Western Role-Playing Video Games

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Western RPG Series (24 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you favorite Western RPG?

1. Baldur's Gate (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

2. Neverwinter Nights (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. The Elder Scrolls (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Pre-Bethesda Fallout (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Post-Bethesda Fallout (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

6. The Witcher (2 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

7. Dragon Age (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

8. Mass Effect (5 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

9. Planescape: Torment (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Icewind Dale (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Diablo (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

12. Deus Ex (2 votes [8.33%] - View)

13. System Shock 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

14. World of WarCraft (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

16. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Might and Magic (0 votes [0.00%])

18. Ultima (2 votes [8.33%] - View)

19. Knights of the Old Republic (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

20. Fable (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NameTheftVictim

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

So the latest genre of video gaming I've gotten into is the RPG, and I've been wondering which series you guys play, if you do play 'em. And yes, I know there's another entire genre of RPG's over in that little island called Japan that I'm ignoring, but for the moment, I'm more interested in the European and American varieties.

I'm only going to list the series that have received wide critical acclaim from critics (85% or above on GameRankings) or dedicated cult fanbases, for the sake of not overloading the poll options, but if there are any not on the list that you prefer, feel free to name it.

#2 CloakRogue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

definatly knights of the old republic

your fellow mechwarrior,
CloakRogue

#3 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

While I have played a whole lot of them at some point, Diablo was the one that gave me the most satisfaction even though it's somewhat light hearted on its RPG elements. Mass effect is also a series I like. I'm probably the type that likes the RPG aspect, but also need some action.

#4 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Stalker.

What? Only true RPGs? Ok...
Then I'll go with Deus Ex, followed closely by the Elder Scrolls.

Also, at least one user will reinstall Deus Ex after reading this poll.

#5 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Well, I voted Dragon age but only because that's where I made start when I got into the RPG genre in '09. When I say Dragon Age I mean Origins, the first game. It blew my mind how far gaming had come since I gave up a few years back. Since then I've made my way through pretty much the whole list of games you have there. They each bring something new to the table, some of it good, and some of it ooooh soo bad. Mass Effect is another series I love. Basically anything bioware, you really can't go wrong, and the only bad in it is usually the crap EA stick in. Bethesda's good too, not really a fan of the Elder Scrolls 3/4, but 5 I really like. And their take on the fallout universe is interesting, and shouldn't be passed up. I didn't go near it, because of the bad press from the old school fallout club. Then I gave in and tried it out last year, and I regreted listening to the nay sayers. Obsidian's New Vegas pretty much brings the game back in line with the old using the new. People complain of game breaking bugs, but I haven't seen any in all my playthroughs.

Final point, play what interests you. And don't listen too much to other peoples opinions. Check game play videos of the games out online on youtube if you're not sure, that if nothing else will determine whether a game is going to be worth the time or not.

#6 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

I'm surprised no one has picked Baldur's Gate yet. With that in mind though, I picked Mass Effect.

#7 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I picked Fallout, post-Bethesda. I love the gritty feel and unforgiving world. Story overall is a little on the "meh" side, but it has more than enough exploration and combat to keep me hooked. I've had to play through the game three times now due to hard drive crash (when I had it on PC) and Xbox death (when I got it for Xbox). I'm still sticking with the Xbox version though; it runs just as well and my new console is one of the tougher ones (my first Xbox was one of the originals; it took five years for it to get hit by the red ring of death).

#8 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

I love RPGs, but unfortunately the genre is dying.

In the last year there were three major RPG releases and I don't think any of them were really good examples of the RPG. At the core of a good RPG is a good story and the ability to effect the world around you on a meaningful level.

1) Dragon Age 2 - After the initial shock of the game becoming an action game I started to get into the game as it appeared to have all the thing I ask of a good RPG. It wasn't until the end that I released that the game was on rails and that non of my actions had anything but the most superficial effects. The final battle section in which none of my actions up to this point has any effect left a really bad taste in my mouth and I now find the game deeply unpalatable.

I congratulate the ex-demiurge guys at Bioware who were given the writing task, they took a deeply flawed and boring story and gave it feeling and emotional depth, but the basic game design on this is so flawed that they were unable to save it.

2) Deus Ex: Human Revoltuion - I hate this game, it's a Japanese RPG with a superficial Western RPG skin, the fact that it claims a deep arcing storyline with multiple is a LIE. The deep branching plot is a machine with 4 buttons at the end and 4 bad epilogues that don't make any sense or take into account your actions.

Once again an on rails RPG with a single story arc and no way to effect the world beyond a superficial level. This game left such a bitter taste in my mouth that by the end of this Game I was having fond memories of Alpha Protocol, which was a deeply flawed but more satisfying game in terms of story and writing.

3) Elder Scrolls Skyrim - Ok this another game claiming to be an RPG that isn't. So you go through the game world solving problems and adventuring and what effect does this have on the game world... nothing, you stop the civil war and what happens. People still complain about the civil war, the rebels and the imperials.

You get through the absurd end game (SPOILER look mum I killed entropy in the universe) kill the big bad dragon who is bringing other dragons back to life and what happens... once again nothing, people still complain about dragon. Justifiable really because Dragons are still coming back to life.

This is a pretty poor sandbox game using the fact that it is an "RPG" to excuse the fact that it isn't as much fun as ST Row, as interesting as La Noire or atmospheric as Red Dead Redemption. I don't get how this was game of the year.

I have to say that 2011 drained my faith in the western game industry to produce decent RPGs, when a sandbox actioner like inFamous has more RPG elements then a dedicated RPG release then I have to say that there is something wrong with the system.

The sole bright spot, or so I have been told, is the Witcher 2. I have been told by several people who I generally agree with that this was the best RPG released in the last 3-4 years. I haven't played it yet, my PC wasn't able to play it on release and I'm waiting for some holidays to spend some serious time with the game (and I'm waiting for 7950s to arrive so I can finish my PC rebuild).

I'm looking at 2012 and I'm hoping that Bioware doesn't muck up Mass Effect 3 and apart from that it's Risen 2 and the Secret world, games whose lead designers and creative talent are based in Europe.

Let's hope 2012 is a better year for the RPG.

In relation to the actual topic my favourite RPGs are those produced by the old Interplay Bioware alliance. The writing talent of Interplay (later Black Isle, later Obsidian) combined with the tech know how of Bioware was a winning combo that produced a golden era of PC RPGs.

Now if you excuse me I now feel very old and grumpy, I think I'll go chase some kids of my lawn.

#9 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Played quite a few there so here are my thoughts:

The Witcher. Widely overlooked and plenty of problems on launch, they have all been addressed in the Enhanced Edition which is available dirt cheep. The most Fun and grown up game on the list. Very funny while still being pretty dark story wise. The only one that is full of 'Moments' whether they be Holy ****, OMG or just LOL. I cannot recommend this one enough to anyone who has not tried it. Even my RPG/fantasy/sci-fi despising/only plays BF2 and flght sims friend loved it.

Morrowind. Forget Oblivion and leave Skyrim until it is on budget label. This is the Elder Scrolls game to start with especially now with the truely amazing graphics updates available free online, looks like Skyrim if your PC can handle them (mine cannot unfortunately). It is an experience with an amazing game world to explore and get lost in. Also available with its expansions for dirt cheap now.

If you want to try a AD&D game go with Baldur's Gate and its sequel. Yet again dirt cheap. Good sense of humour.
May be able to get in a pack with the also excellent Planescape: Torment and/or Neverwinter Nights.

I would say get all three of the above. The best out there, very different types of games and styles and you will get each one for under €10 (or near enough) online. You should also try a few of the others but I would say you cannot go wrong with these three especially since so cheap now.

If you like Star Wars and great character interaction (which you will also find in The Witcher and BG) Knights of the Old Republic is a must have. Very good games although pretty much RPG on rails games. While some of the NPC character development is really good if your not into Star Wars and want a sci-fi RPG probably try Mass Effect instead.

System Shock 2 was great but will look extremely dated now, maybe try Dead Space, it is pretty similar and also a great game. Would not really consider either these or Deus Ex real PRG games more FPS with RPG elements. Still Dead Space worth trying as a game itself.

Deus Ex I think was a bit over hyped still was pretty good in its day although nothing special now, still better than its sequels however.

Diablo is pretty much a brainless hack'n'slash, maybe try Divine Divinity instead, it is the exact same game engine and game play action wise but with a storyline, quests and all the other usual RPG stuff. I think Dragon Age is a sequel of sorts to the Divine Divinity games.

Have Vampire on Steam but not tried it yet, played the game before it Vampire: The Masqurade and it was OK but was a good bit older.
Also have Mass Effect 1 and 2 on Steam but have not played either so do not know anything about them other than meant to be very good.

Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale are just like BG but have not played, as far as know BG still the best although NN2 is also meant to be excellent.

Never liked the Fallout series, tried Fallout 1 and 3 but just did not take to them even though my brother loves Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 28 February 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#10 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

For the list only Mass Effect and Witcher. :D

But the best is the Witcher. I mean, only reason it didn't become GOTY is the bias for USA made games on all the sites, which are Americans, too. No offense. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users