Fully Enclosed Mech Simulator

56 replies to this topic

#41 Ximmons

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

I was wondering if you would be willing to offer some rough dimensions of your simulator so I could get a better idea as to what I would be getting into. I have more or less how to go about making one in my head but without something similar I can not figure out what room it will have to reside in ;)

#42 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just wanted to say SB controller works in MWO!

Its almost 3 in the morning though, so going to bed. But currently I have 8 axes and 32 buttons mapped. I can actually map 10 axes though, as vJoy supports a continous POV, which would be the first time thats ever been possible as far as I know. Not that any reasonable game would ever make use of 10 axes. The controller does has more buttons than windows supports, so I have to find a replacement for my keyboard emulator library, I have a fix up my sleeve, but I"ll get to that at a later date.

Anyways, I tried it in game, and felt sorry for the first person I ran into and knocked over both our mechs. I had my throttle and pitch axes inverted. I quickly fixed that, but I really need help creating a default profile people can use, as I'm NOT a gamer, and only played enough Mechwarrior back in the day to get consistently beat online.

Anyways, just wanted to give everyone an update. I'll try and put something together people can help BETA test. The GUI to my program is absolutely minimal, it just pops up windows with one text box to show any errors in the program and that's it. I"ll probably add a file picker so you can change profiles without relaunching the program.

Have a good night.

~Santiago

#43 Ximmons

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

On behalf of everyone who owns this controller and a computer I thank you. My friends and I would be more then happy to help with testing your drivers out and assist with coming up with a default control scheme. As you mentioned you like to crash into people and I cant promise anything much better from myself but hopefully NightlyReaper in his sim can pilot better then the two of us. As NightlyReaper said this really is the better half of the internet when like minded, albeit some contributing more effort, can come together on areas of extremely specific intrests.

Oh if I have not said it yet, Thank you for your long hours of hard work

Edited by Ximmons, 23 September 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#44 Deatonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Absolutely nuts, I love it though.

#45 Donner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 132 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

Wow..........................................................................................................................................

#46 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Don't want to seem like I"m double posting, but i want to keep people on both threads posted of progress.

Here is the other thread
http://mwomercs.com/...40#entry1067455

If you're interested in development for the SB controller for WIndows 7 64 bit, please subscribe to that thread. I won't post any more updates here unless specifically asked to.
And here is the status update:

[color=#959595]Just wanted to give a quick update, I got keyboard emulation working for MWO, that means my "driver" will be able to fully support the SB controller, all switches, all buttons all axes. Just need to incorporate this new code into my current framework. [/color]

#47 NightlyReaper

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSoutheastern US

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostXimmons, on 22 September 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

I was wondering if you would be willing to offer some rough dimensions of your simulator so I could get a better idea as to what I would be getting into. I have more or less how to go about making one in my head but without something similar I can not figure out what room it will have to reside in :P

I will try to find some of my original design sketches, but for a rough idea, the single solid piece of MDF that it sits on was used as reinforcement under the box spring of a twin-size bed. So if you were to add a head-board and foot-board and make it 3 inches wider, it would be EXACTLY as large as a twin-bed. It actually replaced my son's old bed.

I didn't really MEASURE that much. I had two large pieces of framed chip-board which became the sides. I got the base from the bed as noted above, and I got a discarded coffee table from a friend which became the controller shelf and monitor/sub shelf. The controller, table, and sub box, were all the same width and when all put together left 1/2 an inch of leftover space on the base. After that, it was just making sure everything fit that starting point. So whatever the width of a VT controller is plus a half inch is the width. Find the dimensions of a twin mattress for a footprint dimension. I will get out a tape-measure sometime and try to make some drawings in Google Sketchup. I've lost the original sketchup proof of concept drawings I did. School is killing me right now, so please be patient.

NightlyReaper, Out.

#48 NightlyReaper

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

I just wanted to put at least one more post on here regarding the hard work by HackNFly in developing the drivers and install process to get the Steel Battalion VT Controller working for MWO, as well as shout out to Baron Von Pilsner for leading the charge on developing a variety of joystick configs for this game as well as for MWLL and MW4, and ALSO to all in the community who put in their two cents and reported problems that had to be overcome. Because of these efforts, I now really do own a 'mech simulator and not just a really elaborate PAPERWEIGHT. I owe it all to the community. You folks are awesome. Look for me in game!

NightlyReaper, Over and Out!

Edited by NightlyReaper, 11 November 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#49 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Very nice work.

I gotta ask, is that the controller from Steal Battalion?

#50 NightlyReaper

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 12 November 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

Very nice work.

I gotta ask, is that the controller from Steal Battalion?

Ummm. Yes.

#51 ASSASSYN X

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOn top of a hill targeting you

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I miss steel-battalion line of contact.

JARRALLACS FOR LIFE!

#52 NightlyReaper

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:49 AM

Update! Waiting for Mechwarrior 5. Come on PGI!
https://imgur.com/gallery/g0xxszu

Posted Image

Edited by NightlyReaper, 15 November 2018 - 03:49 AM.

#53 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:30 AM

wow thread from way way back

#54 DJD Razor

Rookie

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:34 AM

I have just been looking through these old simpit build threads, I'm working on one now! Should be ready for MW5!

#55 CommanderHunter5

• Pip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

You put a Vertical Tank Control Console (a.k.a. Steel Battalion Controller) in there!? You madman.

#56 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

look at all those *****!
<3

#57 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

That does look awesome, simulated cockpits area really fun..... but dear lord why are you using such a tiny monitor? 27" curved is as small as I can imagine going, and even then I have it 12" from my face. I would def. design around at least 3 monitors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users