1st Person View or 3rd Person View?

181 replies to this topic

Poll: 1st Person view or 3rd Person view or Both? (489 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be 3rd Person view or Strictly 1st Person View?

1. Voted 1st Person Only (258 votes [52.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.76%

2. 1st Person or 3rd Person, Players choice a la MW4 (158 votes [32.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.31%

3. 1st Person Primarily, w/ Ability to switch to 3rd Person view while holding a mapped button / keystroke (65 votes [13.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

4. I don't care either way (8 votes [1.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

Vote

#41 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

FP or bust! I want it as sim as possible and 3rd person just doesn't cut it.

#42 Toonarmy

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

Make it both, so people have a choice, if you dont like 3rd person just dont press the button to use it. how hard is that.

#43 Munchausen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

A button for "look around" is reasonable, but I don't think you should be able to fly in 3pv. Yes, there are the cover issues, but we're also looking at serious elevation issues if they actually manage to get the kind of gameplay implied by the trailer. The tactical advantage of parking a light mech on a building goes away if everyone just automatically sees you when they run by.

#44 Sinner TM

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

I play either ffp or 3pv so I think we should always have a choice. But to go FFP is ghey and noobish to say the least So I agree with Onnie 120%

#45 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

FPS only. Third-person was and always will be a subtle form of cheating IMO.

#46 OnLashoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

View Postcavadus, on 02 November 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

FPS only. Third-person was and always will be a subtle form of cheating IMO.

Again how is this cheating?

cheat/CHēt/

Noun: A person who behaves dishonestly in order to gain an advantage. Verb: Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".

If it is a 3PV Server, is it an advantage if everyone is in 3PV? So how is it a cheat or subtle form of cheating?

Edited by OnLashoc, 02 November 2011 - 11:26 AM.

#47 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

View PostOnLashoc, on 02 November 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

Again how is this cheating?

Two reasons:

1) You can see mechs which would otherwise be concealed; and
2) You can see your surroundings which would otherwise be concealed.

These are huge advantages over a cockpit view. And even if you eliminate drawing mechs that can't be seen in first-person while in third-person you're still getting the benefit of greatly enhanced situational awareness which a cockpit view would not provide.

Anyways, I understand that you, personally, don't think it's cheating and that's fine. Your mind is made up and you will never be convinced otherwise so why even bother asking?

#48 Sinner TM

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

I get real time images of my mech via satellite, **** im not even in it when it blows up I'm running it by way of remote. Welcome to the future lolzzzz

#49 KaoS Hazard

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

I'm still not 100% how the gameplay is setup.

Is this going to be some crappy WoW like game or a traditional system (MW4) which someone hosts a game/lobby?

If it is traditional we should have the option to play 1st/3rd person.

I agree with Onnie.

#50 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

This is the Action Mecha Combat Simulator. Last I checked Combat Sims are NOT Third person.

Third person has always lead to unintended gameplay in almost every game, notably MechWarrior 3 and especially 4 (yeah I'm looking at you, poptarts). First person ONLY!

#51 KaoS Hazard

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 02 November 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

This is the Action Mecha Combat Simulator. Last I checked Combat Sims are NOT Third person.

Third person has always lead to unintended gameplay in almost every game, notably MechWarrior 3 and especially 4 (yeah I'm looking at you, poptarts). First person ONLY!

How is it unintended gameplay if it is built into the game? Go ahead and alienate half the community with this FFP ****.

#52 Dividan

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

I like the idea of the first person only. Makes the game more of a simulator, in 1st person you feel like your in the cockpit, in 3rd you feel as if you are just watching. Plus if it were 1st person only no one would have an advantage or a greater FOV.
Just my opinion :)

#53 Lori Black Widow Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

View PostMr_Blastman, on 02 November 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

Allowing 3rd person allows people to "cheat" by switching out of the cockpit to see over hills. Pretty lame.

Force people to stay in 1st person (or include satellite uplink... engaged).

Are you serious? If switch to 3pv is available to everybody, how is that cheating? If you just like more clean HUD with cockpit off, fine with me. Please accept there are different opinions than yours.

[EDIT]@OP: If there will be a match recording option, so I can watch my mech in action from a different perspective afterwards, I am fine with 1st person only. :)

Edited by Lori Black Widow Carlyle, 02 November 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#54 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

View PostLori Black Widow Carlyle, on 02 November 2011 - 11:54 AM, said:

Are you serious? If switch to 3pv is available to everybody, how is that cheating? If you just like more clean HUD with cockpit off, fine with me. Please accept there are different opinions than yours. [EDIT]@OP: If there will be a match recording option, so I can watch my mech in action from a different perspective afterwards, I am fine with 1st person only. :)

Yeah, so let's just force every player into third-person so they can be competitive. Sounds awesome, yo :D

The problem with third person as an option is that it isn't optional.

Put players in the cockpit where they belong.

Edited by cavadus, 02 November 2011 - 12:21 PM.

#55 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

First Person View only.

#56 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Cockpit view should be the only available view, unless there would be some sort of recon mode view for gathering intelligence or making clan videos.

#57 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

First person only.

3rd person is for hill humpers.

#58 Ossie

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

View PostLori Black Widow Carlyle, on 02 November 2011 - 11:54 AM, said:

Are you serious? If switch to 3pv is available to everybody, how is that cheating? If you just like more clean HUD with cockpit off, fine with me. Please accept there are different opinions than yours.

[EDIT]@OP: If there will be a match recording option, so I can watch my mech in action from a different perspective afterwards, I am fine with 1st person only. :)

The Kesmai guys made this same argument with Airwarrior when they made plans to allow 3rd person in that game. I thought it flawed then as I do now. I realize this is mostly an apples/oranges thing but the principle may apply if cockpits in this game are unique to the respective mech, in which case internal visibility becomes a characteristic advantage/disadvantage to that mech, just like armor, weapons and speed are characteristics that a pilot must consider. Allowing everybody the option of 3rd person negates that characteristic of visibility from the battle, allowing some mechs an advantage they otherwise wouldn't have.

If the game is designed around servers/rooms or whatever and allows certain options to be turned on or off for the ensuing battle, then it makes sense to have both. In a universal setting it should be a first-person view.

#59 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Not to nitpick, but when did they decide to give 3rd Person in Air Warrior?

#60 Syndicate

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

This all depends on how far the camera is from the mech Imo.

If we are talking third person over the shoulder like most games today are where the option of zooming out is NOT allowed; then yeah I am fine with third person because the person playing in third person will not gain any more advantage as far as peripheral vision or the means to zoom out and have eyes in the back of his head too.

Both first person players and third person players would still have the same screen on the battle field more or less.

As far as looking behind you goes. I would not mind not being able to see behind me. If however this is added it should be pilot head turn only. The reason why I say Pilot head turn is because if it was any other way people would be running along and then snapping around when someone sneaks up behind them.

As many of us know already this kind of glance over the shoulder to see if someone is behind you wont hurt anything because;

Mech have different turn speeds when moving and Most mechs cannot torso twist 360 D to fire and run.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users