1st Person View or 3rd Person View?

181 replies to this topic

Poll: 1st Person view or 3rd Person view or Both? (489 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be 3rd Person view or Strictly 1st Person View?

1. Voted 1st Person Only (258 votes [52.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.76%

2. 1st Person or 3rd Person, Players choice a la MW4 (158 votes [32.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.31%

3. 1st Person Primarily, w/ Ability to switch to 3rd Person view while holding a mapped button / keystroke (65 votes [13.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

4. I don't care either way (8 votes [1.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

Vote

#21 aglarang

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationBuckminster

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

1st person only. 3rd person, as in MW4, allowed for unrealistic and unfair tactics. Their implementation of third person allowed for seeing beyond the mech while it was hull down behind a hill thus allowing visible line of sight beyond what you could see from 'your own eyes.' If everyone is 3rd person, fine, but with a mix, it creates an unfair advantage for those using it. Secondly, while on-board cameras are coming into being with cars and could certainly be part of a mech, it is not realistic to envision a camera floating in the air 20 feet behind and 5 feet above the mech. Not quite so realistic. Finally, from a simulation perspective, to keep the realism you keep what is available in the cockpit.. 3rd person view does not fit.

Honestly 3rd person views take me back to the MW4Mercs servers that ran NHUA with 3/4 of the players in BKs or some other Pop-tart mech using 3rd person to see over their cover, where they were protected, while waiting for someone to come in range. Did not understand how that could be fun for anyone... especially when both sides are littered with poptarters and its a game of wait to see who jumps first. bleh.

#22 Sheilei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOn a mountain shelf in the middle of freakin' nowhere.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

i replied first person only because that will put less of a strain on developers. This way they can spend more time polishing and adding details to the cockpit interior.
If we had both it would simply decrease the quality of both.

#23 Scurvy

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

Don't care honestly.

#24 Sebuku

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

1st Person only and plz with 6 D.O.F support for users with TrackIR oh and dont forget to support Surround-View too :-)

#25 KaoS Hazard

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

I like 3rd person over FFP. If you want it to be super realistic you should play on a server with those restrictions. If you want something like NHUA/3rd you should be able to play on a server with that setup. I think a forced perspective will alienate a lot of the players.

If we could get the same feel of Vengeance, this game would bring back a lot of the older community and hopefully attract considerably more newer players.

#26 Valerian Mengsk

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

As much as I like giving people choices, the simulation aspect of mechwarrior is too important to me which is why I support 1st person only.

#27 Ennui

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

I personally prefer first person exclusively, but I think there should be support for both 1st and 3rd person.

The devs already confirmed that there are multiple levels of control schemes (in terms of difficulty/realism/complexity) so that hardcore MW fans can have their awesome simulation experience without alienating new players who aren't familiar with controlling a mech... so hopefully they will cater to new players by allowing 3rd person as well.

#28 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

Allowing 3rd person allows people to "cheat" by switching out of the cockpit to see over hills. Pretty lame.

Force people to stay in 1st person (or include satellite uplink... engaged).

#29 Shai tan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

1st pov incockpit view. I never used the 3rd pov option anyways.

#30 Ennui

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

View PostMr_Blastman, on 02 November 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

Allowing 3rd person allows people to "cheat" by switching out of the cockpit to see over hills. Pretty lame.

Force people to stay in 1st person (or include satellite uplink... engaged).

Well, maybe it could be a filter option then... so when searching for a match you can opt for a match where 3rd person is disabled.

My fear is just that this needs more than just hardcore MW fans to be a successful F2P game, and the interface and mechanics of piloting a Mech are hard enough as it is without compounding the issue with low visibility.

Edited by Ennui, 02 November 2011 - 09:17 AM.

#31 KaoS Hazard

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

View PostEnnui, on 02 November 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Well, maybe it could be a filter option then... so when searching for a match you can opt for a match where 3rd person is disabled.

My fear is just that this needs more than just hardcore MW fans to be a successful F2P game, and the interface and mechanics of piloting a Mech are hard enough as it is without compounding the issue with low visibility.

I think MW4 server option for FFP/3rd is the way to go. If you want to play first person you can either go to a server forcing it or go into a 3rd person server and play first person if you please.

#32 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Having 3rd person as an option is fine with me. However, since it grants an advantage, games/matches should force only one kind of visibility.

#33 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

You should have 360 degree view as this is canon in battletech, but all of this should be from inside the cockpit as that is where you are...there are no floating cameras. And it is not about let one play how they want and let another play their way, it is about keeping expectations standard, I do not want to wonder if some guy had 3rd person on and can see me setting up an ambush before he gets to me, or before I even know he is there...kinda negates the information warfare part the devs were talking about.

#34 IronJaw

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

I choose both. Why not? You can just choose" FFP" only on the server options.

#35 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

Both, if only for the fact that looking through a monitor is artificially restricting. If you were really there you'd be able to easily look around and have a sense of where your mech was in relation to other objects. 3rd person allows you to have that sense without complicated look controls, etc.

#36 GR Avenger

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationAlma Alta, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

If this was a single player game only, then I'd vote for both type of views. However since this is going to be a solely multi player affair then 1st person view should be the only choice as it prevents "cheater" strategies.

P.S. On a second thought though, how will we take kickazz screenshots of our mechs in the midst of a battle? :)

Edited by GR Avenger, 02 November 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#37 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

Below is just a sample of what I was talking about because you don't like it that way, force it on everyone else to play how you like.

I think that is as selfish as it gets. I like FFP and didn't start using 3PV until a couple years after MW4 was released and realized it's advantages.

With that said, it should be a server side option. and depending on how they implement Multiplayer / hosting / whatever, they should either allow the server host select the type of server FFP or 3PV or Open, or if servers are run like WoW they should have servers that are FFP and 3PV, or Mixed.

Edited by OnLashoc, 02 November 2011 - 10:22 AM.

#38 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostMr_Blastman, on 02 November 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

Allowing 3rd person allows people to "cheat" by switching out of the cockpit to see over hills. Pretty lame. Force people to stay in 1st person (or include satellite uplink... engaged).

View Postshai`tan, on 02 November 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

1st pov incockpit view. I never used the 3rd pov option anyways.

View PostGR Avenger, on 02 November 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

If this was a single player game only, then I'd vote for both type of views. However since this is going to be a solely multi player affair then 1st person view should be the only choice as it prevents "cheater" strategies. P.S. On a second thought though, how will we take kickazz screenshots of our mechs in the midst of a battle? :)

#39 ChronoSpectre

Rookie

• The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

1st person. I always loved the feel of actually being inside a Mech and having a notion of controlling everything it does.

#40 -Teiwaz-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 202 posts
  • Location43°27'N / 80°30'W

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

If and when leagues start up then they can make the rules as they see fit. For myself I want 1PV at all times, we are after all supposed to be inside a cockpit!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users