37 replies to this topic

#1 Tiger88

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi all. I can remember paying to play MechWarrior on GEnie online service at $6.00 USD per hour back in 1993. Played or payed until sometime in 1995 or so. Solaris, I believe, was going to AOL. So switched to AirWarrior. Used same handle as here and played for Steiner and then a merc. company "The Knights of the Black Pearl". We were small especially compared to Minnesota Tribe mercs.
That is about all I can remember.
And Yes I am old as the hills and twice as dusty :)
Still a Steiner at heart!
Anyone else from the early time?

#2 Wild Hog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Welcome back old timer. I didn't play Genie but there are many still around that did. PM me for details on how and where to hook up with the same ol Steiners.

#3 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Why don't we see more of our old-timers, I wonder? Not that I know for certain how much of the skill form the old games will carry over to MW:O, mid, BUit I'd still love to hear some of your stories.

((Started with Battletech arounf 1991 or so, but didn't get serious (or start playing MW3) until 2000 or so.))

#4 Wild Hog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

There are several threads with stories, but it's a lot to go through. I've been playing since 1999 when I found MPBT:Solaris, played MPBT:3025, which in reality was just a leaked link to the beta of an un-finished game, but had already been playing MW4:Vengeance since the lights went out at gamestorm. I know a lot of the "old timers" from before then, and they are still lurking in the shadows, we hear from some occasionally, and many will come out when something comes along to attract them back. I've been waiting also, but have remained active in various leagues, although these last 2 years or so not so much. I'm just as eager now as I was in anticipation of 3025.....hope we get something worth this wait!

#5 Blacke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 238 posts
  • Location3rd Takata Lancers

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

I forgot abut the Minesota Tribe until I read this post. Ahh memories.

#6 Helcarexe

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

My son told me about the online gaming for Mechwarrior is coming back, he heard of all the stories about our time playing on the online GEnie network. I was a company commander of the Minnesota Tribe before heading over to House Steiner 26th Lyran Guards in the last part before the system dropped off the grid.

Looking forward to some action again.

Colonel 2017 LTC Helcarexe*26LG*CO Chief of Ops 26th Lyran Guards
Reporting for duty waiting to cross the LD to continue mission

#7 Kinnison

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I started playing tabletop Battletech at GenCon around 1990. I was one of the first members on GENIE back in 1991 when Multiplayer Battletech started. I had been command of many units in Steiner over the years. But my favorite was being a member of The Wild Geese with Theo, Fisher and others. I followed MPBT to AOL, Gamestorm and then finally the Beta. I've been itching to play some online Battletech for quite some time.

Kinnison
The Wild Geese

#8 Blam0

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hiya Tiger88!

I remember we played a bit a long time ago (I was Agamemnon back then)! It was a great time. I played in a number of Steiner Units, in the GEnie days, and ran with the then ubiquitous M+Ms! I miss that quite a lot, and am looking forward to this game!

Blam0
(was Agamemnon)

View PostTiger88, on 11 March 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Hi all. I can remember paying to play MechWarrior on GEnie online service at $6.00 USD per hour back in 1993. Played or payed until sometime in 1995 or so. Solaris, I believe, was going to AOL. So switched to AirWarrior. Used same handle as here and played for Steiner and then a merc. company "The Knights of the Black Pearl". We were small especially compared to Minnesota Tribe mercs.
And Yes I am old as the hills and twice as dusty :angry:

#9 Lighthorse 32

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

"Colonel 2017 LTC Helcarexe*26LG*CO Chief of Ops 26th Lyran Guards
Reporting for duty waiting to cross the LD to continue mission"

Hmm, sounds like an old Army guy to me...he speaks some lingo me thinks.

#10 Aramis Ward

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

I played on GEnie also. I fought for the kell hounds. My handle is still the same. I guess I started around 1992 1993.

#11 Morashtak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Am an old timer but used an Amiga back in the day and was on CompuServe as well. Oh well. Nice to make everyone's acquaintance.

Just remember the OATS'* motto - Old Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Skill.

* - Old Age and Treachery Squad

#12 Amergin

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

Hey Kinnison!

I started EGA in '93 with Steiner. I used the handle Grendel in those days.
I remember hanging out with Schwartz and Handlebar at Gen Con a few times.
Oh the tales I could tell! <EG>

#13 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

View PostAmergin, on 22 May 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

Hey Kinnison!

I started EGA in '93 with Steiner. I used the handle Grendel in those days.
I remember hanging out with Schwartz and Handlebar at Gen Con a few times.
Oh the tales I could tell! <EG>

You and I after being out drinking ,trying to tell our DD, Soulscream, where our hotel was.
GenCon '94. Good times.

Cheers.

#14 habu42

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationGUAM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Hey Tiger88!! Was there also. GOOD to see MW Comming BACK ;)

#15 Johan Karl Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 174 posts
  • LocationSkye Federation - Summer

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

It's good to see so many of the greybeards!

I have been reading BT since the books were released and have been a Steiner since. I have been playing the PC games since inception. For a short time I was living in Denver where I had regular access to Dave and Busters Tesla Pods. Now there was some hairy, sweaty palms, slap you in the face, knock you on your butt Solaris type combat!

I have, of course, played Mechcommander 1/2 and found the grand tactical arena of BT to be allot of fun. The last thing I really enjoyed was the planning and camaraderie of the run-up to Multi-player Battletech 3025.

I have to apologize here and now.

During 3025 I had an affair with the Kurita..

I SWEAR it meant nothing! But if you could rub your hands on a Dragon and then have delirious tremors about the coming of the No-dachi...I...well...you know, I was weak.....sigh.

But I have returned where I belong: STEINER! Let's hope the great drought is over!

#16 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostHelmer, on 26 May 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

You and I after being out drinking ,trying to tell our DD, Soulscream, where our hotel was.
GenCon '94. Good times.

Cheers.

Howdy Helmer,

Was wondering about some of those oldies, been a long while since I have seen any running around but would love to hear whatever became of them.

Miss those supply maps.

BTW it is great to see old names.

Ito Ogami former Captain General of Marik.

#17 BadMoonRicin

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTomah, WI

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostTiger88, on 11 March 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

And Yes I am old as the hills and twice as dusty Posted Image

Wow, I remember those days also! The days of "dial up" and Battletech on the board. Was it THAT long ago? oye!

#18 Bachman

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Nice to see I'm not the only old timer coming out of the weeds to play this. I started with battledroids before it became battletech in the 80's did the weekly battletech throwdowns with Dave Lowe and went on to compete at the cons and gunslinger tourneys. When the dark age came I abandoned battletech and started working with Reaper to help test and develop CAV, going to cons and taking up painting more seriously. After burning out on that I've been floating along with the computer titles and doing Flames of War when I have time. Living in Cincinnati has a side benefit to a Battletech nerd.. Iron Wind Metals in a 10 minute ride. ( If you can make it there I highly suggest it, Mike Noe is a great dude. ) And I've begun to rebuild my mech collection.

I personally cannot wait for this title to land, I hope it's as interesting as it looks and isnt ruined by the very vocal minority that whine on forums.

Bachman

#19 Braedin

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

the old timers forum :)

#20 Yippee38

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

I went by the handle Shapeshifter in MPBT and was a member of the Grave Walkers. Played a bit in Genie, then AOHell, Gamestorm and finally in 3025. That was the game that hooked me on multiplayer gaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users