Please allow for custom decals, skins, etc.

15 replies to this topic

#1 MookieRah

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTupelo, MS

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

I don't care if this feature costs extra, but this would make me incredibly happy. As a graphic designer, competitive gamer, and avid fan of the mechwarrior/battletech franchise, I would love to be able to have custom paint jobs and decals for my lance. Not only that, it allows someone like me (and other designers) to produce other logos/blazons/content for your game.

#2 ELHImp

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

Custom skin arived
Posted Image

#3 MookieRah

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTupelo, MS

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

I endorse the above, especially if the lance name is the "Happy Cats."

Obviously there will have to be some sort of system to weed out all the impending phallic imagery, but it would add a lot to the game.

#4 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

I am a fan of custom paint schemes. It'd be really nice to be able to give your personal mech its own flair.

#5 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Here's my personal Mad Nyan Cat...

Posted Image

#6 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostElucid Ward, on 02 November 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

I love you.

#7 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

I like the idea of customising my own mech schemes but it won't take long before it starts getting really silly.

#8 mbt201188

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPickens, SC

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

Basically we need a livery editor type deal like off of Forza

#9 PK Violence

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX USA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Ya, the Forza type system would work well. Just as long as I don't have to shoot a nova in a two-two. Just not my thing...

#10 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

I'm definitely for custom skins and cockpits. There are some brilliantly creative people out there that could spend tons of time refining either. Anybody who's played Falcon 4 can relate to the potential.

#11 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Custom decals, perhaps. Custom skins: BIG FRACKING NO!

Why? Look at what happened in World of Tanks. They allow custom skins, and first thing people did were Hitzone skins showing you (with color codes) the kill spots on every tanks. You can bet this will happen in MWO too if they allow it.

I say no. No custom skin, but a single custom decal for player clans only, that I would agree (i.e. the decal would show up the same for all members of the clan).

#12 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

View Postrollermint, on 03 November 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

I like the idea of customising my own mech schemes but it won't take long before it starts getting really silly.

Who cares if it gets silly?

#13 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

View PostMookieRah, on 02 November 2011 - 07:24 AM, said:

I endorse the above, especially if the lance name is the "Happy Cats." Obviously there will have to be some sort of system to weed out all the impending phallic imagery, but it would add a lot to the game.

View PostTweaks, on 03 November 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Custom decals, perhaps. Custom skins: BIG FRACKING NO! Why? Look at what happened in World of Tanks. They allow custom skins, and first thing people did were Hitzone skins showing you (with color codes) the kill spots on every tanks. You can bet this will happen in MWO too if they allow it. I say no. No custom skin, but a single custom decal for player clans only, that I would agree (i.e. the decal would show up the same for all members of the clan).

Both of these issues could be solved by limiting the options slightly - Providing a set (but hopefully large) number of patterns and decals, then letting you freely customize the colors of those patterns and (some) decals with a color wheel or something - no hitzone markings and no phallic imagery, but a pretty much infinite number of combinations

#14 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

View Postirishwarrior, on 03 November 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

Both of these issues could be solved by limiting the options slightly - Providing a set (but hopefully large) number of patterns and decals, then letting you freely customize the colors of those patterns and (some) decals with a color wheel or something - no hitzone markings and no phallic imagery, but a pretty much infinite number of combinations

That's more like it. But I'd still be more favorable to Merc Corp-wide customization, instead of individual one. For example, a whole Merc Corp could have their Mechs all black with red stripes and a certain decal. That way, they can easily be recognized in battle.

#15 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

If somebody wants to paint a huge target on their mech and give a spot for somebody to shoot at, I say let 'em. When the mech goes esplody, that's their problem.

#16 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

View PostElucid Ward, on 02 November 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

****, now I want to play clan.

Also the only kill spots on a 'meh are rear armor and head. There is little point to highlighting them with a skin. I doubt they will let you re-skin enemy units. They also mention in the FAQ that customization of your 'mech's look and even the cockpit are being worked on, so you will surely be able to edit paint, add logos and such.

Edited by Souske Sagara, 03 November 2011 - 07:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users