Developer Appreciation (even Matt and Paul)

60 replies to this topic

#1 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Anthill suggested that we should have a dev appreciation thread, and I agree.

We all get caught up in making sure the devs get everything right, and that's ok. It's good to call them out and keep them on their toes about the myriad of things we want to see in our game, to make sure they don't get lazy. Every coin has two sides though, and it's easy to take a look at our forums and arrive at the conclusion that we're spoiled and maybe a little ungrateful, even if this isn't the case.

So this isn't a suck up thread, it's not a place to try to get stuff like an early beta invitation or some nonsense, but how about we occasionally post things we're glad they fixed, or worked on, or suggestions that were taken?

View PostBryan Ekman, on 29 February 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

At this very moment we have no plans on adding new BattleMechs. There are plenty to chose from. We feel our contribution to the BattleTech universe should come in the form of a visual reboot, making the game relevant again.

This is incredible! This is clearly about more than personal glory, and I really wanted to start hugging people after I read this. And I did, though most everyone was confused.

Also wonderful is the confirmation that mech variants will look different in game. I never, NEVER, in a million years thought I'd see this.

Basically,

**** YEAH

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

I toss some love to all the hardworking DEVs that are sweating many man hours and dealing I am sure with Paul more than any of us have to. "No do it again!"

Nahh seriously, these guys are freaking amazing! I can hardly wait to praise them 100x more after we see the juicy details of GDC!!

For many many years of blowing you all up! Here is to PGI! Damn good guys! I mean, you need to put up with all of us rabid BT/MW fans and what we have dreamt a game like this could be, i mean we had a decade to have many dreams... AND THEY ARE ALL COMING TRUE!

Posted Image

Thank you PGI for all your continued hard work... I expect you will be slaved to MWO for many many years!

#3 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Dawww, thanks everyone.

#4 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 02 March 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Dawww, thanks everyone.

QUIET, YOU! BACK TO WORK!

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Someone already sent them cookies for staying canon. Response to it was one of my first 10 posts. :mellow:

Also, many "Thank you" threads were made, but they became more of a spam than apretiation. :D

Let's hope this thread will get the attention it deserves. Oh, and I applaud them for Beta hula girl physics™. :)

#6 swamp hag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

:mellow: Thank you thank you thank you! For making the game, and for putting up with us. :)

(And a special thanks to KP because that fox is still adorable.)

Edited by Glory, 02 March 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#7 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

All what CoffiNail said basically. And I seriously have PGI as one of my top dev teams with how they usually talk to us and even have time to play games with us ((read:Paul having time to troll us with spoiler tags)). Not to mention giving us hints and info even when they must have a lot of work to do. And I must confess that this is my first time to actually engage with a forum to this degree I usually just play the game and stay of the forums, but the community and the devs here made this place a nice one to talk in, so again thank you PGI for all your wonderful work we fans REALLY love you all.

Edited by GDL Rahsan, 02 March 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#8 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

Dear Gaben PGI,
Where is half-life ep 3 I just wanted to say thank you for multiple reasons. The first reason is you have a sense of humour which you continuously share (and some may even say troll) the community. This level of involvement with a online community from a development team is something which I have neither heard of nor have I experienced and it is a VERY welcomed treat. Perhaps others should take note of PGI's community involvement, not to mention IGP's community involvement too. You all are open to talk and even just having a good time with the community and it is very nice to see this.

The second is for not sending us at NGNG a cease and desist letter, but rather encouraging us to continue and even possibly having people on the show at a later date (most likely after the busy hassle of GDC). Being able to talk to you gents, both on the forums and hopefully on the show in the future is always a treat. This is something that I never expected would happen and I highly look forward to more in the future.

Finally, the fact you are researching into the game. You have a large and well talented staff familiar with the universe and it shows your dedication to the project. You do not wish to just create a mech game with the name "warrior" strapped to the end of it, neg, you wish to bring us a true full Battletech experience. One which we have never had before. I applaud this, I give you a standing ovation even to the quality of the material and the seriousness taken in pursuit of a mechwarrior title resurrection.

PGI, thank you once more. There are many things I could list but I fear that Mr. Grimm would not enjoy reading a 5,000 word essay.
Enjoy GDC, have a good and fun time. We look forward from seeing great things and once more, a final thank you for bringing something back which I think everyone can agree is something they love.

Edited by Cattra Kell, 02 March 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#9 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

"I'm just hear to say good luck.we're all counting on you". LOL /LN*

#10 Death Blossom

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

And don't forget, the best way to show your appreciation is to support the financial model. Buy the premium content that comes out and support their other work. It appears to be a true labor of love for them that should be respected by us diehards.

#11 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostTsen Shang, on 02 March 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

So this isn't a suck up thread, it's not a place to try to get stuff like an early beta invitation or some nonsense, but how about we occasionally post things we're glad they fixed, or worked on, or suggestions that were taken?

Sure its not a suck up thread.. That of course coming from the one that created this "Not a suck up" suck up thread :)

As for a early beta invite.. I'm sure you don't have to suck up to get one.. (But it sure couldn't hurt.. :mellow: )

Anyway. From what I can tell they are a great group of guys with their eyes square on the prize.. and I think that prize is not just about making money, but more in wanting to get the game perfect.. { Of course making money would be great too }

I know once we actually get to see the game, there will be a lot more to appreciate them for..

Edited by Chuckie, 02 March 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#12 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

I really love that I can post a suggestion on this forum and an actual high-end company employee responds. They not only respond, but actually engage in open dialogue about our ideas and opinions. That is just amazing, it's way better than posting my heart out only to hear back from some unaffiliated, no-talent, two-bit, living-in-my-mother's-basement, trolling Community Moderator.

I mean, way to go, Dev team!

(side note: gotta love the Mods, too, if not for them My account would have been su-

[ACCOUNT SUSPENDED]

Edited by Prosperity Park, 02 March 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#13 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

"...even Matt and Paul"

What... the... hell?!??!

#14 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 02 March 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

"...even Matt and Paul"

What... the... hell?!??!

If you don't want it, we can always change the name of the thread to "Developer Appretiation (even Matt, but not Paul)". :)

#15 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Chuckie has it right.

PGI is smart. They looked at the gaming industry and went. A lot of people want to make money. So they make a game, to make this money. They focus on the money and the game is alright.

PGI's approach. Go make a supreme game that people will want to play because it is well done and helped developed by the community they interact with and ask questions too. For if the game is good a long time gain is in the books, not just a quick sale.

F2P is going to make them more money I see than most big name long standing companies that adhere to the desire for the almighty dollar first and foremost. They all seem to forget, you need to give a reason for us to spend the almighty dollar on you. Not only that but they will continue to make more money simply because you make a good game, that is free to play, people will want to pimp their rides and get rides quicker. I think IGP's motto is very right and PGI and IGP have the right mind for today's game mindset.

Posted Image

#16 Anthill

• PipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUp In Your Mech Bay, Liberating Your Salvages

"...even Matt and Paul"

What... the... hell?!??!

I know. When I suggested this thread I was hardly willing to go that far...but, I figured to unconditionally love a Dev is better then to unconditionally surrender to a Dev's wryly ways.

#17 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

"...even Matt and Paul"

What... the... hell?!??!

It was a joke REALLY don't get mad at us. :) The community loves you just as they love the other PGI personnal, probably excluding Aegis Kleais™.

I personally love your humour sense and spoiler tags ((Enough to click on all of them just to see what joke you had underneath them))

#18 Leetskeet

• Bad Company
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

"...even Matt and Paul"

What... the... hell?!??!

That's what you get for those "spoilers" =x

Haters gonna hate

#19 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

You had me at "Mech...."

Many Thanks! much love... PEACE, no wait! Let slip the Mechs of WAR!

#20 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

I gotta say this Dev team has blown my mind. The sheer amount of interaction the have with us the fan base on the forums is incredible. Not just answering questions or giving out teaser peeks at what's going on and where things are going, but cracking jokes and hanging out as well. There's no team I'd rather trust than a team who has taken the time to befriend their fans and show that really they're just one of us. The trust and rapport and seeing little things like the Hula Girl and comments that imply "all systems nominal" is going to make it into the game after all the hue and cry about "online" even things like saying they're sticking to canon 'Mechs because their goal is to modernize the franchise not remake it, all show that they care, about the universe and about us!

Here's to PGI!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users