1st Person View or 3rd Person View?

181 replies to this topic

Poll: 1st Person view or 3rd Person view or Both? (489 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be 3rd Person view or Strictly 1st Person View?

1. Voted 1st Person Only (258 votes [52.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.76%

2. 1st Person or 3rd Person, Players choice a la MW4 (158 votes [32.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.31%

3. 1st Person Primarily, w/ Ability to switch to 3rd Person view while holding a mapped button / keystroke (65 votes [13.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

4. I don't care either way (8 votes [1.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

Vote

#141 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:33 AM

Personally, I would be OK with gun cams, UAV views, rear cameras, etc, but a view that is physically detached from the 'mech or any of its information gathering apparatus is no good.

#142 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

They announced the 16th, MWO will be 1st person.

Edited by metrO, 18 November 2011 - 03:14 AM.

#143 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

Personally I would use first person, but I can see the attraction of a third person view.

#144 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Until I can actually have the 360 degree view strip that mechs are supposed to have in my house, I'll take 3PV as a runner up.

#145 Sergei Smirnov

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

MechWarrior is Simulation: First person.

#146 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:09 AM

View PostSergei Smirnov, on 21 November 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

MechWarrior is Simulation: First person.

Not for me it's not. For me it's a giant robot shooting game. People have to wake up to the fact that very few people are going to be playing with three screens, two joysticks and a neural implant.

If you think 3rd person gives too great an advantage to someone then implement a system whereby the draw distance/line of sight is measured from two little tine orbs in the cockpit and only show in detail what can be seen. Everything else appears as a radar blip in the 3rd person landscape until it enters your mech LOS.

I cannot stress this enough; MWO will have plenty of established competitors; limitations are a poor idea.

Edited by Sam Slade, 22 November 2011 - 05:53 AM.

#147 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:07 AM

View PostMetro, on 18 November 2011 - 03:14 AM, said:

They announced the 16th, MWO will be 1st person.

#148 Sergei Smirnov

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

View PostSam Slade, on 22 November 2011 - 03:09 AM, said:

Not for me it's not. For me it's a giant robot shooting game.

You are playing wrong game.

People have to wake up to the fact that very few people are going to be playing with three screens, two joysticks and a neural implant.

What does this do with perspective? One screen and one joystick sufficient. "neural implant" ...poor joke, yes?

#149 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Truthfully, I liked the "no cockpit patch" 1st person. I know, horrible, but true. Looking forward to the whole cockpit view, now it I can get 3 large monitors, or at least one large one, and 2 mediums, that will be nice. I never liked the 3rd person except to cheat the system play constraints.

#150 AngelOfClans

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

If yall are just worried about the reality of having 3rd person veiw. Just put a camera on an antenna on top of the mech and the pilot will have a virtual helmet on that removes the mech itself giving full visability. you can also make it so you can shoot off the antenna so the pilot can lose 3rd person view. No matter how you look at it you need to have the 3rd person view because many people like it and it can draw more players to the game. those that dont like it can have games restricting it.

At least giv us the ability to remove the hud to give greater visability....please....

#151 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I cannot stress this enough; MWO will have plenty of established competitors; imitations are a poor idea.

Fixed that for ya. You are right. Hawken and Reign of Thunder will do 3rd Person Mech action shooters. These are not MW Competition, nor should PGI emulate them.

I bet those two games will have completely boring, non interactive first person views.

#152 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

View Postmechsae, on 17 November 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

2)To visually gauge the battlefield without exposing myself

This is why you need forced first person. Either that or market this game as a third person game if you allow it as an option, because its advantage it too great to pass up.

#153 Bold

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

If its forced first person, I would never consider buying visual customizations for my mechs and I feel others would share my opinion.

MWO could lose potential micro transactions by having FFP so it wouldn't be a smart move for a FTP game.

#154 Dragorath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Since you are piloting the mech and not hovering over it like a ghost and you are also not a transzendental being, you are WITHIN the cockpit.
Summary: of course only 1st person cockpit view!!!!!

#155 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

First person of course.

View PostKaoS_Hazard, on 02 November 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

If we could get the same feel of Vengeance, this game would bring back a lot of the older community and hopefully attract considerably more newer players.

Nope, i don't want the community which relayed on third person. Poptards galore. I don't want MW4.
There COULD be a switch for the simulator mode i suggested in NH/UA topic, but not in the "real" game.

Edited by CW Grayson, 19 April 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#156 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

They've already stated that they'll be considering 3rd person after launch but making it a lobby locked option (to allow it or not). Which is a decent compromise, honestly.

#157 Tremor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationUnknown

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

It's kind of simple. Third person gives fields of vision that a Mechwarrior would not have avaliable to him/her.

Their choice to stick to first person was an obvious one, as MW:O is a simulation, not an arcade brawler.

#158 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 20 April 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

They've already stated that they'll be considering 3rd person after launch but making it a lobby locked option (to allow it or not). Which is a decent compromise, honestly.

Citation? Source? :D

#159 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostAngelOfWar, on 19 April 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

At least giv us the ability to remove the hud to give greater visability....please....

neg, that would mean that you are not in the game.

#160 JackRabbtT

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Location3rd Gear

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

O wow guys way too much emotion here, get some water and rinse the sand out, calm it down. Now for all you 1st person 3PV is cheating people, would having fog of war make you happy? Meaning you can see your mech, but you cant see enemy mechs unless in line of sight from the cockpit on your mech. I’m sure doing this would be much easier then drone cameras or some complex bs. Mechs are ******* awesome cockpit view and in 3PV. I like both views and yes your right you can see around corners, I’m sure that guy is using haxs too.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook