Unseen mechs - what would you like to see?

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Unseen - which artwork would you prefer? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

For the unseen mechs, would you rather have them in game using TRO Phoenix artwork, or not at all?

1. Yes, use the TRO Project Phoenix artwork instead of the original artwork. (35 votes [74.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.47%

2. No, if you can't use the classics, why have them at all? (12 votes [25.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kai Lae

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Simple question - the unseen mechs are some of the oldest, effective and iconic designs in battletech. However, since the artwork was originally....er..borrowed...from anime sources, the designs can't be shown graphically because of legal disputes/concerns. This eventually caused the release of TRO: Project Phoenix where the artwork for all these mechs was changed.

So my question is: If you could get these mechs in game by using the new artwork, would you want this to happen? I'm quite fond of the original marauder design myself, but my view is that something is better than nothing. What does everyone else think?

#2 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

OMFG.... seriouslly? This thread again?

LEARN TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

There are 78 threads about this made since Nov last year. There are more then that if you count posted that talk about the unseen as a side topic.

I've already explained multiple times. ANYTHING FlyingDebris does will be more then enough artistically to keep HG from screaming.

He could clone the other design and just apply his style and it would be a 100% different mech.

Edited by Blackfire1, 30 September 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#3 1ceTr0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationMoving at long last....

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Why is it the Elite and Legendry peeps are the biggest azzhats on the forum?

#4 Aquavolt

• PipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Because we're tired of people not using search functions and spamming the forums with questions that have already been answered multiple times.

#5 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Post1ceTr0n, on 30 September 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Why is it the Elite and Legendry peeps are the biggest azzhats on the forum?

Why are you trying to get around the swear filter?

View PostKai Lae, on 30 September 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

So my question is: If you could get these mechs in game by using the new artwork, would you want this to happen? I'm quite fond of the original marauder design myself, but my view is that something is better than nothing. What does everyone else think?

Based of the Project Phoenix artwork is the only way we'll see them in game as those are the only images of those specific mechs that are legal to use.

#6 Blackfire1

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Negative.

As I said. Art is wonderful. Because HG has rights ONLY to THOSE SPECIFIC ART Assets.

What does this mean?
Basically anyone can remake those mech builds and they be new legit copies.

Because Flying Debris art style is different even by Battletech terms. Anything he makes even if its along the same lines of the original unseen design. Will be 100% legally ok.

People simply don't know about art nor how its effected by law. You can trademark a design. But only that design You can't trademark ideas of the design. For example. If you were to take the origonal, change the proportions and recolor it. It would be different enough to pass legal dispute. This is just an example.

We CAN use the unseen originals. We just have to alter them (change of style) different then the 1970's art direction.

You can have everything the originals have all in the same spot. But if your art style is different, you fine.

It called Artistic Licence.

Edited by Blackfire1, 30 September 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#7 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Oh, i know the difference very well. Legally in fact, there only has to be a 25% difference in the art for it to be "new" or "different enough". But HG still likes to sue, so whats better for us and PGI? Lawsuit or art based off something that cant be claimed as some elses?

#8 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Yes, but completely rework the chassis art to be in line with MWO quality.

#9 Micheal Hessek

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 69 posts
  • LocationIn a Dropship ... Preparing for a Hot Drop.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

I would definately like to see an Orion Mech in game. Right weight and right armor. Great mix of weapons. and great heat curve.

#10 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

While this topic has been beaten to death I came across this:

http://www.solaris7....ch_HTML&ID=1158

This shows all of the mechs in their redesigned format. These are generally amazing and can be improved upon even further by MechWarrior Onlines artistic style. Overall I think these could easily work and if they are now approved for play there shouldn't be any reason to NOT add them later on at some point.

However I believe the Devs have decided on their mech list as is and will add to it in the order they choose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users