Favorite past Mechwarrior game

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite MW game (146 member(s) have cast votes)

What was your favorite Mechwarrior PC game?

1. Mechwarrior (7 votes [4.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.79%

2. Voted Mechwarrior 2 with expansion (18 votes [12.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.33%

3. Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries (38 votes [26.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.03%

4. Voted Mechwarrior 3 with expansion (38 votes [26.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.03%

5. Mechwarrior 4 with expansions (11 votes [7.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.53%

6. Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries (34 votes [23.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OldChieftain

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

Had to go with 4 I loved the Sunder, so customizable. I want to customize everything right down to the paintjob.

#22 Hood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

The original all the way. Good mystry story line that you had to follow. You could also win the game with al kinds of differant lance configs.

I dont know how many of you played the Cressent Hawks but I thnk it was notable as well.

#23 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

For me it would me Mech Commander 1 because it was finally a C&C style (top look) strategy game with mechs.

Talking about that. Mech Commander 1 and 2 are missing from the voting options.. and the monumental Mech Assault of course (just kidding :D )

#24 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Mechwarrior 4 with Expansions. Espetially the expansions made by MekTek.
And @ Rushin Rulette: The Question was : " Favorite past Mechwarrior game "
Not the past Battletech Universe installations.

Edited by The Basilisk, 19 September 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#25 talek

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

MW - To much old for me
MW2 - Fantastic, great game
MW3 - Simple Shootem´up...sorry, but in my opinion, not worthy of the saga Mechwarrior
MW4 - Great history, great game system, great multiplayer game...the best for me...
MW4MERCS - Great, really fantastic but toooooooo short in my opinion....

#26 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

Gotta say MW2: Mercs, especially the part when the Clans invade.

#27 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationOver there. No. Over there.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

I'd have to say 3-while the story was...meh, the visuals and physics were (for the time) exceptional. You blew something up, it done stayed "blowed up."

#28 TheBruce78

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnder that pile of LRMS...yeah, really.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Mechwarrior 3 for me. The customization there was crazy. I tried turning an Anihalator into a missle boat once, and wound up blowing it apart on the first shot thanks to an overheat... ah, memories.

#29 Milo Morashi

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPinal County, AZ

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Mechcommander

#30 TechNoir

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

Mechassault for the original xbox :) does that count? Its based in the Battletech universe. I loved that game so much. Sad that microsoft no longer supports original xbox titles.

#31 Ducks Guts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAZ U.S.A.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostTechNoir, on 21 September 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Mechassault for the original xbox ;) does that count? Its based in the Battletech universe. I loved that game so much. Sad that microsoft no longer supports original xbox titles.

Oof, expect backlash for that one but I'm with you. Even the second one (oh this is gonna hurt).

#32 Lazydiamond

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

MW2 Mercenaries hands down.

#33 Dragoon Furey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMichigan, U.S.A.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
Mission diversity, economic managment, largest selection of mechs.

Very close second would be MechCommander

#34 Ironsights

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostKantoken, on 19 September 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

Too bad I couldn't select Mechcommander, but yeah, technically it's not a MechWARRIOR game.

So, for Mechwarrior, its part 2, Mercenaries. Not because of it being the best/nicest/fluffiest, but it was the first I could play on my then pc without problems. The music, the sound, the graphics, it was awesome.
It confirmed that my interest in the Battletech universe was justified.

I agree - MechCommander 1 was my favourite of the old battletech games (I still play it), followed by Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries. Mercs had such a great feel about it, and I loved how the missions you picked took up time - so playing one mission might mean missing out on a different mission, allowing different story progression as you went. The whole mechbay setup and massive amount of chassis becoming available as you progressed, was all fantastic! It also had that retro simulator feel, instead of feeling just like an arcade game shoot-em-up. And the music - all the Mechwarrior 2 series (I had the Titanium versions) had fantastic music!

#35 vasile

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMendoza, Argentina

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

For me is MW4. Before I get kill ,I know it does not have the best gameplay, but the story was great for an early 2000 game. Gave context and meanning to the battles and maded it more fun, MW3 was very sterile in comparison.

Though I must say the MFB made that game feel real, how you were force to choose what to bring alone and what to leave behind. I remember having to choose between a sunder and an avatar once, I went with the sunder in the end.

MW3 better mechanics MW4 more context and better story. I hope some day someone will make a single plar MW once again.

#36 Weird Beard

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

MW2 mercs was my favourite. I loved playing the IS and earning the cash, salvaging and basically feeling like I was making a living. The narrative was good, variety of mechs, customisation of mechs and cut scenes were great and missions were awesome. There really wasn't anything not to like about it. MW3 was awesome too as the eye candy was better etc but it didn't get my top vote because the things it was better at were really only because of advances in graphics etc. It just didn't have the depth of mercs.

As an added note, you really have to give the original game props. They were pioneers in their day and the story was well told given the restrictions of technology at the time.

Edited by Weird Beard, 22 September 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#37 Alexander Sakamoto

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSt-Jé, Québec

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'll go with MW2:Mercs cause it was just great! Great selection of mechs and awesome merc missions. But if I could choose in the BT universe I'd go with MechCommander. I still play today and in fact, I'm going to right now! XD MWO is turning out to be a solid addition to the BT/MW franchise too for me liking.

Edit for typo.

Edited by Alexander Sakamoto, 22 September 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#38 TheRuntMan

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAlaska, U.S.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

I've gotta say... MW3. It was my first MechWarrior title and I have good memories playing with my brother and Dad. I just love the whole feel of the game. From the intro movie to the last mission the game always felt intriguing and interesting to me. It kindof had a sense of guerilla warfare, because your a lone IS unit surrounded by hostile Jaguars. Just you and your lance against the world. Oh, and the MFB's; they're pretty much the reason I survived through the game lol. Love the Elementals too. Seeing a hoards of those come running over a hill and blasting them literally to pieces with auto cannons and large lasers was awesome! It felt very much like you were driving an actual mech, for a video game atleast.

MW4 Mercs was probably a close second to me. Yea, all the MW4 titles were more arcady feeling, but I love the vast amount of mechs available in MW4 Mercs. There were so many missions to choose from that the campaign was worth playing through multiple times. They also added my two favorite light mechs (Owens and Puma)! Solaris was super awesome partially because of the huge amount of C-bills I got! Although I do agree that the whole game in regards to the mechs was bigger = better, something that I'm glad does not apply to MWO.

MW4 Vengeance is my third choice. I really enjoyed the whole Steiner usurping Davion thing (or whatever it was) for the story line. The missions seemed to have a purpose other than making money, which was nice. Sometimes hearing the dude in MW4 Mercs yak on about how much money he's going to make got quite annoying. "Oh we gonna have a lot of money after we kill this dude! C-bills, c-bills, c-bills! WHAT!? An assault mech? This wasn't in the contract!!!" Just shut up and put me in the mech already!!! Ok it wasn't quite like that, but anyways... The Blacknight expansion was cool but nothing extraordinary. Basically a 'throw-back' attempt at re-living the MW2 Merc days imo until they decided they might as well make a whole game instead >>> MW4 Mercs.

I haven't played any other MechWarrior titles (excluding MWO, which is shaping up to be AWESOME) so yeah, there's my 12 cents. :)

#39 Jonal

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUSA, California

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

I will always remember my first, when pwning with head shots on my 386. Then upgrading to a 486 only to get my butt kicked because everything moved so much faster. =p

#40 Kenshi Wolf

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

I would say MW2, but i got the trio of MW2 games with a comp that was to advanced to run them, and to this day cannot find a solution to this. I really began my mechwarrior career with MW3, and mech commander. they where easily the first real PC games i had tried not counting educational school stuff. they did shape me as i have a fondness for games that are either stratagy based, or reward stratagy and diverse thinking. I love climbing into the mech, in MW3 my fav was the madcat(Timberwolf, clanner that i can be) and its to this day one of my favorite designs, though it definatly wasn't as favorable in MW4 due to its wide center torso. I eventually got MW3 pirates moon, commander gold, and commander 2, as well as the MW4 series. To this day i love mechwarrior though admiting my very first BattleTech game, was the card game.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users