Old MechWarrior from GEnie time

37 replies to this topic

#21 Theo WG

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationRome, GA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Theo checking in. I was also one of the Wild Geese. Good to hear so many familiar names.

Looking forward to slagging some mechs.

#22 Nikken

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

I still have about 4 gamestorm shirts and a shrink wrapped gamestorm CD LOL....heck my foot rest is an old Solaris computer rig I ran LOL...it has seen better days.

Lots of stories for certain, ask Rab about his $600/month bill from Genie LOL....let's see this one time in Katrina Rab took a PPC and stuck it.....Ah....some other time for old stories! Hehe

Nikken <HoS>
aka - Plz <HoS>

#23 Tiger88

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Yes the GEnie bills were high, especially the first one !!! After that it was limited playing time or go broke fast.

Things I can recall;
Schwartz was leading Steiner, then Maui or vice-versa. Also remember a MT'er named "DuckButter" , actually met him in RL in Portland , Or.

First Battletech game I can remember was in 1985 and it was design a 60 ton mech and go for it.

Haven't been active here since RL has been very hectic for me.

Reading lots now to catch up on what is happening.

Some of the other names that have posted seem familiar. But with so much of my grey matter turning into dark matter it is difficult to be sure ;)

#24 Mega Deth

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Wow Looks like i'm going to fit in just fine here I played MPBT on aol for years intill it became a pay to play thing than when GameStrom picked it up i played there.. Looking forward to playing agian

MD

#25 BoydofZINJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

When the internet was not unlimited and 8 colors was... "revolutionary"... the good 'ole days.

#26 Company Man

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Great to see people from the old days. Although I don't even remember my own handle, much less yours. I started with CityTech for table top in 1986 and played for a while on and off again at the West Coast gaming conventions. My own work in the game industry gobbled up my spare time for the most part, but I did play for several years in Air Warrior with every available moment. I actually can't remember much except a glow of 'fun' - except for my $1568.00 bill to General Electric at one time...

#27 Ricardo

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSpinward Marches

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

AOL'er here... Went by the name of Hohiro. I only piloted Spider variants back then. I'm stuck in a Jenner for now, though. I think my first bill was 900$ or so? Christ.

#28 Anti-Social

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

~S~

yes the Aol and Gamestorm days,,, loved it i use to go by Armageddon, and then AntiKrist, then went just to Anti. its been great seeing so many of us old timers coming out of the wood work sure dose bring back great memories of a great game with the best community of games ever. while this new game has a lot of miles to go in the development, I have not been this happy and excited about a game since 3025 bata. See you all on the Drop!
Anti<HoS>

#29 Joe Mugg

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Ga.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Me! I used to play on Genie, I was in the minnesota tribe, screen name "Gunner". Is MT active here?
P.s. I drove A Battlemaster in those old days.

#30 Virgil1

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hello to all the GEnie players. first bill was $600 toned it way down after that.

Virgil von Hesse
Capellan Confederation Armed Forces

I do admit to picking on Maui a bit as Rush Liaobaugh B)

#31 Slider Steel

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Heya Tiger88, Good to know your here. I have a few brain cells left from the Genie days :) I definately remember the "Knights of the Black Pearl", you, Schwartz and Maui :P I don't think we ever met though. Good days, good people, and good fun.

I'm hoping to just have a little fun here, my son is playing now also. Guess I'm passing on the addiction.

Edited by Slider Steel, 10 September 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#32 EgoBruiser

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Genie.

Gotta love it. Playing AW and Gemstone at $2000/month. I laugh all the time when I think about people complaining over $15.00 a month..hehe

Any of you guys play Btech with KneeCapper, aka Ron? Good friend and teamie of mine for a long time, but I remember he played the S**T outa that game back then.

Edited by EgoBruiser, 11 September 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#33 Slider Steel

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

I never could afford over $2000 a month..lol. Most definately spent a lot of time with KneeCapper organizing stuff in Solaris days. A couple years after he left Btech I got the opportunity to stop by and visit with him at his home. It was a privilage to work with him on that project and play Btech with him.

Edited by Slider Steel, 11 September 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#34 EgoBruiser

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostSlider Steel, on 11 September 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

I never could afford over $2000 a month..lol. Most definately spent a lot of time with KneeCapper organizing stuff in Solaris days. A couple years after he left Btech I got the opportunity to stop by and visit with him at his home. It was a privilage to work with him on that project and play Btech with him.

Yea, fantastic guy and a real friend who I gamed with for 20 years. Glad to see some people remember him because he was a fixture at all the early to mid 90's Gencon events. Slider, do you have an e-mail? Or a comm server? Like to get some info from you.

Edited by EgoBruiser, 12 September 2012 - 06:02 AM.

#35 Killer Ratt

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSome ruddy hanger bay awaiting a mech.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

Guess I'll throw my hat in the ring.
Don't know nuffen bout no GENie play, but know the time frame.
Started with NetMech, using KALI as front end/connector for a few leagues.
Too long ago to remember league names.
Remember piloting something named or nicked named Storm Crow. Still have
Stick & Pedals plus an original MW on 5.25 disks.
Ran with Pilots Killdare, SuperBK, RedSun, Flipper, DragonTeeth. Hell, if I look deep in old
files on PC at home, I can pull-up entire rosters from those days.
Looking forward to see how this pans out.

Edited by Killer Ratt, 14 September 2012 - 04:44 AM.

#36 Journeyman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

View PostSlider Steel, on 11 September 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

~Salute~ Slider. I don't know that you and I have ever met but I joined up in Solaris under Boris so I knew enough about our command structure to know who was who. Good times were certainly had and I think back often on those days and the camaraderie lives on with the pilots I drop with today. It is good to see you've made your way here.

#37 Luceran

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

<S>

Gen. Macarus CO Trellshire hailing from the <1LR>.

Go Boomers...

Been a long time LCAF. Glad to be home.

Luc...

P.S. Been a long time since I heard KC mentioned. Now if we can dig up Marl and Dietrich we'll be in business. That Rab mentioned...that Rabideau?

Edited by Luceran, 19 September 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#38 Capfeister

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

Oh wow, this is all bringing back so many memories. Never played on GEnie (was addicted to playing Red Dragon and Usurper on BBS's) but played the tabletop game, the CRPGs and Mechwarrior.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users