Official

304 replies to this topic

#241 T0RC4ED

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

Totally EPIC... I want the option to operate/fly the dropship.

#242 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostT0RC4ED, on 02 March 2012 - 01:45 AM, said:

Totally EPIC

Signed. I absolutely love the Trailer. It has the right Battletech feel to it, something I was missing for years (and the latest MW-games).

Only point that irritated me a bit was the vastness of the DS's interior. Following the descriptions from the TRs and novels, I always imagined the space inside a DS (especially one of the smaller ones like the Leopard) to be extremely cramped. I remember the description for the mech bays to be something like "mech in, mech out" without any room to move it in between the loading and unloading. Seeing that Atlas being moved through that cavernous hangar with so much space to waste actually surprised me a bit :D

Neverthelsess thats artistic freedom and I'm glad if such minor points are the only ones we have to complain about in the end - as for now, it definitely looks that way, so keep on doing such great work! ;)

#243 Logan30

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

I hope this means we are close to a bata test and soon to be release date. Please

#244 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

On a random note... to pay respect to something of an inside joke from my Mechwarrior 3 days, I muted the trailer and played Magic Carpet Ride alongside it. Not a 100% perfect match, but if you start the video at the 4 second mark on the song, it works out pretty well.

#245 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostThundercles, on 02 March 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

On a random note... to pay respect to something of an inside joke from my Mechwarrior 3 days, I muted the trailer and played Magic Carpet Ride alongside it. Not a 100% perfect match, but if you start the video at the 4 second mark on the song, it works out pretty well.

Wait, what?

;)

#246 Tizona

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostSpooky, on 01 March 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Ah, 2457 already? Seems like the Sarna entry is wrong?

The Sarna entry lists the Mechwarrior RGP module "Unbound" as reference, a rather controversial book even in BT canon. That book is from 1991, while Tactical Operations was published in 2008 IIRC, so in the case they both refer to the same item, info in TO superserdes that of Unbound.

I think, anyway, that both items aren't exactly the same, as combat drops have been performed nearly from the begining (2437 IIRC). Further clarification may require posting a question in the "Ask the Lead Developers" section in the forums at bg.battletech.com

#247 Scifi Toughguy

• PipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

I need that music!!!! When can we have it? At least a name of the artist?

All those worrying about how canon the depiction in that video is? WHO CARES??? Its the awesomest thing to happen to Battletech in a decade.

The old Leopard dropship doesn't hold a candle to the new one. 27.5 thumbs up folks!

Edited by Scifi Toughguy, 02 March 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#248 DarkReaver

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationJihad Day,Hellgate

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Sweet Drop Atlas! Hope it crush some hapless light mech on the way down!!!

#249 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Having the cockpit behind the "left eye" is really...bizarre. That's the kindest way I can think of putting it.

Not sure why that decision was made...makes ZERO sense.

If anything, have the pilot looking thru the "nose" is almost preferable.

At least have the cockpit somewhat centered in the head, with all 3 view ports available and the perhaps a screen between the "eyes" for a somewhat seamless view.

Also, the way the eye/viewport is currently rendered it does not appear to be any thicker than car windshield.

Seriously? Why the hell is the pilot that close to the viewport in the first place? Doesn't make much sense.

***?

Overall the effort to bring this game to life is beyond amazing, and I've held my tongue on some nitpicks regarding certain things to date...but some recent choices have left me puzzled. :mellow:

I can be silent no more.

I agree with others the mechs seem to be scaled to big, and if something could be done about that, great. If not...well, I'm sure most could live with it. :)

The monocle on the Commando is another example of a *** moment. Adds nothing and only detracts from what I believe is the ultimate representation of this classic mech.

Greebles for the sake of greebles? No thanks.

Why block half of the viewport...unless...<shudder>...this Commando's cockpit is jacked-up like the Atlas.

FD has done amazing work for Battletech in general...ever seen his version of the Helios? Or any of the updated TRO covers? Jaw-dropping.

Edited by Burning Chrome, 02 March 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#250 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostBurning Chrome, on 02 March 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Seriously? Why the hell is the pilot that close to the viewport in the first place? Doesn't make much sense.

Having 100 ton robots with people placed nest to nuclear "power plants" never made sense, either. Or the Mad Cat, for example...

At least it's not glass, just transparent armor. :)

#251 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostBurning Chrome, on 02 March 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Having the cockpit behind the "left eye" is really...bizarre. That's the kindest way I can think of putting it.

It was established by a few people already that technically the pilot has always been behind the left eye.

Scale is also not off. They have confirmed the Atlas is 16 or so metres which is canon. I think it is more these guys have finally been able to get the scale right for the first time ever and that is why it seems to large. As someone said, go look at the Japan 1:1 scale gundam. it is 18m and people do not even come up the ankle. I think everyone forgets that these are freaking massive machines and not some power suit or Core.

#252 Blue Dragon

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

This thing can't fly!

Seriously, you should stretch out those Leopard's wings a bit...

#253 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 02 March 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

It was established by a few people already that technically the pilot has always been behind the left eye.

What people and where was this established? I've been playing Battletech since it was Battledroids and have never seen any data to support that statement. Indeed, the artwork I saw a long time ago of the Atlas cockpit had the pilot/command chair in the center with a large screen between the "eyes"/viewports. Not sure if I have it anymore...will have to dig thru the archives. Besides, viewports are secondary to the HUD "suspended in a hazon mist" or what ever the hell the novels said

Scale is also not off. They have confirmed the Atlas is 16 or so metres which is canon. I think it is more these guys have finally been able to get the scale right for the first time ever and that is why it seems to large. As someone said, go look at the Japan 1:1 scale gundam. it is 18m and people do not even come up the ankle. I think everyone forgets that these are freaking massive machines and not some power suit or Core.

Scale has always been an issue in Battletech and nobody here is thinking mechs are power suits.

Gundam statements/arguments are invalid and irrelevant, as this is Battletech. Battlemechs and Mobile Suits are complete different concepts.

I lived in Japan for 13 years and saw the "real Gundam", but again that has nothing to Battletech so I will not pursue any further points...well may be just this.

If you are ever find yourself in Japan you MUST play Gundam Kizuna...the PODS game. Pricey? Yep! Worth it? Yep! Am I still addicted to it despite not playing for 2 years? HELL YES!

View PostAdridos, on 02 March 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Having 100 ton robots with people placed nest to nuclear "power plants" never made sense, either. Or the Mad Cat, for example...

At least it's not glass, just transparent armor. :)

Assuming you meant "next" vs "nest"...

So today's nuclear submarines and ships do not make sense? I'm betting its much more safer in the future that is Battletech and wouldn't be considered odd/scarey/dangerous at all. The Russians even had nuclear powered lighthouses at remote coastal locations...guess how well that worked out? :D

If indeed you did mean "nest", then I agree. I does not make sense. :mellow:

Transparent armor being real, is still pretty thick. Can't recall if a B-1B's windshield is 3 or 7 inches thick? Couldn't tell by looking at it, until you saw where it met the frame/fusilage.

I get that this is a scifi universe/game, one that I've been almost religiously playing for most of my life (Gods...is that sad? No...can't be.) and truly appreciate the effort of all involved.

Edited by Burning Chrome, 02 March 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#254 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostBurning Chrome, on 02 March 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

So today's nuclear submarines and ships do not make sense? I'm betting its much more safer in the future that is Battletech and wouldn't be considered odd/scarey/dangerous at all. The Russians even had nuclear powered lighthouses at remote coastal locations...guess how well that worked out? :D

Yeah, I have made a typo. :mellow:

As for the defense of my argument. It is not like in a submarine, or actual powerplant. They are sitting in a seat, and they have the core right behind them, separated by something. Canon wise, they are almost nude because of the heat. Real-life wise, they would probably be dead in a very short time, because they are probably exposed to radiation the whole time. :)

Edited by Adridos, 02 March 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#255 Corsair114

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostAdridos, on 02 March 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Yeah, I have made a typo. :mellow:

As for the defense of my argument. It is not like in a submarine, or actual powerplant. They are sitting in a seat, and they have the core right behind them, separated by something. Canon wise, they are almost nude because of the heat. Real-life wise, they would probably be dead in a very short time, because they are probably exposed to radiation the whole time. :)

No need to wax your bikini line for those cooling jackets when the hair just falls out on its own.

#256 petrel

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Love the trailer and the drop ship report :)

Hot drops would add a lot more fun and complexity to the battles :mellow:

#257 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

The only problem with the (correctly scaled) Atlas is, that its eye would only be about 70cm wide. It's a problem you simply cannot overcome, if you don't want to change the Atlas' canopy.

#258 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostDarrin Thomason, on 01 March 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

That is all well and good for the Lep, however, how will the hot drops work for the oviod dropships?
One suggestion is that you could have them flying on their side, however, that would mean that the dropship sould not really be able to land on the map (needing to land on its bottom (effectivly)
Another one (this is what I assumed from reading the novels and deals with space drops) is that the mech cacoon is shoved out of the dropship.

What solution have you come up with for this?

The Leopard Class Dropship enters the atmosphere much like a 20th century NASA shuttle, a flying brick. The Ovoid's, Union and Overlord class, enter the atmosphere vertically - falling rocks. If you review the concept art from the TRO's you will notice that the drop bays are on the underside sides of the ovoid Dropships. Hopefully there are air baffles covering the bays to prevent a sudden inrush of air into the drop bay when the drop doors are opened - otherwise they better hope everyone and everything is strapped down or they will be jelly against the opposite wall. Other than that the drop remains the same, crane positions 'mech next to side drop-door and lets go.

#259 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostBlue Dragon, on 02 March 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

This thing can't fly!

Seriously, you should stretch out those Leopard's wings a bit...

As NASA showed with their 20th century flying brick, with powerful enough engines you can even make a brick, Shuttle, fly. The Leopard class is basically a much larger NASA shuttle with fusion engines.

#260 DjKaoS

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi!​​. This game is not based on a free online a few years ago was called "BattleTech 3025"? They stopped play for payment made​​. Someone played this game before? Greetings.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users