Mechs should lean when they run

6 replies to this topic

#1 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Now I will preface this with the knowledge that the movement animations is still to be tweaked and refined, however I just wanted to say that MW4 wasn't too bad with the Mech movements - when, especially light, Mechs ran and turned corners, they had a tendency to lean into the corner, as you would expect from anyone sprinting and turning sharply.

The Jenner from the MWO gameplay video sometimes appears to lean into the corners and sometimes not, but I thought I would bring it up as a suggestion as I believe it would make the cornering animations a lot more believable.

#2 TimberJon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I agree for the game. But then we can easily pump our leg muscles and create forward motion without needing to lean forward. The 'Mech is not as graceful but the legs work similarly and the Gyro makes up a bit for our fine-tuned sense of balance.

Maybe the lean-in should occur after your 'Mech has reached half its top speed or some other number (30%?). Because at a slow pace you don't need to lean in at all. Also if you leaned forward at slow speed it would make sense to also lean back when walking backwards and if you are backing away from an enemy, his attacks could more easily put your 'Mech off balance.

Quiaff?

Edited by TimberJon, 12 March 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#3 Shai tan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Whatever the case, the lean would look badazz!!!!! And I am for anything that brings teh badazz!

#4 Mindlink

• PipPip
  • The Stalker
  • The Stalker
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNorthern Connecticut

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I've always thought that since mechs have a gyro powerful enough to keep them upright and balanced, it's probably due to the gyro that they don't lean. Smaller mechs that move much, much, faster probably have to compensate for that by leaning into turns. Large mechs wouldn't really experience too many Gs at the rate they move and turn (with exceptions).

Just my two cents.

#5 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

The purpose of leaning isn't to do with gyro effectiveness, but to do with increasing the maximum angular velocity when cornering. It is the same principle that you lean on a bike when taking corners or why oval nascar tracks are banked. In fact, if you had a good gyro doing its job leaning should be preferred when cornering.

#6 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

They do in MWO.

#7 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts