#291 MadMass

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

45 IRL. Have many, many fond memories of MW2. Loved riding in the Timber Wolf. Hated the Jenner with a passion.

#292 Ori Klein

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Only 30, but I'm feeling much older.

#293 Voltas

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationDetroit MI

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

39 year old warrior. Been playing Mechwarrior since MW1 and the table top through ALL the owners! AND NOW and LEGENDARY FOUNDER for this! woot.

#294 Wingtips

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

43 here. I first played the boardgame about 26 years ago!.

I've played many of the BT games available since then and its been far too long since we had any new ones, so I'm very very pleased to see this one getting to the playable point. It should be good.

Now if I could find someone local into the TT that would keep me out of trouble for the rest of the year, and probably longer...

#295 Deathjester

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

I'm only 30 but I started with the original MechWarrior back in '89. Since then I've played MW2, Ghost Bears Legacy, Mercenaries, MW3 and Pirates moon, MW4, Black Knight and Mercenaries, MechCommander 1 and 2, a bit of Living Legends and even some MechAssault. Even managed to find a few people now and then to play some TT, unfortunately they're few and far between on this side of the world.

#296 Aeryk Corsaer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostKensaisama, on 26 February 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Interested in seeing how many grizzled old battletech/mechwarrior veterans are out there like me. I will be 46 this year and have been playing/gaming for 33 years now, I remember when battletech first came out when I was a senior in high school (1984), played the first battletech computer game crescent hawks inception and every battletech/mechwarrior game ever since. So........... who's gonna own up to being an old gamer like me :-)

Yours in blood and honor
Kensai the wandering warrior

Right with you, Kensai. Graduated in 1985 and been playing, reading, and designing 'Mechs ever since!

#297 SmAuthor

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 38 posts
  • LocationOwasso, Oklahoma

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

~S~ all

Ret. Lft.Col. SmAuthor HHoD <Arch Angels> reporting.

Looking for some HeadHunters. :D

Alyward, Iron, XMen, Eagle, Blacksunshine, Wombie Peta, Jedi, Mustang, Crusher, Memnoch, Dexter, Bat'leth, Jaxom, AlleyCat, MegaTech, Hawkeye... I could go on, but yeah, this line of MechWarriors goes way back to AOL Solaris play.

Hope to see everyone in the MechBays, I've got some serious rust to get rid of.

Edited by SmAuthor, 21 June 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#298 Scimitar

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria, Australia

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

Haha, by comparison to you lot i'm pretty newschool but I first played MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat when I was just 5 and I loved it to bits (admittedly my uncle helped me play) so if I turns out I've been a MechWarrior fan for 3/4 quarters of my life :D Still some of the most fun I had was playing a D20 RPG set in the battletech universe. Played that all through high school till my character got slagged by a lucky gauss shot in the final campaign our game master was running. I played a little bit of the tabletop game but it was too expensive for me to play as much as I'd have liked =( I'm so excited to get back into the cockpit, it's been a long since there has been any activity. While I may not be an old hat to you guys I'm a devoted (near) life long fan of the franchise.

#299 Thanar Carns

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

I'm a young 35 but have been playing BT games since High School. guess with these ossified old folks makes me a noob huh :D

#300 Thoth

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

I'm knee high to 40, and I've been playing since the early 80s.

Can't wait for the battle to commence!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users