What WOULD You Pay For? Specifically

2003 replies to this topic

#41 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

View PostTweaks, on 02 November 2011 - 05:15 PM, said:

Elucid Ward: Whether you like it or not, this model is like crack for players, and it brings the publishers a TON of money. They ARE going to implement it whether you like it or not. It sucks for the ones who have no cash perhaps, but it's life. The publishers are not stupid, they want cash, and that'll bring them way more than having a flat monthly fee. I don't blame them!

The only thing we have to care about, is that they make it fair enough so that paying players don't have too much of an advantage over players playing for free. It's all about balancing it. For sure, people are gonna call us Wallet Warriors (they do in World of Tanks) but I don't give a frack. I don't have my whole day to grind, and I make enough cash to afford premium "pay-to-get" content.

Well assuming the dev's stick to their word, you won't have that option.

And the game is effectively self published from what I understand - so they don't have a publisher breathing down their necks for profit.

Edited by Elucid Ward, 02 November 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#42 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

This was originally a .txt file (i forgot from where) that has some things I;d be willing to pay for.

"Danger! Danger!"

Spoiler

#43 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Things I'd like to see buyable:
- Character Slots
- Additional Hangar Bays (can only have 5 different mechs without buying extra slots)
- Slots in official canon merc units. Want to be in the 2nd Kell Hound Batallion? Buy access for x €, complete with paint job and decals.
- Ability to upload my own decals.

Things that should never be in a shop:
- Mechs
- Advanced weapons (For example: LosTech only for real money? F you)
- "Premium ammo"
- Exp boosts.

#44 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

View PostDFDelta, on 02 November 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

Things I'd like to see buyable:
- Character Slots
- Additional Hangar Bays (can only have 5 different mechs without buying extra slots)
- Slots in official canon merc units. Want to be in the 2nd Kell Hound Batallion? Buy access for x €, complete with paint job and decals.
- Ability to upload my own decals.

Things that should never be in a shop:
- Mechs
- Advanced weapons (For example: LosTech only for real money? F you)
- "Premium ammo"
- Exp boosts.

Add hanger storage space - gear takes up a whole lot more room than C-Bills, so if you want to hoard your **** you need to pay for it. Though I think that would be a better in game purchase using C-Bills as opposed to real money. Simply for the the money sink aspect.

#45 Vortigern

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

You know, I could totally live with an advertisement or two... Aside from that, maybe "Frankenmechs"?

#46 Andrew Harvey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCornfield, Indiana

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

What I am willing to pay for:

Gameplay Stuff
-$15.00 to unlock-Voice Chat. This is a biggie. Some people may not like the idea of making voice chat a paid option and think it would be unfair to those who don't get it. Well I counter with the fact that many of us were ready to buy the game before it had 'free-to-play status'. Simply consider this a small purchase fee. Besides making voice cost money to unlock will weed out unwanted people like griefers who get in a game simply to bother legit players with screaming and annoying recordings. It may also filter some younger players who may or may not understand the meaning of the words "good sport" or "inside voice" or "**** KID!".

-$10.00 to purchase-Deleted Battlemechs. Maybe you didn't want to put in the Hatchetman because melee combat isn't included. If infantry aren't modeled, maybe that Firestarter is without a purpose. Maybe you just thought a 'Mech was too obsolete to include. But someone will want to pilot them, even if their disadvantages handicap them. If I want a dang Mackie, I'll pay to drive the museum piece around.

-$5.00-$10.00 per kit-Refit Kits. Let's say I've got an older SDR-5V Spider Battlemech. New technology has made the upgraded SDR-7M model available. Since I already have the 5V design and the changes wouldn't be too drastic, I can buy a $5.00 Refit Kit that upgrades it to the new model. Now let's say I have an ENF-4R Enforcer. The same thing happens; new technology makes the ENF-5D model available. But this upgrade involve much more sweeping changes. In order to get a Refit Kit that will upgrade my 4R to a 5D, I have to pay $7.50. This goes on and on, with the most extensive Refit Kits costing $10.00, and those should be unavailable part of the time. It's expensive, but this balances the Kit method with the normal process of saving up C-Bills and etc.

-$0.50 per special ammo load-Example: "I've got a 'Mech equipped with LRM launchers. The year is 3052 and I want to try Thunder LRMs, which spread minefields. So I buy 2 tons for a dollar." There's lots of specialty ammunition that, if used improperly, can be trouble. Making ammunition types like Thunder LRMs or Inferno SRMs money-only items may prevent people who don't really know what they're doing from causing accidental damage to themselves or their teammates.

-Up to $60.00 to unlock-Single Player Campaign. I don't mind if we have to wait several months after launch. That'll give you time to plan, use experiences in the multiplayer game to make changes, and do recordings and programming and etc. Just try to make it at least as deep as other Mechwarrior SP campaigns. If you program it, money will come. Guaranteed.

In-Cockpit
-$2.00 per item-Cockpit props. Just little decorative doodads. It'd be especially cool if you added animation to some of them (gently swaying Dreamcatcher, sticky notes that flutter, bobbleheads that bobble). Just let me keep them even if my 'Mech gets shot out from under me (I grabbed 'em before I ejected okay?).

-$1.00 to unlock-Several different HUD modes/looks. Being able to change the color/layout/reticule of my HUD is an option I would be willing to pay for if it wasn't available for free. It'd also be cool to have a choice of computer voices. Maybe we have some basic, ho-hum voice to start with, but we can upgrade to MW2's *******' Betty, or the Duncan Fisher Edition. Oh yeah.

-$0.75 per item-Different control appearances. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make the controls of most 'Mechs (older than 3040) look dirty/old in the cockpit view to start with; most 'Mechs are pretty old, and it'd be immersive if the cockpit reflected that. Maybe a few wires are duct taped in place, or a joystick is grubby looking, or a few back-lit buttons have gone out. There are all sorts of variations. Some people may prefer the grubby look, but I and others would probably pay to be able to revamp the inside appearance. Maybe several old, cracked screens could be replaced by a single large Multi-Function Display, or a panel of old buttons could be replaced with new ones. Again, having in-cockpit animations reflect those changes would be awesome.

-$0.50 per gesture-I'd pay money to be able to flip the bird in cockpit. I doubt anyone would be able to see it, but being able to purchase animations of rude gestures would be fun.

Battlemech Visual Items
-$2.00 per custom paint job-There are lots of artists out there, and giving us the option to create custom paint jobs would be great (I'm sure a few people would want their Highlander to have a Scottish kilt). We could have the option to fix a damaged paint job for 10-25c, or we could leave them patchy for that weathered look.

-$1.00 per camo paint job-It's hard to disguise 4 stories of metal moving at 70kph, but we'd like to try. Make up some nice camouflage paint schemes that actually work in their environment (ex: Urban, Swamp, Forest) and we'll buy em.

-$0.50 per custom badge/writing-A few basic stock badges should be free, but I'd pay to use custom badges. Another nice feature would be to let us write custom messages on our 'Mechs like phrases(ex:'Takin' Care of Business') labels('Big Bertha' on a Hunchback's AC/20), or a 'Mech's name ('Doom').

-$2.00 per effect-Maybe I want to put kill marks on the barrel of my Panther's PPC or a fanged grin on it's head. Having little effects like that for each 'Mech would be something I'd pay for, especially if there were unique 'Mech-specific effects (exskull paint job on an Atlas).

'Mech Bay
-$5.00 per slot-We're probably going to want to buy more Battlemechs than we have room for. Whether we want to try several different roles at once, or just have a 'Mech we can't get rid of because of nostalgia, we'll want to have more than 1 'Mech at once. It'd be nice to start out with at least 2 Mech Bays. Just make sure our bay expansions are permanent; no 'renting' of Mech Bays please.

-$0.50 per simple prop-We'll probably be spending a lot of time in the Mech Bay. Eventually, we'll get bored of the stock appearance. We could get things like oil slicks, a stack of ammo, a pinup poster, or a national flag to personalize things. There's lots of possible options for that.

-$2.00 per complex prop-Big shiny things. We all like them. Maybe a wide-screen TV with scrolling market prices, a holographic map of the Inner Sphere, or a radio that plays music and the occasional bit of news. Or perhaps I just want a window.

-$0.50 per item-Physical features and clothing. You give us a character creator. We pay to unlock additional advanced features. Mechwarrior Porkins; a short, fat, smelly lump of a pilot with a lot of heart. Sir Fancy Pants; monocle and sneering upper lip=equipped. Darkman; can he possibly have more scars on his body? I don't want bondage gear or ****-less chaps (and please *** no fursuits). But give me plenty of options.

-$1.00 per item-Props and accessories. Gun belts. Sunglasses. A cape. Gloves & boots. These are things that would be awesome to equip.

Actual Real-Life Merchandise
-$5.00-$25.00 per item-Clothing and apparel. Give it to me baby. Patches, hats, shirts, if it can be worn I'll be sporting it.

-$30.00-A boxed copy of the game with a thick color manual. A manual. In case you didn't see it the first time, A. BIG. MANUAL. I and others like manuals; their weighty heft, the physical sensation of turning pages. It's a thing with us, and I know I will pay to have one. Cmon. There's gotta be a Kinko's or other somewhat professional printing company nearbye. Just humor us luddites huh?

-$15.00-$30.00-Artbooks and posters. The gig is up. We know you have FlyingDebris. Whether he's tied up in a dark room somewhere, or sipping Mojitos in Miami, I want his art. If he draws a 'Mech, I will probably be wanting to buy a copy of it. Blow up some for posters, or just package a couple dozen in a nice book with some commentary and other concept stuff. We'll buy it. No offense intended to the other project artists, it's just that Mr. Debris aka A. Iglesias has hypnotic power. I...must...buy his art...

Edited by andrew harvey, 02 November 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#47 Andrew Harvey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Stuff I will not to pay real money for:
-Battlemechs: Unless it’s a ‘Mech like I described above (Mackie or other obsolete design) I don’t want to have to buy it with real money. Enough people got burned with Microsoft’s “MECH PAK” scheme. Theirs is not an example to follow.

-Weapons, Equipment, & Repairs: I should be able to buy these things with C-Bills I earn in game. Please don’t make normal weapons that you can only buy with IRL dollars.

-Clan Weapons, Equipment, & ‘Mechs: Go ahead and make it very hard to salvage Clan equipment/weaponry, and almost impossible to salvage Clan chassis’. Make them expensive to repair and install. But making them money-only items would be a real low blow.

-‘Mech Customization: This is a basic part of Mechwarrior. It should be difficult and expensive, but don't make it cost real money.

-Game Modes & Maps: This should be free. Anything else will scare people away.

-Joining Lances & Basic Group Membership: The same goes for this. Cooperation and teamwork are big parts of the game. Restricting that will not win you customers, and will make the ones you have upset.

- Future Expansions/’Mechs: I don’t want to be in a situation where I download a game patch that introduces new content only to be told that I have to pay money to use it. That would be infuriating.

Stuff that would annoy me:
-Buyable weapon colors: Identifying weapon fire will have a lot to do with their visual and audible characteristics (ex: Medium Lasers are red, PPCs are blue). Letting people change their PPC’s stream to pink or make their LRM missile trails glitter will just be confusing for the rest of us and interfere with our game play.

-Over expensive avatar items: CCP learned this lesson. $50.00 hats will not endear you to anyone.

-Things that disrupt immersion: Don’t let people buy balloons or junk like that to that to attach to their ‘Mechs. If players want to attach bits that actually look like they belong on their Battlemech and in the universe then let them. But don’t allow customizations that don’t belong.

#48 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

^ All that confer a tactical advantage are pay to win. Thus, fail.

Buy your upgrades with C-bills. Earn your next refit. Earn your custom weapons load out.

No buying of this ****.

Edited by Elucid Ward, 02 November 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#49 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

View Postandrew harvey, on 02 November 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

In-Cockpit
-$2.00 per item-Cockpit props. Just little decorative doodads. It'd be especially cool if you added animation to some of them (gently swaying Dreamcatcher, sticky notes that flutter, bobbleheads that bobble). Just let me keep them even if my 'Mech gets shot out from under me (I grabbed 'em before I ejected okay?).

You're seconds from death on the end of a PPC bolt and you grab sticky notes before you eject? Now that's dedication. :)

#50 Andrew Harvey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

View PostElucid Ward, on 02 November 2011 - 08:30 PM, said:

^ All that confer a tactical advantage are pay to win. Thus, fail.

Buy your upgrades with C-bills. Earn your next refit. Earn your custom weapons load out.

No buying of this ****.

I don't think griefers should be able to just jump in and start Rick Rolling over their mic while laying minefields around teammates. If making those features pay-only keeps trolls out, then I will gladly pay the price and be called a wallet warrior. I can understand your objection to the idea of Refit Kits, although I think making them expensive enough would balance out any advantage. Because in the end, it's about picking the lesser of two evils. These folks are making cash items no matter what, and I'd rather the game have an expensive upgrade option than have to pay for game modes, maps, and 'Mechs.

Aside from those 3 things, the rest of my ideas were purely aesthetically driven, or had to do with merchandise.
Unless you think a Mackie would give anyone a tactical advantage...
...you don't do you?

View PostGhost, on 02 November 2011 - 08:44 PM, said:

You're seconds from death on the end of a PPC bolt and you grab sticky notes before you eject? Now that's dedication. :)

Let's just say it was a certain lady's number. A certain Wolf's Dragoons someone...and she's...she...
...okay it was my grocery list.

Edited by andrew harvey, 02 November 2011 - 08:56 PM.

#51 stormwatch

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hardware. How about a realistic control panel, a la Steel Battalion? :)

#52 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

View PostElucid Ward, on 02 November 2011 - 06:49 PM, said:

And the game is effectively self published from what I understand - so they don't have a publisher breathing down their necks for profit.

Yes, but also as equally interesting in making money and not losing it as if they were. It's not a fan-project after all.

#53 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

View PostTweaks, on 02 November 2011 - 05:15 PM, said:

I don't have my whole day to grind, and I make enough cash to afford premium "pay-to-get" content.
Some players have time, others have money. Since time = money, I'd say it's all fair and balanced. =D

#54 CasualT

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

On the topic of Doodads inside of the cockpit, I would totally buy a in Dash MP3 player with visualizations and maybe customizable LED lights.

#55 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I want hats.
I'd like to be able to put all sorts of hats on my atlas. Maybe start with a wizard hat? baseball caps, cowboys hats, top hats, bonnets, etc, etc.

#56 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 03 November 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

I want hats.
I'd like to be able to put all sorts of hats on my atlas. Maybe start with a wizard hat? baseball caps, cowboys hats, top hats, bonnets, etc, etc.

only if i can put my hat on my mech and wear it side ways to be gangsta!

#57 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

View Postandrew harvey, on 02 November 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

Gameplay Stuff
-$15.00 to unlock-Voice Chat. This is a biggie. Some people may not like the idea of making voice chat a paid option

I will say this once and only once. If VOICE chat is not a built-in feature, I am out. I have high end TB head sets and I cannot even stomach typing while playing. I won't pay for something that is industry standard. Terrible suggestion, IMO.

-$0.50 per special ammo load-Example: "I've got a 'Mech equipped with LRM launchers. The year is 3052 and I want to try Thunder LRMs, which spread minefields. So I buy 2 tons for a dollar." There's lots of specialty ammunition that, if used improperly, can be trouble. Making ammunition types like Thunder LRMs or Inferno SRMs money-only items may prevent people who don't really know what they're doing from causing accidental damage to themselves or their teammates.

Hmmm...while the IDEA of not hurting yourself is so so, the overall suggestion is a tactical advantage. I don't see it happening.

-Up to $60.00 to unlock-Single Player Campaign. I don't mind if we have to wait several months after launch. That'll give you time to plan, use experiences in the multiplayer game to make changes, and do recordings and programming and etc. Just try to make it at least as deep as other Mechwarrior SP campaigns. If you program it, money will come. Guaranteed.

I would bet real cash that this is in the works. The devs know how many fans out there are willing to pony up for this. No doubt, we will see this in it's due time.

-$0.50 per gesture-I'd pay money to be able to flip the bird in cockpit. I doubt anyone would be able to see it, but being able to purchase animations of rude gestures would be fun.

On a personal level, this has to be one of the funniest things a forum dude has ever said. Going one further, imagine that you just legged an Atlas and he is too overheated to retaliate, you pull up close enough to make eye contact, open the cockpit, drop trow and give him the ol' moon treatment. That would be worth some REAL bling right there.

#58 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

In my mind, no amount of real cash can replace real time plying experience. If you "buy" your way up the totem pole, you are really only cheating yourself. The more you play, the more skilled you become. Those that "don't have time to grind" will have to accept that they, while "having" reached a "rank" or "level" through real cash, are usually going to be on the lower end of the food chain. Besides, if real cash buys different mechs, than shouldn't those different mechs give the standard mech that kills it "special" salvage?

#59 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

The Unseen.

#60 Gryz

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

If they made equipment hard to come by (assuming that'll be the case) thinking back to the old mech-commander days. I'd be willing to pay for a salvage vehicle that can salvage more gear from downed enemies. This might give you more access to loot but no special loot just what you can get off your slain enemies!

Assuming again equipment armor/ammo types/weapons will be reasonably hard to come by I'd pay for an "arena license" that would allow you to wager on matches. Similar to Runescape winner keeps the wager! I would say you could go into a practice arena for free but if you want to get serious about it and make 1 on 1 fighting and arena battles worth while and actually meaningful try wagering your new shiny pair of PPCs or even up the stakes and wager your shiny new Madcat (timberwolf)! If you REALLY want to get your blood flowing fight in a match where you know you just risked something awesome that took you weeks to get!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users