Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Where .. is Hula Betty?

#22 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostLordKelvin, on 07 March 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

You mention that pilots will be able to look around inside of their own cockpits using Pilot Look, and that arm-mounted weapons will track with where the pilot is looking. Does this mean that the game will support head-tracking software and accessories like TrackIR, FreeTrack, FaceTrackNoIR, etc.?

You've posted before that this game will fully support joysticks. How will the "Stop 'Mech" key ("X" in the blog post) work alongside joysticks that have throttles?

The blog post says that 'Mech movement can be affected by the environment, such as trees and hills. What about other environmental factors affecting 'Mech performance, such as planet climate (desert worlds or arctic worlds affecting heatsink performance), weather (hail or sandstorms causing jams in ballistic weapons) and gravity (for 'Mechs equipped with jump jets)?

To expand on the throttle question. Assuming throttles are supported, how will reverse be handled? Can we assume that you will throttle down and then toggle between forward and reverse?

#23 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Psst! Hey people, feel free to "ask" one of my questions (since only the first gets asked) :P

Q. Will Mechs be exposed to randomized weather? If so, to what extent? Do missions/operations/games play out at different times of the day (dawn, midday, dusk, night)?

Q. Will same chassis, but different varaint Mechs visually look different so that weapons mounted in specified locations are reflected on the model itself?

Q. Will players be allowed to create custom variants for additional C-bills? Can players rename their variant to a user-defined moniker?

Q. Can you explain the "tracking" abilities and steps needed to perform them for LRMs?

Q. Will the game be featuring reactor coring with massive explosions afterwards? If so, what are the approximate chances of this occurring (ie, about 1 in X kills)

Q. Will players be able to utilize gaming hardware such as NaturalPoint's TrackIR to easily look around inside their cockpit?

Q. Will Mechs support the ability to sidestep?

Q. How do Mechs react to having their leg destroyed? Does it lock up at a failed actuator? Does the leg act as a crutch and slow movement? Does the leg break off and immobilize the Mech? Can a Mech survive with 2 broken legs?

Q. Will excessive heat have visual effects on the pilot in tandem with the adverse affects on the Mech's operational status, such as blurred vision or temporarily passing out?

Q. Can the cockpit sustain visual damage (cracks, chips, etc.) that can obscure the pilot's clarity of vision out of it?

Q. Can you go into depth explaining the game's implementation of the Radar modes available and their affect on detection as well as limitations on weapons?

Q. What kind of damage will a jumpjetting Mech sustain if it lets itself fall from the apex of a jump and does not attempt to soften the landing with thrusts?

Q. As heat sinks are destroyed, will the Mech's heat dissipation capabilities scale down appropriately?

Q. Do in-battle options exist for repairs/refitting ammo/etc.?

Q. I did not notice a coolant meter adjacent to the heat gauge. Will the Mechs not utilize an ever-present cooling method like coolant flushing and instead be limited to modular cooling solutions like 1-time use cooling pods or environmental cooling like bodies of water?

Q. If charging is in the game, what is the pro/con to the ability? For the ability to charge and do physical impact damage, what is the risk involved? Self damage? Falling over? Do all Mechs have the ability to charge?

Q. Can you go into how MWO is implementing engine and internal structure customizations in the Mech Lab? Does the Mech Lab utilize hardpoints, critical space or some new mechanic?

Q. Will in-game weather affect the visibility of the cockpit (ie, rain drops at different intervals with precipitation, frost around the edges on cold maps, etc.)

Q. Aside from shutting down, are there ever times when the HUD will not be available? (ie, PPC hit, requires HUD reboot, or a electronics subsystem failure)

Q. Will MWO utillize differing Armor Types that best address a weapon type (aside from the default Ferro-fibrous), ie Reflective against energy, reactive against projectiles, reinforced against ballistics?

Edited by Aegis Kleaisâ„¢, 10 March 2012 - 05:23 AM.

#24 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

Q. Will players be allowed to create custom variants for additional C-bills? Can players rename their variant to a user-defined moniker?

To expand on this one, will customization of mechs weapons, armor, etc be allowed at all or will they be strictly limited to 'known' variants?

(I know we've asked this one before, but being it mech warfare month and all...)

Edited by Damon Howe, 07 March 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#25 Breeze

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

1) The blog mentioned that the amount and speed of the twist and pitch of the torso varies in each mech. Would arm movement also be subjected to the same conditions?

2) If the arm reticule is moving independently, I would assume that there would be a hard limit of its movement, such as the edges of the screen. Would this be an accurate assumption?

3) With the ammo count, is the number reflected the number of salvos or the number of actual ammunition? Say for an LRM20... would the display show that I've got 10 salvos left (10 shots of 20 missiles each) or the total number of missiles (10x20=200)?

4) Is there a maximum/minimum effective range for weapons? In the TT version, there's penalties for not using a weapon in its optimum range. Would this be reflected in MWO? For example, there could be arming distance for long ranged missiles, or perhaps either damage reduction or splash damage to myself for using a PPC up close.

#26 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Q: How will throttle reflect the difference between walking, running, and standing in order to reflect the penalties giving per movement type for weapons convergence?

Q: Will X dead stop be a different nature deceleration then gradual S key reverse power? How will weight, speed, and engine power affect deceleration?

Q: Will constant/ non constant throttle be implemented as suggesting in the forums?

Q: Will groups be able to be fired as defined per button, or do they have to be actively switched to in order to be fired?

Q: Will predefined engine power output ratios be able to be keyed as in the previous mechwarrior games with number 1 to 10 being perspectively 0 to 100% power in intervals on ten?

Q: Will crack shots be able to be done with weapons convergience? For Example, having a weapon purposefully focused on something other then the target mech in order to put it in the line of fire of an unfocused shot.
OR Having a mech off target and pivoting you mech in order to sweep the current focus of your weapons over the target mech without it being focused on.

Q: How will damage/ and as well as damage to actuators affect weapons convergence?

Q: How will the nature of Jump movement be handled? What kind of feel can we expect from it?

Q: How will acceleration be handled? Can we expect that running down hill will allow us to move above our max speed/ with gravity assisted acceleration? Also will acceleration be uniformly distributed or will acceleration be easier at lower throttle but take longer at higher throttles to reach max speed?

Q: How long is the DOT for laser? Are lasers balanced to be more effective vs slow targets then fast targets?

Q: Missiles, can they be destroyed by direct hits from weapons?

Q: Someone mentioned the lack of footprints in the GDC interview, will footprints be in?

Q: Will lasers be able to be "Flashed", as in having a partial discharge, or will once triggered discharge all their energy uninterrupted. "looking at the hunchback friendly fire in GDC"

Q: can we have some clarification on how the pilot will be affect in battle? Are there any elements akin to pilot hits built into the game? Will heat and falling negatively affect the physical condition of the pilots? Can we expect medical fees?

Edited by ManDaisy, 12 March 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#27 Midgie

Swaybacked

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 192 posts
  • LocationThe unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Can weapons be fired while a mech is jumping, and if so, does the use of jump jets negatively affect weapons convergence?

Edited by Midgie, 08 March 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#28 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

I'll just come out and ask it:

Will there be melee? Not DFA or charging. I mean actual melee combat. Punching, kicking, judo chops, whatever.

Edit:

Question 2:
What is meant by this:
"In addition to this, we have found that players differ in their preference in terms of which direction a BattleMech turns while reversing. This too will be added to the Options screen as a selectable choice."

Direction a Battlemech turns while reversing? Is there some sort of special reversing button that quickly spins your mech around, as opposed to just holding turn left/ turn right?

Edited by Orzorn, 07 March 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#29 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Had another question. Is the possible to shoot directly behind you with one arm, like in MW3, with 90° torso twist plus one arm 90° twisted with cockpit look?

#30 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

^ Oooo SHINY! Expanding on that, will rear mounted weapons be accessible? Any Options to look behind with rear facing cameras etc.

Edited by ManDaisy, 07 March 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#31 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

If I am taking fire from behind, can a pivot right, combined with torso right, bring arm weapons rapidly to bear on what was directly behind me; specifically trying to target a Jenner giving grief to my Atlas' rear armor?

I am just wanting a more in-depth explanation of the pivot, its reason for inclusion, potential uses. Examples, in game footage demonstrating the differences between pivoting, and turning in various mechs would be welcome but not expected.

If I had a second question it would be regarding the use of the Jenner and Atlas more than the other mechs. Seeing some Demo shots of the Catapult and Dragon would be Awesome. (yes, I know you have not released that mech, yet, but could not resist the pun.)

#32 Iron Wardog

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationAn'Ting

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Q: Will there be a manual override to set weapon convergence to a set range and is there an interface indicator for current weapon convergence (current convergence range or Time-To-Converge-On-Target)?

If weapon convergence is out of scope for this Q&A then please ask the following.

Q: The cockpit interface has actuator indicators. How do actuators impact the gameplay (are there actuators for legs/arms/torso, can they be directly damaged and what are the implications of damaged actuators)?

Edited by Iron_Wardog, 07 March 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#33 Iron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Will we be able to dump ammo if you fill it is in danger of exploding?
Is the mech"s picture the only thing available for the damage view for your mech and your enemy or will we be able to switch to a bar graph style like in mw4?

#34 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Okay, my number one concern was if I can re-map the keys to what works for me... but thankfully someone else already asked this.

cool... So... I did not see anything about Heat Sinks.

I admit that I am an avid ER medium laser lover...
I like them, I like them allot.. and I am totally cool with other peeps who also like them.
Will I be able (mech Specs permitting) To Load up with Medium Lasers and Heat Sinks?

#35 borisof007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, California

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostDayuhan, on 07 March 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

3) It looks like there are two damage displays, one in the lower left-hand corner and one in the upper right-hand corner? Are both these for your own 'mech or is one of them showing the condition of the targetted 'mech?

4) For pivoting "torso-twists" you indicated this would differ between 'mech chassis. Is pivoting affected by the 'mech chassis design, that is how the chassis is built and depicted graphically or will the ability to pivot be a calculation based upon the 'mechs tonnage or fusion engine rating?

5) The picture shows the pilot looking out a center viewing portal, but there are indications that there are side viewing portals as well. Will a pilot be able to look out these side portals without changing the orientation of the 'mech itself. For example. This 'mech is moving forward and is pivoted to the right. Could the pilot look left to see where the are going without having to torso twist in back in that direction. I can see this being really useful for fighting while moving as you can glance to make sure your direction of movement is not taking you towards an obstacle while maintaining target. If you have to constantly shift back and forth to make sure you path of travel is not obstructed it is going to be very difficult to maintain level 4 targetting while moving.

3. One is for your mech, the other is for your target.

4. Not certain, but I imagine that there will be some limitations to pivoting, but not as much as torso twisting.

5. Pilots can "free look" and when disengaged, will resume to where your reticule is.

#36 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

In relation to weapon balance, in particular laser vs ballistic weapons, ballistic seem to have the short end of the stick here as mentioned ballistic weapons have ammo and are subject to ammo detonation by override shutdown, being shot at, and an ongoing cost to replenish between matches, plus their ammo limit on the battle field. How will these two weapon groups be balanced other then heat, will lasers be subject to something similar to "ammo detonations"?

Note: I am all in favour of these realistic features but game wise it looks unbalanced giving to many faults to one weapon group over the other option, so an explanation of how the weapon types are balanced would be much appreciated thanks!

#37 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 07 March 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Specific to the control interface, what devices other than keyboard and mouse has the game been tested with for program-ability? Can keys be reconfigured in a setup screen for instance.

If not yet, will their be any testing prior to launch and are there or will there be any recommendations on HOTAS and Stick manufacturers?

Thank you,

Yes, please let us know if we can use our customization for the keyboard. I am trying to use the joysticks, but it is still not natual to me, though using the joysticks it would be more natural than the standard Mechwarrior keyboard configure. Very curious about reticule's respendent versitality, and hyperphoric learning curve. Thanks uncle danno

#38 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Question:

How will the dual targeting work if I'm using a HOTAS stick? My hat is a "click" rather than "thumbstick joystick", as it were. Will the mouse be the only way to control the arms of the mech?

Edited by SI The Joker, 07 March 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#39 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Effects like the glowing eyes, and possibly lasers. Will they be able to be switched off so you do not stand out like a field rave in the dark, or will it be like MWLL and glowing effects will always be on?

And to lightly add on to the question. Will we get spotlights to illuminate a area, and possibly different levels of illumination?

Otherwise, Freaking damn impressed with Dev Blog 5!

Edited by CoffiNail, 07 March 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#40 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostBlue Shadow, on 07 March 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

In relation to weapon balance, in particular laser vs ballistic weapons, ballistic seem to have the short end of the stick here as mentioned ballistic weapons have ammo and are subject to ammo detonation by override shutdown, being shot at, and an ongoing cost to replenish between matches, plus their ammo limit on the battle field. How will these two weapon groups be balanced other then heat, will lasers be subject to something similar to "ammo detonations"?

Note: I am all in favour of these realistic features but game wise it looks unbalanced giving to many faults to one weapon group over the other option, so an explanation of how the weapon types are balanced would be much appreciated thanks!

Ammunition is awesome! The destruction to heat ratio is far superior. You may not see the advatage being great, but trust me, heat is as much your enemy in the game as your opponent. It will balance out. It is a risk, but you can crush a foe, dispatch his thin skinned excuse of a mech.

You may take out your opponent's "heat sinks", his laser, ppc, flamer, whatever, will cause him to be too careful, and if not, he will shut down. If he does not have a buddy to slap you back, he is at your mercy, but if your like me,WE DON'T Have Any Mercy!!! LOL...BOOOM!!!

You will know where your ammo is stored, you can keep it protected a bit in battle. I assume some ammo explodes easier than otthers. There may also be "case" ammo pods eventually that can help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users