#21 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

The Jenner is also further back in the dropship than the Atlas, so the size may not be as much off as it seems. We need them to line up the current featured mechs side by side so we can get a better idea of scale. But in one of the blogs, or posts or something they did state scale was one of the things they were trying to focus on heavily.

#22 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

White Scoutmech.. really? LOL!

#23 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostSinitron, on 07 March 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Don't know about that, makes the Jenner pilots' jobs a lot easier when they're not a big walking target ripe for an autocannon barrage.

Again when tonnage counts, over-sized assaults are benched. Its a bad way to try to balance the weight classes, which will later bite you in the ***. Yeah in a no restrictions 1v1 situation, this might help "balance" an assault versus a light, but are we really trying to balance an assault vs a light on a 1v1 basis? I really hope not. Thats a wild goose chase not even worth attempting.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 07 March 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#24 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

I don't think it's too presumptuous at this point to outright ask... when do we get to see gameplay footage/actual trailer?

#25 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 07 March 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

ohh god...

That Jenner looks ridiculously small...

Accurate scale was not a concern it looks. Oversized assaults makes baby jesus cry. Like I been saying, when tonnage counts oversized assaults are benched.

Maybe its just the angle, but that has to be one hell of an angle.

You have to remember that the Jenner is primarily a laser 'Mech, it doesn't need a lot of volume for ammo storage so it should be be much smaller than an Atlas which needs dozens of cubic meters of room for ammunition and more for ammo feeds. So I'd say the scale is pretty accurate.

#26 Sinitron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDjevelens Bakende Kanal

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 07 March 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Again when tonnage counts, over-sized assaults are benched. Its a bad way to try to balance the weight classes, which will later bite you in the ***. Yeah in a no restrictions 1v1 situation, this might help "balance" an assault versus a light, but are we really trying to balance an assault vs a light on a 1v1 basis? I really hope not. Thats a wild goose chase not even worth attempting.

They're 3D models though, scaling them up isn't particularily difficult and this is still WIP content. Plus, for a sense of immersion, it's a lot more intimidating for a Jenner pilot to run into an Atlas that's almost twice as tall.

#27 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostSinitron, on 07 March 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

They're 3D models though, scaling them up isn't particularily difficult and this is still WIP content. Plus, for a sense of immersion, it's a lot more intimidating for a Jenner pilot to run into an Atlas that's almost twice as tall.

If you look at the image.. the Jenner is back of the Atlas as the Atlas is moving in for the drop.

So the Jenner is probably closer to 2/3 as tall as th Atlas.. or just about right.

#28 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostKartr, on 07 March 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

You have to remember that the Jenner is primarily a laser 'Mech, it doesn't need a lot of volume for ammo storage so it should be be much smaller than an Atlas which needs dozens of cubic meters of room for ammunition and more for ammo feeds. So I'd say the scale is pretty accurate.

No
A Jenner is still 35 tons of "stuff"...regardless of what it is (be it ammo, heatsinks or simply more lasers in lieu of ammo) We have next to zero information on the densities are each component, so we assume on average each mech is the same density.

View PostSinitron, on 07 March 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Gameplay considerations should trump this, however. Large oversized assaults in MW4 (such as the atlas) were hardly used due to being big and clumsy. Even in zero restriction matches. In tonnage based matches, taking an Atlas was a complete joke. Im sure the MW4 devs made the Atlas really big in order for it to be intimidating....it did the opposite. It just made it an easy to hit target.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 07 March 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#29 VoxeL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

True color + HDR:

Posted Image

:)

#30 Sinitron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 07 March 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

Gameplay considerations should trump this, however. Large oversized assaults in MW4 (such as the atlas) were hardly used due to being big and clumsy. Even in zero restriction matches. In tonnage based matches, taking an Atlas was a complete joke. Im sure the MW4 devs made the Atlas really big in order for it to be intimidating....it did the opposite. It just made it an easy to hit target.

Well yeah, but MW4 was kind of a joke in this regard as almost every map was essentially a huge open field with little to no cover save for a few hills, and most people seemed to love Nova Cats.

#31 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hope the Jenner is smaller

#32 Der Kopfsammler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 239 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

Ohh man.. o_O its looking brutal!

#33 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

And we finally have a mechbay. Perfect! :P

#34 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 07 March 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

And what's interesting is I still think it looks much better while... 'moving' I guess you'd say. Coming around the corner into those red eyes is... always a blast :P

Any plans on allowing for various colors? Cause I mean really, it's sorta like car underlighting and all that...

#35 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Meh, I'm going to step up (or down) and be "that guy".

While this is great, it's nothing we haven't seen before--it's two 'Mechs we already known exist inside a DropShip. We saw concept art dipicting a similar scene. The recent trailer showed much of the same.

The only consolation is that this is apparently "in-game".

#36 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostSinitron, on 07 March 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Well yeah, but MW4 was kind of a joke in this regard as almost every map was essentially a huge open field with little to no cover save for a few hills, and most people seemed to love Nova Cats.

Not every map was wide open. Regardless, even in tightly packed city maps...an Atlas was a joke.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 07 March 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#37 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 07 March 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

The Jenner is also further back in the dropship than the Atlas, so the size may not be as much off as it seems. We need them to line up the current featured mechs side by side so we can get a better idea of scale. But in one of the blogs, or posts or something they did state scale was one of the things they were trying to focus on heavily.

Nnnnnnnah. The Jenner is really that small for this game.
Yyyyyyyeah. Its probably quite accurate for scale for this game (Weapons and ammo at least).

The one thing I think ppl are forgetting is that the Atlas will never be seen out in the open. Actually Scout 'Mechs with such high speeds needing large maps are far more likely to be out in the open.

From what the devs have detailed, the maps are dense, not open. It doesn't matter if you're 18 meters (still canon inaccurate I say but hey...) if you walk among buildings, trees, boulders that are all 20m and up!!!

This game is not TT or MW4. The Assault will NOT be king of the battlefield. But it will NOT be a white elephant either. In the right situation, like all the classes, it will be a game changer.

#38 Sinitron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 07 March 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Not every map was wide open. Regardless, even in tightly packed city maps...an Atlas was a joke.

I would still attribute this mainly to flaws MW4 had as a game, not necessarily any scaling issues.

#39 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thats a very vague statement. You'll need to elaborate some

or are we going too off topic now

Right, the picture. Looks pretty. Graphics look nice, even though we already saw this in the teaser. Need new stuff.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 07 March 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#40 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostSinitron, on 07 March 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

and most people seemed to love Nova Cats.

Most certainly did!

http://mwomercs.com/...-poetry-thread/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users