books!!

15 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin Witchdoctor

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Ok, I have been a fan of the video games since MW3, and played the Wizkids Dark Age miniatures. I want to know what books I should start with to get an idea of what is going on during the time frame MWO is starting in.

#2 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Blood of Kerensky Trilogy - Michael A. Stackpole.

It covers the few years leading up to the clans - introduces you to all the politics of the current age and all of the main characters. The "warrior" trilogy occur before the time of the game but give you more background - and will let you see most of the mechs we will play with without all that clan stuff confusing you.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 29 February 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#3 GDL Irishwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

The Grey Death saga would be a good idea as well - and I'm not just saying that because of personal bias :). The first three give a decent introduction to the pre-Clan era; if you're interested in events after the Clans invade, the rest of the Grey Death Legion books have some background on the Free Skye movement and give you a good idea of the Steiner point of view of the events leading up to and during the FedCom civil war (unlike 90% of the other novels set at that time, which are almost universally pro-Davion)

#4 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

All I know is that the BT books that focused on assassination and political maneuvering (basically any thing with the Liao or Ryan Steiner) makes the BT universe seem like a crap place to live :/

#5 Vtack

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostListless Nomad, on 29 February 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

It covers the few years leading up to the clans - introduces you to all the politics of the current age and all of the main characters. The "warrior" trilogy occur before the time of the game but give you more background - and will let you see most of the mechs we will play with without all that clan stuff confusing you.

So yeah that'll pretty much do it. But I'd also reccomend the Warrior trilogy (which cover events right up to where we're at in the time line) http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B003K16NX4

and once the clans hit in a year and a half the Jade Phoenix trilogy (which occurs during the current timeline just from the clan perspective) http://www.amazon.co...&sr=1-3-catcorr

#6 geck0 icaza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

If you are looking for a Clan perspective (an odd one for that matter) try
Classic BattleTech: The Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy By Robert Thurston

#7 Penguin Witchdoctor

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Cool thank you guys for the help that was fast.

#8 Doc Holiday

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostListless Nomad, on 29 February 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Sick signature dude

#9 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

welcome to the forums and thanks - made it myself in photoshop. My favorite IS mech is the Argus, but its unfortunately out of timeline so I won't expect to play with it haha.

#10 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Moving to OFF TOPIC

#11 Publius Decius Mus

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationOhio, Terra

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

I just order Decision at thunder ridge and Blood of Kerensky 2. The Blood of Kerensky has been good so far. I got into the BT universe reading the Twilight of the clans and its still my favortie series but that is still a few years off from the current game timeline. Oh and I used Halp price books instead of Amazon to order my books, it supports small book stores and I've just had good luck with it so far. Have fun reading.

#12 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• 1,971 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Gray Legion books are ones of the best. But my personal favorite - Ideal War by C.Kubasik.
Have finished reading Far Country yesterday, so-called most heretical BT book ever :)

#13 bishop

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

What about books focusing on clan culture and such? I too have never read a battletech book but I would certainly like to. I'm mostly looking for action and character development.

#14 Lima Zulu

• 1,971 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

View Postbishop, on 05 March 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

What about books focusing on clan culture and such?

Definatelly not right thing to start from, IMHO. Just bot to be confused, that all BT universe is like Clans or merely oppose them.

#15 bishop

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Well then "action and character development."

#16 Lima Zulu

• 1,971 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

View Postbishop, on 05 March 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Well then "action and character development."

Books about Gray Death Legion have both :)

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users