1st Person View or 3rd Person View?

181 replies to this topic

Poll: 1st Person view or 3rd Person view or Both? (489 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be 3rd Person view or Strictly 1st Person View?

1. Voted 1st Person Only (258 votes [52.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.76%

2. 1st Person or 3rd Person, Players choice a la MW4 (158 votes [32.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.31%

3. 1st Person Primarily, w/ Ability to switch to 3rd Person view while holding a mapped button / keystroke (65 votes [13.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

4. I don't care either way (8 votes [1.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

Vote

#161 T0RC4ED

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

1st person only, I see nothing wrong with 3rd person view on 3rd person view only servers.

View PostJackRabbtT, on 21 April 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Now for all you 1st person 3PV is cheating people, would having fog of war make you happy? Meaning you can see your mech, but you cant see enemy mechs unless in line of sight from the cockpit on your mech.

This isn't a bad idea, but Im sure people who didnt get the memo on how it was intended to work will complain about not being able to see a mech behind a hill or building.

#162 neodym

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Locationready to help with closed beta

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

I dont get it... if you want it to be max simulation experince go ahead be all the time in 1st person but dont try to take us our loved third person view...

#163 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Except if 3rd person view is in then everyone has to use it because of the advantages in sight lines etc over 1st person. The devs obviously feel this way as they are launching with 1st person until they can do a 3rd person that isn't "Godmode".

#164 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Forced first person is what makes sense.

If they do decide to add 3rd person you can be betting I wont be turning down the combat advantage though -- it would just be better if it was not added.

#165 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

3rd person
No Heat
Unlimited Ammo

I want none of these in the game. Ever. Not as options, not EVER.

#166 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Perhaps the DEV would put an extra Monitor in the cockpit, one that displays the MechLab version of that pretty Dress you put your mech into, and slowly rotate it as well, so while the Gauss slugs fly, the 3rd person pilots can see how pretty your Mech looks in that new Spring Camo Dress, while shedding it 1 ton at time. :P

Edited by MaddMaxx, 25 April 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#167 Valkyrie Onyx

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 82 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere, Planet Luthien

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I’ve always been a big fan of first person and 3rd person, so I can check out how bad *** my mech is!

Edited by Valkyrie Onyx, 25 April 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#168 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I chose both, since it'd be nice to be given more choice. However, I'd personally stick with first person myself. Because the Hula Girl is INSIDE the cockpit.

#169 Purgatory22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

I went with both. Don't force someone to play your way let them enjoy the game the way they want to play it. It gets me all these people saying it must be FFP because we've been waiting for years for this game. The guys who played 3rd person been waiting just as long.

#170 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

The devs did say, its First Person only, unless the can find a game legitimate reason for an external third person type camera POV.

#171 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

1st person is primary, there should be a hold key to look around in external view, but nothing usable in combat

#172 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

i dont see reason why we shouldn't be able to use both

#173 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostAelos03, on 07 May 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

i dont see reason why we shouldn't be able to use both

Ug, read the topic and you know why. Obviously it gives an advantage to use 3rd person, think about the horrible MW4, more in the posts here...

#174 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

View PostCW Grayson, on 07 May 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

Ug, read the topic and you know why. Obviously it gives an advantage to use 3rd person, think about the horrible MW4, more in the posts here...

yes i know but 1st person have its own advantage, i just think its better for game to have both because of new players it will be hard for them to orient where are legs and where is torso it will help them, it helped me i remember using 1st person then i get disoriented so i change view get my orient and go beck it was life saver, i dont mind playing 1st person but i want to see how my mech looks from time to time you know move it out side and i say to my self " awww coool i'm piloting that thing " every single time i change camera :)

#175 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

If it has both then everyone will be forced to use 3rd person because of the overwhelming tactical advantages. Devs have said 1st person only for that reason. Otherwise all the different cockpits would be wasted as no one would see them.

#176 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 07 May 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

If it has both then everyone will be forced to use 3rd person because of the overwhelming tactical advantages. Devs have said 1st person only for that reason. Otherwise all the different cockpits would be wasted as no one would see them.

well i prefer to use cockpit in mw4 its better i can target better/see better

#177 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

External view =/= 3rd person
U cant controll most of mech functions in EV

#178 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

Sure they should allow third person, as long as they keep it fair by:

-restricting to the save FOV

-having the same blockage of view that a cockpit creates

-not allowing the player to see any higher over the mech than they'd be able to in-cockpit

-now allowing players to see any more in any direction when "looking around" then someone in-cockpit

In other words, as long as they elimate all the things that actually makes it third person :)

This isn't Mechassault. Allowing a mapped key to switching to an external view (no controls or hud) would be one thing; it makes for nice screenshots. I see no reason for an actual third person mode, however, unless it was restricted to its own set of servers, and apparently the devs see no real reason for it either.

#179 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

This has been a topic since MW2 and i see no reason to change MechWarrior to a FFP view only it should be set by the server so players could choose FFP or 3rd person view.But if we have only one choice i feel it will exclude allot of people from playing MWO or even staying with the game for a long period of time.Mechwarrior has always been about choices weather it the view or mechlab or even the server settings.Limiting everything might become MWO,s downfall in this fast paced PC gaming world.

#180 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostKingCobra, on 07 May 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

This has been a topic since MW2 and i see no reason to change MechWarrior to a FFP view only it should be set by the server so players could choose FFP or 3rd person view.But if we have only one choice i feel it will exclude allot of people from playing MWO or even staying with the game for a long period of time.Mechwarrior has always been about choices weather it the view or mechlab or even the server settings.Limiting everything might become MWO,s downfall in this fast paced PC gaming world.

First person shooters do just fine without 3rd person views, now why would MWO suffer because of it? Also I don't think the servers will be community operated dedicated servers as in previous mechwarrior games, so there's no server settings to be set. This especially makes sense because our battles will be influencing the universe map so it wouldn't make sense to have different rules for different servers.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users