Whos looking foward to Armored Core 5?

51 replies to this topic

#41 Phos

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 15 March 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

i like the cool weapons in armored core, but thats it, their hit system is stupid, 1 hp pool for the unit, no hit sections, no blown off bits.

its like call of duty with mech skins, no thanks.

And I'm sure street fighter is like call of duty without the guns.

Technically, Armored Core came first, so i guess then Call of Duty is a fleshier Armored Core?

And mechwarriors bits that can be blown off are stupid, they don't accound for all the damage being concentraited on one part of the part. Why can't my LRM 20 be shot once and become an LRM19?

#42 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostPhos, on 15 March 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 15 March 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

View PostMech Crusader 5000, on 02 March 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

I am taking a little survey. Who is going to get Armored Core 5 when it comes out? March 20th is the release date. I am definatly going to get it because the Armored Core series is awsome. The only thing that stinks is that the official website is practically all in Japanese because it is a Japanese game. So, whos going to get it when it comes out and what about the game do you think looks the most awsome? :D

i like the cool weapons in armored core, but thats it, their hit system is stupid, 1 hp pool for the unit, no hit sections, no blown off bits.

its like call of duty with mech skins, no thanks.

And I'm sure street fighter is like call of duty without the guns.

Technically, Armored Core came first, so i guess then Call of Duty is a fleshier Armored Core?

And mechwarriors bits that can be blown off are stupid, they don't accound for all the damage being concentraited on one part of the part. Why can't my LRM 20 be shot once and become an LRM19?

The first Call of Duty was released in October of 2003.
Up to that point, there had been seven releases in the Armored Core series.

Armored Core: Last Raven (August 2005) did have damage applied to individual sections.

ACs now take physical damage to external parts. If extensive damage is incurred by parts like heads, arms, legs and cores they will become weaker over the course of the game and eventually be destroyed. Destroyed parts cannot be used on an AC and replacement parts need to be purchased from the Shop. Losing an arm will mean the loss of the weapon equipped on it, the loss of a head will mean loss of radar functions and a damaged leg part will hamper the AC's mobility. An AC can continue operating with nearly every part of its anatomy destroyed except its Core. If the Core is destroyed in battle then the AC itself is destroyed and the game is over.

Before that, Silent Line: Armored Core (January 2003) introduced weapon-breaking.
(Also, one of the AC games (Silent Line, I think) also introduced a first-person mode.)

#43 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Ford Galaxy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, Armored Core (the first 1) came out in 1997. Obviously it came out much later then the MechWarrior series and by proxy, the BattleTech universe. The two games are fundamentally different, so the only true comparisons you can make between them are ooo, it's a game that involves mechs.

Armored Core was designed with a console in mind whereas MechWarrior was designed as a PC Sim. So of course the games are going to evolve drastically differently. I appreciate both games for what they offer and I don't necessarily like one over the other. I like aspects of each and respect both series for what they provide. Armored Core is more the Do it yourself, make your own masterpiece and color it game for me where as MechWarrior is the defacto "I feel like I'm really piloting this" game, especially when I'm using a joystick.

#44 Zaius Ex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

Well said Heroic...or Tofu? I'll add you on psn, also. Been looking for some peeps to play AC5 with after I heard how the multiplayer was set up.

I remember the destructible heads on LR. I would always rage because the enemy ACs always seemed to blow my head off.

#45 Mech Crusader 5000

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAny place that has Mechs, like here

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

It's cool to hear more of everyone's opinions! :P

Edited by Mech Crusader 5000, 15 March 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#46 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

This is HeroicTofu, reporting somewhat live on Armored Core V!

Here at HT Central, we have a brand new game in the Japanese Armored Core series, hailed for it's emphasis on mech customization! So what can we expect from the newest sequel!? Well I'm glad you asked MWO forum goers! We have quite the departure for the series! For the first time since the game's original inception, the emphasis on the gameplay revolves around the online element! You create your own team or join an existing one, you can do missions co-op and even battle other teams for control of different territories!

But what about the gameplay itself?! Well Mech Fans, I report to you that the gameplay has changed quite a bit from older titles. The speed of the game is more reminiscent of the original Armored Core and vastly different from For Answer! Combat seems more manageable as a result as you don't have random enemies flying all over the place! If you aim a shot at a mech, odds are, you'll actually hit it in this game!

However, there are a few drawbacks of note! Flying around the game has all but disappeared in this rendition! You can jump and hover, slowly descending, but the thrill of flying all over the place is no longer there. Is it bad? No... But it's different. It actually more reminds me of the jumpjets in MechWarrior!

Also, the enemy AI... well, I've fought a few enemy mechs and because I circle strafed consistently around them, they never even hit me on many an occasion. It doesn't appear to react very well! That's not to say there isn't difficulty, as certain missions have proved challenging, but the AI is very weak in my own humble opinion! And how humble it is!

How is the mission variety? ...Well. The most unique mission so far (I haven't beaten the game yet!) was destroy all enemies before the time limit ends... This isn't to say this wasn't the case in For Answer, but I do long for the gigantic, larger then life Arms Fort battles of yore!

But what about the customization Tofu!? The weapons, the body pieces, the emblems, the paint?! They're all there and then some! And From Software is actually letting you use *gasp* letters in your mech's emblems! There are risks of getting banned for offensive emblems mind, but this is an area where the game has way more customization then ever before. You can even customize your mech bay with different trinkets that appear to do nothing but look cool!

So how does the game compare so far to the rest of the series? I like it! It's fun, it's giving me the necessary mech interaction my system needs! I'll be focusing more and more on the online play as I continue to build up my mech! In my opinion, From Software has designed the game to be modular and content friendly towards DLC, without skimping on what makes the game a game in the first place!

So, that's Tofu's 3rd day analysis!

If you want to play together, I'm on the Playstation 3, my PSN name is HeroicTofu, add me on your friend's list, and I'll get you into the team I've built (Mechbuilders! Shameless promotion!? In my Armored Core?! It's more likely then you think!)

Tofu, signing out and to the left!

Edited by HeroicTofu, 22 March 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#47 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

What's that people?! Tofu has more information?! He does!

I've played the game an additional 2 days now and would like to add a few more notes now that I've got a great depth of experience for the game!

First: The difficulty? Oh, my, god, does it scale up down the road. I had a few moments of wanting to chuck the controller! The AI gets smarter as well, making it even more difficult. So my previous mentions of weak AI? I just hadn't gone far enough in yet!

And Mission variety? Oh yeah, it gets better. Way better. Two days ago when I made my first review, I wasn't quite sold on the game yet. But oh it's on now. I'm almost willing to go out on a limb here and say this is by far my favorite Armored Core to date. Time will tell.

So on that note, as I mentioned before, if you want to play with me and help expand the team that is Mechbuilders, hop online to the PS3, do a region search of Nevada (Oh noes, given away meh locationish!), and I'll give you the secret password to enter. As a moblin from Zelda once said, it's a secret to everybody. Except we found those rupees and they were no longer a secret. And so to shall this very basic password go. 9993. OH yeah, I went there. I'll help anyone with any mission. Peace!

#48 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

I am not looking forward to AC-5. meh.

It is a console game, aff? All the more reason to not waste any time...

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 24 March 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#49 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostHeroicTofu, on 24 March 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

What's that people?! Tofu has more information?! He does!

I've played the game an additional 2 days now and would like to add a few more notes now that I've got a great depth of experience for the game!

First: The difficulty? Oh, my, god, does it scale up down the road. I had a few moments of wanting to chuck the controller! The AI gets smarter as well, making it even more difficult. So my previous mentions of weak AI? I just hadn't gone far enough in yet!

And Mission variety? Oh yeah, it gets better. Way better. Two days ago when I made my first review, I wasn't quite sold on the game yet. But oh it's on now. I'm almost willing to go out on a limb here and say this is by far my favorite Armored Core to date. Time will tell.

So on that note, as I mentioned before, if you want to play with me and help expand the team that is Mechbuilders, hop online to the PS3, do a region search of Nevada (Oh noes, given away meh locationish!), and I'll give you the secret password to enter. As a moblin from Zelda once said, it's a secret to everybody. Except we found those rupees and they were no longer a secret. And so to shall this very basic password go. 9993. OH yeah, I went there. I'll help anyone with any mission. Peace!

How's the AI fights versus Last Raven?

#50 Laserkid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationRural Southern Illinois

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Not me...AC just wasn't the same when it went to the PS3. I hated the PS3 version... Plus its also a consol game....for the current gen systems....give it a pass....

Edited by Laserkid, 19 March 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#51 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

Since this thread was necro'd anyway.

As I made in my last (quite silly) post about the game, I had thrown out that this could be my fav AC to date. After the new game lustershine wore off, I came to the conclusion that ACV had some work to do (more on this.).

First, the single player campaign. At the time, I hadn't fully finished all of the 'story' missions. I figured they were leading to something that could be called "sense". I was wrong. While there is a story, because it's not fully fleshed out in any particular manner, good luck figuring out what's going on.

Secondly, the difficulty, or lack there of. While there were certain missions that were frustrating, it was mostly a case of figuring out what weapons you needed to pack with you. And while I'm not spoiling it per se, the final battle was way too easy. I honestly thought for awhile, "From Software designed this final battle? Really?" The same company that designed the most nail biting difficult game in existence (Dark Souls) and some of the hardest mech battles I've ever participated in (Armored Core 1's final stage comes to mind as does For Answer's final battles), it was a major let down.

Third, the online community. It started out really strong and was fun. It still has the potential to be insanely fun however apparently the US servers didn't receive the same updates in the same time schedule that the JP servers did to keep the content interesting. It was a shame because that basically blocked the collection of trophies/achievements until about 3-4 months into the game.

So, earlier I mentioned ACV had some work to do. Armored Core Verdict Day is based on the same engine and looks to fix all of the flaws associated with ACV. Time will tell but I am hopeful.

Much like how Armored Core 4 was an absolute train wreck, Armored Core For Answer took the same engine and refined it into a fantastic and fun game. And the story made some sense. Always a plus.

#52 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

The entire single player campaign feels and truly is --- what it should be --- a training ground for the battles online. I hope you get to play the four big boss battles. I only rarely won against them even with full parties of four.

ACV is a bit of a departure from the previous ACs, and it should be said for what really is Armored Core meets Chromehounds (also made by FROM). You can see the Chromehounds style modular building system along with the similar, though not the same, faction warfare system. Verdict Day brings 56 maps, which is needed for a larger scale faction warfare --- Chromehounds have tons of maps. VD also has something that reminds me of the Chromehounds system too --- a 3 big faction system.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users