What WOULD You Pay For? Specifically

2003 replies to this topic

#21 The Maestro

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

I'd be willing to pay for the ability to rename my 'Mech, if they're persistent across time in-game. I want my Awesome or Highlander to be named Bad for Business or somesuch, and hell yeah I'd pay a couple bucks for the ability to do so.

#22 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

I hesitate about paying for all this cosmetic stuff because it might not be permanent with this pay model, and your entire weeks paycheck could be up in smoke just for visual masturbation on your mech that will probably get wrecked in the first fight you get in.

#23 Raj

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

I want a bobble head Katherine Steiner-Davion doll on the dash of my mech. Maybe I can smack it when I get a kill.

The thing is you're not going to see the outside of your mech outside of the mech bay so it makes sense to have the customization in the cockpit.

Edited by raj, 02 November 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#24 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'd like to give the outside of my mech undercarriage neon lights, like you see on riced out Honda Civics.

#25 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

My idea would be to allow access to certain new mechs, weapons, or equipment a week or month earlier to those who pay for it. Is it unbalanced? Yes, but only initially. After a few weeks it will all balance out again. And, lets be honest here; this method is sure to generate a $hit ton of money for them. Who wouldn't want to be able to buy ER Lasers or Gauss Rifles a week before the crowd?

#26 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

List of things I'd like to be able to buy:
1: Chrome autocannon rounds
2: Different laser colors
3: Camo specs
4: Custom color trim places
5: Fuzzy dice in cockpit, bobblehead dolls
6: Pinup paintings for the outside or shark teeth, etc
7: Slight changes to mechs, for example having missile bay doors open on an archer or dervish, etc
8: Sounds attached to different weapons for effect. Example: Death's head Atlas firing AC20 rounds that scream or missiles that cackle, etc
9: Grime. Sounds dumb, right? But if someone wants to have a pristine parade paint mech I'm cool with that. Let me have my beat up mud around the boots ancient family mech too.
10: Named mechs that people can see on the scoreboard. It's fine to have damage posted based on mech, but it'd be cooler to have x amount of damage dealt by Wraith in Scream (Banshee BNC-3E)
11: Custom decals. Pirates of the Burning Sea has the same deal, except it's free. There are rules on coming up with flags and insignias that are far more stringent than these would be. They require period colors and fabrics, we don't have to. And I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to pay a dollar or two to have their lance insignia on the mech.
12: Mech props. These don't have to be crazy, but my example is. If I'm in some drac unit or merc company that likes to do things the old fashioned way, how could would it be if they could have props? Japanese banners that samurai used to wear that have a full insignia/mon on them would be AMAZING.
13: Changing faceplate glow. Think halo reach. Black cockpit glass? Green cockpit glass? The colors could be endless.
14: Mech bays. I expect this. More mech storage.
15: Character slots. I expect this.

#27 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

View Postshadowvfx, on 02 November 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

My idea would be to allow access to certain new mechs, weapons, or equipment a week or month earlier to those who pay for it. Is it unbalanced? Yes, but only initially. After a few weeks it will all balance out again. And, lets be honest here; this method is sure to generate a $hit ton of money for them. Who wouldn't want to be able to buy ER Lasers or Gauss Rifles a week before the crowd?

This is bad. This is exactly what people talk about when they say pay to win. This hurts the game and the community. Shame on you.

#28 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

View PostTsen Shang, on 02 November 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

This is bad. This is exactly what people talk about when they say pay to win. This hurts the game and the community. Shame on you.

Yes, shame on me for being pragmatic.

What I'm purposing is that people can pay real cash to have ACCESS to new items about 1 week earlier than non-paying players. They won't just 'get' the item with that money, they still need to earn it through in-game EXP or C-bills, or whatever. This is a way to coax people into giving money for something that will essentially be free a week later.

Also, I imagine with the influx of new equipment that shows up around 3050 that this would bankrupt most players if they opted to purchase every piece of equipment 1 week earlier than everyone else.

Edited by shadowvfx, 02 November 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#29 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

View PostTsen Shang, on 02 November 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

...to clarify, you mean "Chrome Colored Rounds", not "Autocannon Rounds that are better", right?

Otherwise, all those things would be nice.

Another thing, mentioned in another topic, would be the ability to pay to put a custom "ad" on a billboard, that would appear in matches you played in. Obviously have to restrict it (No personal attacks, no giant phallic objects, etc.), and the volume of billboards that they might get could make it so you have a near-zero chance of it appearing in matches you aren't in, but it would be awesome to have a billboard advertising your, well, awesomeness. So you can get blown to smitheroons below it. :)

#30 infinite xaer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

SP/coop campaign. and that's about it.

#31 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

View Postshadowvfx, on 02 November 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

What I'm purposing is that people can pay real cash to have ACCESS to new items about 1 week earlier than non-paying players. They won't just 'get' the item with that money, they still need to earn it through in-game EXP or C-bills, or whatever. This is a way to coax people into giving money for something that will essentially be free a week later.

Also, I imagine with the influx of new equipment that shows up around 3050 that this would bankrupt most players if they opted to purchase every piece of equipment 1 week earlier than everyone else.

People getting to use something a week earlier is just as game breaking as people actually having that thing a week earlier. It breaks game design. This is the entire reason people call some F2P games pay to win. Someone who has an extra $5 in their pocket shouldn't be able to have an ER large laser with 1.5x the range of a regular large laser a week before a poor guy. That's classist and insulting. Your 'pragmatic' logic is faulty and hardly pragmatic. Your design would kill the game in a week.

View Postomegaclawe, on 02 November 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

...to clarify, you mean "Chrome Colored Rounds", not "Autocannon Rounds that are better", right?

Absolutely! Rounds that are in no way better than any other rounds, just shinier!

#32 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Something I read from another post that would be nice; Different computer 'themes' for your mech. Choose themes that have different voice prompts or warning sirens. Offer a half-dozen different options and let people see which one they like the most.

#33 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

I would pay as much as 75$ if there were a fully fleshed out Single Player Campaign produced that ran off of the existing game engine. Once the game exists, a Single Player game as DLC I think could work.

75$ for a game between 30-50 missions long.
45$ for a game 25-30 missions long.

Of course, with Voice actors, Cinematics, and the lot. It would be interesting to see if there are AI "Quests" that players can participate in, but as with most MMOs, they tend to be dry and uninspired.

Beyond that...

'Mechs - granted that they fit with the timeline. I know people are clamoring for their Uziels and MadCat IIs, but they don't fit with the era. Show me Trebuchets, Whitworths, Spiders, Cataphracts, Stalkers... Again, nothing that's going to break the game, but I like Mech games the most when the selection is 50 'mechs or more, not like Mechwarrior 4 Vengeances' 20 or so. Long story short - Give me the entire contents of TRO 3039 over the course of the game.

If my hopes ring true and there is little to no customization system (Mainly so that there is at least SOME motivation to keep a stock configuration. I'd like the Customization system to exist, but at a risk of permanent damage for each component added, increased repair and maintenance costs, and exorbitant costs for refits in the first place), I'd like to see Battletech-canon "Refit Kits" sold for... Well, it'd have to be a low number (50 cents each?) since it's just stats tweaks of existing designs. These refit kits would allow you to refit your existing 'mechs with new weapons loadouts without risking damage to your 'mech, or the excessive refit costs.

Camo Packs - One at a time would seem a bit of a gyp, but maybe bundling them together, say - per the terrain type that you're going to fight on. It would give you some nice choice. Alternately an increased "Custom Logo" or "Camo Scheme" would be nice - in which you can upload your own camoschemes or logos to the game (Much in the way you could use your own custom logos in Mechwarrior 4), but I'd assume that you'd have to have them OK'ed by the staff before you could use it, thus the costs that would be charged.

Lastly, to be completely honest, I'd love some MWO T-shirts that don't look like tacky games advertisements with a giant MWO logo on it somewhere. Just stylised pictures of 'mechs or illustrations of things that look pretty much normal, but a player of MWO or Battletech would get the reference. Current Battletech T-Shirts look even less fashionable than Three Wolf Moon.

Edited by ice trey, 02 November 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#34 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

To be honest, as long as the game was balanced and true to the Mechwarrior franchise, I would be willing to pay for just about anything.

#35 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

I currently play World of Tanks, and pay for Premium membership (to gain experience faster and be able to exchange gold for free xp), pay to use premium ammo (special armor piercing shells) and did purchsae a premium tank (at 50$ a piece) once.

So I guess I'd be ready to pay for the same kind of things in MWO.

#36 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

View PostFoxx, on 02 November 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

To be honest, as long as the game was balanced and true to the Mechwarrior franchise, I would be willing to pay for just about anything.

Same for me...

#37 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

View PostTsen Shang, on 02 November 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

2: Different laser colors
3: Camo specs
4: Custom color trim places
5: Fuzzy dice in cockpit, bobblehead dolls
6: Pinup paintings for the outside or shark teeth, etc
7: Slight changes to mechs, for example having missile bay doors open on an archer or dervish, etc
8: Sounds attached to different weapons for effect. Example: Death's head Atlas firing AC20 rounds that scream or missiles that cackle, etc
9: Grime. Sounds dumb, right? But if someone wants to have a pristine parade paint mech I'm cool with that. Let me have my beat up mud around the boots ancient family mech too.
10: Named mechs that people can see on the scoreboard. It's fine to have damage posted based on mech, but it'd be cooler to have x amount of damage dealt by Wraith in Scream (Banshee BNC-3E)
11: Custom decals. Pirates of the Burning Sea has the same deal, except it's free. There are rules on coming up with flags and insignias that are far more stringent than these would be. They require period colors and fabrics, we don't have to. And I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to pay a dollar or two to have their lance insignia on the mech.
12: Mech props. These don't have to be crazy, but my example is. If I'm in some drac unit or merc company that likes to do things the old fashioned way, how could would it be if they could have props? Japanese banners that samurai used to wear that have a full insignia/mon on them would be AMAZING.
13: Changing faceplate glow. Think halo reach. Black cockpit glass? Green cockpit glass? The colors could be endless.
14: Mech bays. I expect this. More mech storage.
15: Character slots. I expect this.

Yeah man most of this right here!

#38 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

View Postshadowvfx, on 02 November 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

No. You are wrong. This is PAY TO WIN theory. Nothing pragmatic there, just a whole lot of BS. Stop, forget it. Walk away.

#39 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Elucid Ward: Whether you like it or not, this model is like crack for players, and it brings the publishers a TON of money. They ARE going to implement it whether you like it or not. It sucks for the ones who have no cash perhaps, but it's life. The publishers are not stupid, they want cash, and that'll bring them way more than having a flat monthly fee. I don't blame them!

The only thing we have to care about, is that they make it fair enough so that paying players don't have too much of an advantage over players playing for free. It's all about balancing it. For sure, people are gonna call us Wallet Warriors (they do in World of Tanks) but I don't give a frack. I don't have my whole day to grind, and I make enough cash to afford premium "pay-to-get" content.

#40 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

View PostTweaks, on 02 November 2011 - 05:15 PM, said:

The only thing we have to care about, is that they make it fair enough so that paying players don't have too much of an advantage over players playing for free.

You realize THIS is your argument right? I mean...REALLY!? Really? You want to spend money...to NOT play a game...so you can win against people who do. There are so, so, so many holes in your 'argument' that I'm just gonna stop here. My head is about to explode with your delusions of superiority.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users