Steel and Snow OoC Thread

576 replies to this topic

#21 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Maybe mix some in, but not go all out?
Also, anyone have thought's on Mac's bio? I must run, but the good ser was looking for feedback, see that he gets some :angry:

#22 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 13 September 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Maybe mix some in, but not go all out?
Also, anyone have thought's on Mac's bio? I must run, but the good ser was looking for feedback, see that he gets some ;)

I'm going to throw my two sense in here on Mac's character. I'm personally not convinced on the Mech. The Stalker just doesn't feel right to me for her. Describing her keen senses and attention to detail on the battlefield not to mention how some of the pain goes away while she's being shot at. I can't help but picture either a fast brawler type maybe with jump-jets even or perhaps because of her pain, maybe something far more stand-offish like anything with an Arrow system. Just my thoughts anyway.

Edited by Oni Storm, 13 September 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#23 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hey I got tag laser that works great with arrow and semi guided haha.

#24 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Naga!!!!! or O-Bakemoto!! Heehee put him in the Berserker with TSM!

#25 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

I'm thinking of running an Arrow IV equipped mech, so maybe i won't necessarily be on the c3, but Durgan has a TAG to paint my targets.

#26 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Not sure if im reading this right or not but from the looks of it regular C3 Slave and master combo and link with other master to be as large as a company size, But the C3I can only do a lance.

http://www.sarna.net...C3_Command_Unit

#27 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

C3i, being designed by Comstar, does only connect the base level of their unit structures, but they have 6-strong "lances" (Level II units)

#28 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

too bad you don't have some Blakest to join your band ;)

#29 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

c3 makes my head hurt.

#30 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

The new character Bio is just waiting approval, I made sure to keep the relationship with Durgan's character in the background. So if it gets approved he'll just have to change the character name.

#31 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

To be entirely honest, having never played tabletop or a game that incorporates c3, I'm not entirely sure how c3 is supposed to work.
However:

[color=#000000]As well as serving to share the linked lance/companies targeting data, the C3 Command Unit also duplicates the function of [/color]Target Acquisition Gear[color=#000000] and can designate a target for [/color]Arrow IV[color=#000000] homing missiles and [/color]Semi-Guided LRMs[color=#000000].[/color]

So anyone mounting TAG, feel free to select a c3 slave instead...

Must be said, I love arty, so go for the Arrows if you want. But I do think the Arrow is vulnerable to AMS, unless someone corrects me...

As to Mac's character, I like her. At the moment though, we have three problems.
1) Sparks, Mac can't get SSW working. When he runs it, it freezes. Can you help him get it working?
2) She's unfinished. I love the concept, cool in combat, in pain outside it, so lives for the fight without being a bloodthirsty maniac. It's like Rick and Barrett had a quasi functional baby - but she's not rounded out yet. To me, nothing is wrong, so I don't know how to tell you to make her right.
3) She has a very midrange mech for 'Not in pain when being shot at'. If combat in general does it for her, 0 problems, but the Stalker is support - not engaged as often as a brawler. To me, her bio suggests a brawler - but it's not my call what you do with her, that's just what *I'd* do.
That being said, that's what I do with everything ever - it's why Dirk in the HAT thread is such a departure!

#32 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

C3 is pretty basic the C3 slaves send there targeting data to the C3 Master and it sends it to the rest of the Lance or Company. Basically giving everyone the radar range and readings of the slave Mechs. So in RP it would work out that lets say I'm outside everyone's radar range and I've detected a target they can then target it as well and weapons that have longer range then there radar like Arrows and Gauss and can be fired at the targets since they can now see them. At least that's always have I've understood it so can we keep it or still want us to cut it out?

EDIT: Wording this so I don't break any NDA but you've had to played the Beta a bit and it works just like how the current targeting system works.

Edited by Durgan Carlyle, 13 September 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#33 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostDurgan Carlyle, on 13 September 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

C3 is pretty basic the C3 slaves send there targeting data to the C3 Master and it sends it to the rest of the Lance or Company. Basically giving everyone the radar range and readings of the slave Mechs. So in RP it would work out that lets say I'm outside everyone's radar range and I've detected a target they can then target it as well and weapons that have longer range then there radar like Arrows and Gauss and can be fired at the targets since they can now see them. At least that's always have I've understood it so can we keep it or still want us to cut it out?

Something like that... let's say we get a TR1-Wraith (God's, I love that mech) drop a med pulse for a c3s and it runs up to four hexes (roughly 120 meters) from an Awesome and if you had a whole c3 network up, your Pillager at max range with it's gauss rifles could use the range modifiers from the Wraith, to shoot the Awesome. So instead of a +4 mod to hit (bad) you'd have no range modifier. (good)

Oh and that's what I've always enturpeted from C3 networks, I've never used them. So if any TT guru's want to correct enlighten me, feel free.

Edit sorry for deleted the previous post, MWO was acting r3tard3d at the moment and not letting me edit it.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 13 September 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#34 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

Oh I know the rough concept, I just don't know how it works in practice - I know that it uses the telemetry from the closer mech, but I'm not sure, specifically, how it benefits the further away mech.
However, now that I know it counts as TAG gear too, I assume it essentially uses the closer, and thus more precise calculations of the closer mech to return an X, Y, Z value and a suspected, and regularly (Say, every .1s, since that's what I'd be looking for as a minimum if I was programming this to a game) updated velocity that would allow for more accurate tracking.
So the way I see it, we have an Arrow IV arty mech, we have C3 for precision fire, and we have a very intelligent group of RPers...
I think I might just get away with this after all.

EDIT: Oh and Durgan, I never wanted C3 gone. Just because I don't know how to use it exactly doesn't mean I don't want it - usually it means I'm interested enough I want someone to use it so we can both be surprised!

Edited by RogueSpear, 13 September 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#35 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Yea, I had just found the table top rules to it. I was using my experience from earlier Mech warrior games to try and explain it. Sweet should make us into some crack shoots hopefully not to OP haha.

Edited by Durgan Carlyle, 13 September 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#36 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Too*
Oh don't worry. I haz plans. Terrible, terrible plans.
Because the GM made them, so they can't be overruled.
And no one will be able to tell them they're ridiculous until after they become canon.
*Giggles maniacally and tans another can*

#37 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 13 September 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Something like that... let's say we get a TR1-Wraith (God's, I love that mech) drop a med pulse for a c3s and it runs up to four hexes (roughly 120 meters) from an Awesome and if you had a whole c3 network up, your Pillager at max range with it's gauss rifles could use the range modifiers from the Wraith, to shoot the Awesome. So instead of a +4 mod to hit (bad) you'd have no range modifier. (good)

Oh and that's what I've always enturpeted from C3 networks, I've never used them. So if any TT guru's want to correct enlighten me, feel free.

Edit sorry for deleted the previous post, MWO was acting r3tard3d at the moment and not letting me edit it.

Well having played the TT and been involved with BattleForce you have it mostly correct. In the table top if it's an arcing weapon like missles you use the spotter mech and only get pluses against you if say he has a light group of trees (+1 to hit) between him and the target. If however you have a Gauss or other straight fire weapon you still have to be within it's range and have a line of sight to the target, I.E. no shooting through mountains of groups of 3 light trees across the path of hexes between you and the target. You do however count your range when it comes to proximity of the spotter. so for example if he was within short range of the target mech I believe he added to your dice roll to hit by like +2 to the die roll if I remember correctly.

P.S. And if I didn't know better I'd think Thom and Rogue were talking about me. you leave my Wraith alone darnit :)

Also Also Note: The GM is always an evil vile despicable bass-tard that can and usually will use your ideas and vastly overpowered weapons arsenal against you at some point. I.E. in D&D never smite your arrowheads :P

Edited by Oni Storm, 13 September 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#38 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Its the New Me!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Garland “Gant” Alan Henderson-McCoy Jr.
Call sign: El Huevo (The Egg)
Hair: Dark
Eyes: Green
Appearance: Stocky, with heavily tanned skin. A trait inherited from his mother, a descendant of the origional Native American and Mexican settlers of Sirra
Vehicle: CPLT-C3 Catapult, “Mudhead Masher” graffiti painted on the boxy Arrow IV launcher mounted on his machine’s ‘shoulder’.

Born to parents hailing from Sierra, one of the infamous “Trinity of Southwestern Worlds”, in the Free World’s League, Garland “Gant” Henderson-McCoy Jr. was raised by his father Garland Alan Henderson-Coy Sr., a Lance Commander in the mercenary 17th Reconnaissance Regiment more commonly known as Comacho’s Caballeros. Taught from a young age to view the mercenary regiment as an extension of his own family, Gant, like nearly every child in the Caballeros, was learning to pilot Cattlemaster-industrial Mech’s before his 12th birthday. He inherited his current machine when his Uncle Nero "Marachi" Padilla passed away after a yearlong battle against liver cancer brought on by heavy drinking. The Arrow IV equipped Catapult was a good fit to the young man, who excelled in the role of artillerymen and enjoyed “dropping the heavy end” on any opposing forces.

Unfortunately, the Caballeros found themselves caught in the path of Clan Smoke Jaguar during the Clan invasion. Caught unaware on the Kuritan world of Jeronimo the Clan invaders decimated the Caballeros reducing the regimental sized unit to less than half of its personal. Counted amongst the dead was Gant’s father, who along with several other members of the regiment threw themselves against the clan onslaught in a rear guard action, some going so far as to call friendly artillery fire down onto themselves as they were swarmed by Elemental battle armor. The grief stricken Gant like the rest of his mercenary family swore vengeance against clans for the deaths of their loved ones.

Barely existing on low level contracts, the Caballeros had a change of fortune when they were hired by Chandrasekhar Kurita, a close cousin of Coordinator Theodore Kurita, to protect his business assets. However, after rumors of Chandrasekhar’s under the table dealings with members of the Clan Diamond Shark Merchant caste Gant left the Caballeros, unwilling to work for a man who had ties to the Clan invaders that took his father from him.

Unable to find permanent work, Gant bounced from one minor mercenary unit to the next before eventually finding his way to the Combine world of Zalaf, where he met another young veteran of the clan war, Jon Lee Yu a “disgraced warrior”. The two mechwarriors quickly became friends, despite cultural differences, and have since made their way off world together hoping to find greener pastures and hopefully (To Gant at least) a chance to pay the Clan’s back for the father's death.

Assessment: Gant has a knack for landing the massive Arrow IV warheads exactly where they’re needed…most of the time at least. When working in unison with his comrade Jon Lee Yu, or other pilots mounting Target Acquisition Gear (TAG), Gant’s presence on the battlefield becomes an absolute blessing to his allies, and a massive threat to his opponents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all of our current goodies, we're going to solve so many crimes I mean, fight so many badguys!

Edited by Gammadin, 17 September 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#39 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 13 September 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

To be entirely honest, having never played tabletop or a game that incorporates c3, I'm not entirely sure how c3 is supposed to work.
[...]
So anyone mounting TAG, feel free to select a c3 slave instead...

Uh, the C3 Master has TAG built in, so my Cent will be able to designate for artillery barrages as well, but the C3 slaves don't.

In addition to Thom's note above about how C3's work, units still only care about their own movement modifier. So if that Wraith had used his jump jets to get that close, he'd be looking at a +3 penalty to hit (and a bucket-load more be hit too), but the Pillager gets none of that. So the Pillager might need 4s to hit, the Wraith need 7s, and the Awesome needs 8s to even think about returning fire on the distance Pillager, let alone the jump-jetting-like-a-manic Wraith.

I've generally assumed it worked kinda of like an absolute position in space thing. One 'Mech on its own with its single position of sensors can get an okay range and bearing on a target, but not great. The closer you are, the better it gets (uncertainty is reduced). If your C3 system can keep tabs on where it's member units are in relation to each other, you can share the position/velocity of a target with the entire group, since instead of aiming at a target your own sensors see poorly, you aim "blind" by the much better data provided by the closest spotter. This theory works better for BattleTech's "shoot that Atlas for me, computer" targeting rather than MechWarrior's "aiming my crosshairs" targeting, though it could be argued that the crosshairs are simply an advanced mouse cursor that you use to specify what you want to shoot.

View PostRogueSpear, on 13 September 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

As to Mac's character, I like her. At the moment though, we have three problems.
1) Sparks, Mac can't get SSW working. When he runs it, it freezes. Can you help him get it working?
2) She's unfinished. I love the concept, cool in combat, in pain outside it, so lives for the fight without being a bloodthirsty maniac. It's like Rick and Barrett had a quasi functional baby - but she's not rounded out yet. To me, nothing is wrong, so I don't know how to tell you to make her right.
3) She has a very midrange mech for 'Not in pain when being shot at'. If combat in general does it for her, 0 problems, but the Stalker is support - not engaged as often as a brawler. To me, her bio suggests a brawler - but it's not my call what you do with her, that's just what *I'd* do.
That being said, that's what I do with everything ever - it's why Dirk in the HAT thread is such a departure!

1) I can certainly try, though "it freezes" isn't much to go on. Does he have Java 6 installed?
2) I think the thing that's missing from Juri is a sense of connection. So far, she's very much an "in the moment" character; we know how she is right now and internally, but have little context to consider how she reacts to external things. I think most of that has been left open to better mould her into something that connects with the rest of the group, but that's why I think she feels incomplete.
3) I agree, the Stalker seemed an odd choice to me too. Being odd doesn't make it wrong, though; good characters are full of contradictions.

#40 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

*Homer Simpson voice.* Doh!!! forgot about terrain. But terrain mostly becomes a factor when you use maps. I prefer using actuall terrain on a giant a$$ table, like the guys do at the gamecons.

Short range no modifier. Med +2 Long+4

Min range, varies.

CLPL + Tcomp +C3 network +decent pilot = EVIL

View PostRogueSpear, on 13 September 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

become canon.

While skimming your post Rogue, I read those two words and saw bacon cannon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users