1st Person View or 3rd Person View?

181 replies to this topic

Poll: 1st Person view or 3rd Person view or Both? (489 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be 3rd Person view or Strictly 1st Person View?

1. Voted 1st Person Only (258 votes [52.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.76%

2. 1st Person or 3rd Person, Players choice a la MW4 (158 votes [32.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.31%

3. 1st Person Primarily, w/ Ability to switch to 3rd Person view while holding a mapped button / keystroke (65 votes [13.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

4. I don't care either way (8 votes [1.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

Vote

#81 Ossie

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

View PostAJC, on 02 November 2011 - 07:52 PM, said:

ugh i think both sides should just shut up the **** up and deal with whatever we get.

it's stuff like this is why i feel mechwarrior will always have fanbase issues because they don't stop arguing over stuff like this.

Well to be fair, every online game has fanbase issues because everybody has their own ideas of of what will and won't work. It won't take more than one update after release before people are threatening to quit because "the developers are ruining the game".

#82 Vortigern

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

1st person is basically necessary when it comes to combat. I like a 3rd person vanity cam though.

#83 Drakken

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

I personally like 3rd person point of view because it gives me much better peripheral vision, thus allowing me greater situational awareness. Greater situational awareness allows me to react to changes on the fly, and that gives me a little more longevity on the field. That said, it should be player's choice. I realize the game developers want us to "feel like we're piloting giant machines," but there needs to be a happy medium. Taking the choice away from gamers is never a wise move.

#84 Roh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, US

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

View PostDrakken, on 02 November 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

I personally like 3rd person point of view because it gives me much better peripheral vision, thus allowing me greater situational awareness. Greater situational awareness allows me to react to changes on the fly, and that gives me a little more longevity on the field. That said, it should be player's choice. I realize the game developers want us to "feel like we're piloting giant machines," but there needs to be a happy medium. Taking the choice away from gamers is never a wise move.

You know normally I couldn't agree with you more. Taking out options is never a good thing. But I view it slightly differently. I don't think options of things to do should be taken away. First/3rd person is a bit different. The only thing you can do in 3rd person that you cant do in first is see around corners without being seen. And I don't think very many people are going to admit that this is why they want 3rd person. So while taking away things like mechlab and multiple terrain types. Different mech models and weapons.. That would be bad. Refining the gameplay without taking away from it doesnt seem like removing options to me.

As I said while I want first person and NO 3rd person.. If there had to be 3rd person I would rather first person not be done at all. Do one. Do it extremely well. Build the game around it. That is what I want.

Edited by roh, 02 November 2011 - 08:56 PM.

#85 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

The problem with 3rd Person View, and this is what happened in MW4, is that if you allow it, you have to use it. It's not about freedom of choice once the option is on the table; either you use it, or you put yourself at a disadvantage.

Don't kid yourself: 3rd person view gives you a larger field of view, a better idea of where your feet are heading, and allows you to see around corners without revealing your profile. This is a huge deal, and it breaks the game for those seeking immersion and a fair chance in the same package. It's one or the other at that point.

I would rather we go back to MW's roots and stay away from MW4/MechAssault-styled viewpoints.

#86 DamoclesGuard

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationStillwater, Oklahoma

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

I chose 1st person with the idea that it would be "in the cockpit."

I like cockpits in my Mechwarrior games.

#87 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

You know guys, Mechwarrior 2 didn't have this problem because your targeting reticule became invisible when you went into third person. It was never practically useful except for performing your jumps better.

#88 Airwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWhere's the dropship? I want off this rock!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

Personally, I'll go with whatever option that will get me back into a mech cockpit sooner (grin).

Having said that, if there's going to be a replay option, that I wouldn't mind seeing in a 3rd person or strategic view.

#89 DoubleD

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 60 posts
  • LocationDixie, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

It seems I am in a minority here, but I would like the opportunity to switch between them. In MW3 I couldn't get the hang of using third person perspective. I just couldn't not function with it well enough. That wasn't too bad though as the cockpits in MW3 looked fantastic and moved along the lines of just how I thought they should. So first person view was more comfortable. When MW4 came out it was just the opposite for me. IMO many of the cockpits looked bland and uninteresting, a randomly bouncy, featureless black box with windows. So, I found third person perspective more comfortable. That and by MW4: Mercs, the battlemechs looked fantastic for the most part. I just liked to look and appreciate my own machine as it tore through the enemy.

For this new installment I guess what I will prefer will depend on how close to MW3 FPP they make it with whatever improvements there are. I can tell you now though, the 'mechs in this game look fantastic thus far, and there are going to be times when I want to admire my own rather than just the enemies seen through the window. Chock it up to be just being a visual person. A simple theater feature similar to Halo would alleviate this for me, but I don't see why they would stick such a feature in.

Here's hoping for...some kind of alternative.

#90 raphael

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

View Postcavadus, on 02 November 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

Two reasons:

1) You can see mechs which would otherwise be concealed; and
2) You can see your surroundings which would otherwise be concealed.

These are huge advantages over a cockpit view. And even if you eliminate drawing mechs that can't be seen in first-person while in third-person you're still getting the benefit of greatly enhanced situational awareness which a cockpit view would not provide.

Anyways, I understand that you, personally, don't think it's cheating and that's fine. Your mind is made up and you will never be convinced otherwise so why even bother asking?

But everyone has the same advantage! It's not that only some people would have it, they all have it. So it's not cheating.

#91 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

View Postraphael, on 02 November 2011 - 10:49 PM, said:

But everyone has the same advantage! It's not that only some people would have it, they all have it. So it's not cheating.

Its not a question of having an unfair advantage over someone else. Its the UNINTENDED advantage people get when using 3rd person. You're NOT suppose to see around the corner without exposing yourself.You're NOT suppose to be able to see over a hill to know the exact moment to pop out and fire. People WILL take advantage of the camera angles outside of what you're meant to see, forcing others to use it or be at a disadvantage otherwise. Its not that hard to understand. Thank *** it won't be included.

Edited by mwhighlander, 02 November 2011 - 10:57 PM.

#92 CloudCobra

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 87 posts
  • LocationAnchorage,AK

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

I dont like the idea of third person when compeiting. People will use it to see around buildings and to get angles their character wouldn't have access too. I'd only be for it in a limited way like you would only have it if you use a UAV and then I think i would be best if only scouts had that.

#93 Nailz

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

How about a cockpit view with a HUD that has smaller views on the left, right and rear of the Mech, complete with proximity alerts for movement and incoming fire? Sounds like it would add an interesting and realistic element to the combat situation.

#94 taxman

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWirral Cheshire England

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:21 AM

View PostOnLashoc, on 02 November 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

And it's annoying to those of us that do want it to hear your arguements stating WHY we shouldn't have the ability to play it that way.

I could care less about the romance and novals and love for "realistic simulator ****". However I do not want arcade mech assault either.

I want a solid game that has similarities of MW4 with today's computing power. Plain and simple.

Very well put !

#95 OnLashoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

I hope they at least give us the option to press or hold a button to use 3rd Person View like a racing game. I will play the game regardless, as I said I can play FFP very well, but I like 3PV better.

#96 The Shadow

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSeattle Area

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:59 AM

first person is what this game will be all about, 3rd person is like mech assault.

#97 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:13 AM

Kind of excited to see how the whole 'inside the cockpit, looking around' thing works out. I hope I can get fuzzy dice for my HUD

#98 Varador

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:52 AM

The devs have spoken on the issue, but i think that being first person with a toggle for limited 3rd person would be good, if only to give you something more to look at while you're traveling out of combat.

#99 Tierloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationWAR_Homeworld

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:59 AM

I will admit that in most driving games that offer a bumper cam, I drive using that instead of the 3rd person view, though I also don't use the "cockpit" view from behind the wheel, as the "hud" (dash, roof) blocks a large % of the viewable screen area. Unfortunately without multiple monitor support to allow automatic left and right views (three monitors), FFP presents a 2 d style viewing plane like horse blinders that realistically do not exist in a cockpit. Several mech chassis do not present windows for the pilot anyway, you sit inside the chest or head unit and are completely protected, using camera views and displays to pilot the chassis. You might as well be in the army flying drones over Afghanistan from 1000 miles away.

I also find there is a strong presentation of gyro that makes the screen bounce when you move in most FFPs to simulate the mechanical feel. Makes some of the lighter chassis impossible to drive and exposes the pilot to seizure level visual effects.

One of the best visual parts of the game is watching the mech move and shoot and fight and lost parts/arms etc. I feel FFP limits all of those effects and presentations. It's easy enough to restrict the pilot to using FFP when desired .. why not have both options with certain games or missions FFP only?

#100 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

Ok, now to completely contradict what I said previously - which was 1st person only.

Having now seen the trailer for the failed MW5, the idea of a drone launched from a mech that gives 3rd person makes sense. If this is a Battletech sim, well, all those games are top down, and there is no 'hull down' because its a freakin' robot the size of a two story house. Oh, look, theres an Atlas over there - I dont have LOS because its behind a hill, but its got a fusion reactor thats being held together by duct tape and chicken wire and leaking every **** particle known to man, and my cup of coffee is vibrating every time the **** thing takes a step.

This would also be a good use of ECM - whats that? Your Assassin isnt going to be of any use against that assault lance? Well, it is now, because you've customized it to carry an ECM system, and now not only are you spotting for your assault lance, but they've just lost their top-down capability and have to rely on line of sight. Suddenly LOS doesnt stand for Line of Sight, it stands for Loss of Signal.

-Don

"Columbia, Houston, we have 40 seconds to LOS, after LOS you're looking good for an over-the-hill; we'll see you in Madrid."
-comms chatter, first launch of the USS Columbia, background to Rush "Countdown"

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users