304 replies to this topic

#281 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostDayuhan, on 05 March 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

http://www.solaris7....Info.asp?ID=604

This one show a picture of the Overlord with one of the Dropbays partially open.

Those are just the regular doors leading into the hangar, where Mechs go in/out via a ramp.

Edited by Spooky, 05 March 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#282 Thain

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

AWesome can't wait

#283 Thalos

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

I wont say I have been a super big mech fan for years but I have been a fan and love the mech games I have played. I am very much looking foward to this game and they have just added another player to the base. Hope the gameplay is as good as what I seen in the trailer, being able to look around inside your cockpit is uber, the feel and depth looks quite good.

Bring it on boys! Looking foward to your beta! please...pretty please with choc, coconut :)

#284 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostSpooky, on 05 March 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Those are just the regular doors leading into the hangar, where Mechs go in/out via a ramp.

If you look farther up Spooky you will see similar doors for the Aerospace fighters. Here is the text from the TRO: "The complex 'Mech delivery system on most Overlords has been jury-rigged into unrecognizable jumbles of miscellaneous machinery. The sleek, efficient, and quiet original drop units have been replaced with unreliable, lumbering monstrosities. These often frustrate Overlord crews by breaking down in the heat of battle, forcing the Dropship to land and discharge its 'Mechs on the planet." - Battletech TRO 3025, page 172.

While the doors can be used to discharge the 'Mechs on planet that is not their intended purpose - they are meant to be used for hot-drops, just as the Aerospace doors higher up are meant to hot-launch Aerospace fighters.

#285 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

View PostDayuhan, on 06 March 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

If you look farther up Spooky you will see similar doors for the Aerospace fighters. Here is the text from the TRO: "The complex 'Mech delivery system on most Overlords has been jury-rigged into unrecognizable jumbles of miscellaneous machinery. The sleek, efficient, and quiet original drop units have been replaced with unreliable, lumbering monstrosities. These often frustrate Overlord crews by breaking down in the heat of battle, forcing the Dropship to land and discharge its 'Mechs on the planet." - Battletech TRO 3025, page 172.

While the doors can be used to discharge the 'Mechs on planet that is not their intended purpose - they are meant to be used for hot-drops, just as the Aerospace doors higher up are meant to hot-launch Aerospace fighters.

That was not the point. The point was, that the MWO team added bottom door bays for hot drops to the Leopard dropship, otherwise the Mechs would have to "leap" from the side doors, which would not make much sense. The same applies for the Overlord dropships, with the added difficulty, that no bays for hot drops can be imagined at the bottom of them.

It's all well and good, that the technical readouts say that there is some obscure mechanism for that, but that does not help the MWO team for how to implement this :). But as they already said, they do have a solution for this and we'll see what it entails some time in the future.

One thing I could imagine is a crane that stretches out beyond the doors and carries the Mech outside to be dropped.

#286 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostSpooky, on 06 March 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

One thing I could imagine is a crane that stretches out beyond the doors and carries the Mech outside to be dropped.

I imagine a rail / ejection type system. Basically something like you used to see at the beer store except not rollers but rails that allow gravity (or magnetic force) to shoot the jump-pods out the side.

#287 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostSpooky, on 06 March 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

That was not the point. The point was, that the MWO team added bottom door bays for hot drops to the Leopard dropship, otherwise the Mechs would have to "leap" from the side doors, which would not make much sense. The same applies for the Overlord dropships, with the added difficulty, that no bays for hot drops can be imagined at the bottom of them.

It's all well and good, that the technical readouts say that there is some obscure mechanism for that, but that does not help the MWO team for how to implement this :). But as they already said, they do have a solution for this and we'll see what it entails some time in the future.

The crane they show in the video for the Leopard would work easily as well on the Union and Overlord. Lowers the 'mech into the chute and then lets go. As long as the Spheroids are maintaining a slow level of descent air turbulance would not be a problem. Of course, if they loose an engine you will have chunky salsa inside the dropship. :lol:

#288 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

As far as the non-aerodyne DropShps (Union, Overlord, etc) go, I don't think that one could really get a 'Mech to drop from the bottom, as the fusion engines are there and the ship is either sitting on or just above them (while on the ground) or they're running (while in flight).

Given the presence of the door and ramp on the Union, I would expect that all non-aerodyne DropShips would employ such a system, where the 'Mechs essentially run along the ramp (which, while presumably extendable, would be extended only part-way, if at all) and jump out of the ship (with the forward momentum and ramp extension ensuring that the 'Mechs are clear of the DropShip's drive exhaust), or are launched via some form of catapult system built into the ramp (though, launching humanoid machines by catapult will probably strike some people as "too Gundam-like"). :)
Posted Image

Your thoughts?

#289 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 06 March 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I imagine a rail / ejection type system. Basically something like you used to see at the beer store except not rollers but rails that allow gravity (or magnetic force) to shoot the jump-pods out the side.

SPC?

#290 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 06 March 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Freaking loved and still love that show! Though Now I will have that theme song stuck in my head... Thanks :)

#291 Ndee

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

For all of you who looked for the Musik i think it's a part of

Wolfgang Gartner - Illmerica

#292 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostNdee, on 07 March 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

For all of you who looked for the Musik i think it's a part of

Wolfgang Gartner - Illmerica

That does sound surprisingly familiar...
Good find!

#293 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

Dayumn that Leopard looks way too sexy. Are you sure it's a good idea to spoil us that much? Hell, we might even want to fly that thing if you keep this up LOL

#294 Vultur109

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

death from the sky ;)

#295 Denemigo

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation. Arkhangelsk

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

This trailer reminded me of landing in the Terra Nova: SFC (PC game 96). Nice

#296 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hmmm it would be neat to add in a part where you could add in the landing of a dropship, and the enemy could oppose the landing with aerospace fighters that would decrease their spawns if the fighters get destroyed.

#297 Scepter

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

I just found out about this site and the new game, all I can say is cant wait!

#298 Gyric

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 97 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 06 March 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

LOOOOL!!!! sweet childhood memories ^^

#299 Daddio

• Pip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLook up!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

Surpurb design on the Lepard Class, cannot wait to see more! can you please give us a desktop of it?

#300 Soirebit

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Defantly a inspiring vid isnt it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users