Tactics 101

Guide

101 replies to this topic

#21 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationUnited States, D.C. (no it's technically not part of any state)

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

I've read through that thread, and unfortunately I can't help but keep thinking that I'd prefer -this- thread (my thread) to take a person from going "What the heck is this here 'mech' thingy?" and turn them into someone who, after reading the controls, and the thread, can at least perform... I don't really care if they've played tabletop (I personally tried it once, though admittedly I collected one of each figurine, and like WH40K I just never could do it, whereas I played Mechwarrior for days on end since it was still Battletech on the Sega Genesis.) or if they have any experience at all... if they have experience, then they aren't newbies they just need to learn the controls... and I'm not getting on TS to teach them how -I- play, and wont link them to someone who will do the same, I would prefer they all learn how to play -their own- way. It was after I read that thread that I made this guide.

This is not to say that his guide doesn't have a ton of useful information.*

Edited by Discordantone, 06 October 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#22 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

*Cough Cough* by the way, the names I have underlined in the credits I'm grabbing both 20$ UPCs :). 'Tons of Contribution = work' and I have the money so hey *shrug* Post me a chapter, or a good chunk of one, and I'll grab you one too (up to 300 bucks there's a limit here.)

#23 Sicarus

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hunchback: the Founders, 4G, and 4H

As you may have noticed with your new Hunchback, you have three things: Armor, moderate agility, and a Giant Cannon on your shoulder (guess why most people pilot one?). As a medium mech, and specifically a Hunchback, your job is as a bodyguard and roving brawler. One very basic thing to note is to put your shoulder cannon on one weapon group, and keep your lasers on a second. Never fire them at the same time: it wastes ammo and heat.

What does flying a Hunchback mean right off the bat for you as a pilot? It means you should pick a friendly Atlas or a Catapult at the beginning of a match and plan to stay with them the entire time. This gives you two immediate benefits: one, it gives you a distraction for your enemies; two, it gives you extra firepower and armor in a platform that, if it explodes, isn't you. You're someone that the other pilot can rely on, even when they make a stupid decision.

To start with, an easy tactic is to follow behind your chosen wingman (or wingwoman) about 50-100 meters (you can judge distance by briefly moving your targeting cursor over their mech). From here, with your AC20/AC10, you can start picking at any enemy mech that decides it wants to go after your friend's squishy rear armor. Likely, you'll be shooting at light mechs and medium mechs with enough speed to flank your heavier wingmate.

The most important thing to be working on once you're in this situation is aim and ammo conservation. You may notice the first few times you engage an enemy in your sights is that you miss. That's normal, and it's because your AC rounds have travel time to target (just like any good physics-based projectile weapon). The downside is that with the AC20 in particular, and the AC10 in some situations, you have very limited ammo. Don't worry about it for right now, but watch where your rounds are landing, how much damage they do to enemy armor when they hit (how much does their armor color change on their little paper doll in the upper right?), and what kind of trouble you have with the weapon.

If you run out of ammo early, don't worry: you have medium lasers on your arms for a reason.

Once you get the hang of hitting where you're aiming (I suggest learning to hit their center torso, its a good practice target and once you can consistently hit it, you can start directing your fire elsewhere), you can start paying attention to where your wingmate has already started damaging the enemy (remember him/her?). Your AC20 is a giant battering-ram of a weapon, and once you can place it on already damaged vitals of the enemy mech, your enemy will start wishing they hadn't picked a fight with you.

As soon as you're getting the hang of hitting enemies where it hurts, you can start paying attention to where you are on the battlefield.

Watch where your chosen wingmate is moving. Are there a lot of enemies in that direction? Is your team close by and interested in chasing the same target? Are the enemy mechs larger than you are, or better shots? While you are the person that your wingmate can rely on, occasionally they do something stupid and wander into the entire enemy team by themselves. If you see that start to happen (and you don't have backup from your team), it's prudent to break off and pick a new wingmate.

Until you get a feel for when your about to die (it's a nice, sinking feeling in your gut), don't leave your wingmate.

The experience is far more valuable than the repair bills. Worse case, you get to let your team know where the enemy is and what they're flying through team chat.

While you're following your new friend (it might help to type in team chat that you'll be on their wing), start watching how they're moving and where they're headed. Are they turning their torso back and forth to check lots of different firing lanes? Are they taking potshots from a distance with a few heavy weapons? Are they constantly moving towards whichever target has been highlighted recently?

Your goal with watching for these signs will be to see what your friend needs you to shoot at, and which enemies are going to give him the most trouble. You then get to take over those roles for them. If they aren't watching the open lanes, keep checking your surroundings for enemies to shoot. If they're firing long range weapons, be ready to assist when a close range mech rolls up and starts shooting at the two of you. If they seem a bit scatterbrained, watch for flankers and enemy opportunists and give your wingmate a real target to shoot at.

Once you can read the battlefield, see where the enemy is going to be, and can hit their weakpoints, your Hunchback becomes a solo boat of destruction and a vital part of any organized team.

edit: too long?

Edited by Sicarus, 06 October 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#24 acidphoenix

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostDiscordantone, on 05 October 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Sorry Acid, but honestly I'm really not going to go through and edit all of that, as basically I already outlined most of it, and it appears that you copy/pasted it from elsewhere.

it's ok

View PostDiscordantone, on 05 October 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Sorry Acid, but honestly I'm really not going to go through and edit all of that, as basically I already outlined most of it, and it appears that you copy/pasted it from elsewhere.

lol either that mid weight class description wasnt there when i wrote that or i totally missed it. and yes i did copy and paste that from my note pad. but i did write it if thats what your insinuating. also i would be more then happy to edit it but there appears to be no edit button. :)

#25 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Lol Edit doesn't show up until you highlight near where it says Multi-Quote. Then it appears off to the left. I'd love to replace it with my Mid-Weight run-down, as I don't play mid-weight mechs, but the page breaks and other HTML doesn't fit in to the scheme of things.

Also, no, it's not too long Sicarus, I figure if people want to learn, they can spend the time to read, or they can go jump on a teamspeak server and let someone tell them how they want them to play.

#26 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Quick Tips for Centurion models CN9-A, CN9-AL, and likely CN9-D when it comes out:
L-Ctrl (by default) for free look mode is one of your best friends: on these models of the Centurion the left arm exist for no other reason then to take hits (it even looks like a shield). Sweep the small circular aim reticle in free look mode to as far to the left as you can (well you still need to aim a little with it) and more rely on maneuvering to aim (know your surroundings so you don't bump into a hills or a buildings, and try not to be in a situation were there are enemies not on your left). This technique allows you to bring the fire power in the right arm (and left torso if you have Streak SRMs) to bear while considerably reducing the threat to the right arm (and torso and head); the enemy can still hit those sections but if you are on the move it makes it much more difficult and hopefully the left arm will take the brunt of the damage. If the CN9-A, CN9-AL, and CN9-D ever lose a section or multiple sections it should always be the left arm first if you're doing it right.

Edited by Anyone00, 07 October 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#27 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Added to the Tips area, unless you wish to flesh it out to a full Centurion Rundown.

#28 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

I wish that it would stop adding extra spaces in my post every day... I think I may have to crack it open with the advanced editor and start doing some more complex changing.

#29 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostDiscordantone, on 07 October 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Added to the Tips area, unless you wish to flesh it out to a full Centurion Rundown.

Someone else has:
http://mwomercs.com/...nd-shoot-style/

#30 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

I sort of meant a slimmed down version for here ;) Not someone else's work.

#31 Blood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Light Combat Tactics – Basics
Fighting as a light mech pilot is straight forward. You are moving non-stop and firing at vulnerable spots. As a light mech you are not stopping to find a nice spot to rain some LRM down on enemy or fire off rounds of gauss rifles at an enemy from distance. If you do and have a light mech setup that way… In my opinion and I don’t think many will disagree that you are setting yourself up to fail hard as light pilot in current form of MWO because it will contribute a lot to your team loosing. Please see light mech guide I wrote. Aside from this personal perspective, here’s the basic combat tactics as light pilot.

Don’t stop running in combat
  • You stop in combat, you will get shot to pieces. Only stop if you are extremely confident you aren’t going to get shot in the ***.
Circling
  • This is the most basic, commonly used, and your bread & butter as light mech pilot. Concept is simple. You leverage your speed (maximum and turning), twist torso, and small size to run in circle around your opponent while firing your weapons at vulnerable spots. This tactic is basically used by everyone but the slowest of mechs but unlike others you have no choice but to circle because you have minimum armor.
  • Few tips…
  • Faster you run, smaller the circle, tighter the turns, and closer you are to enemy mech, less chance you give the enemy pilot to fire back.

• Know when to circle. If you are in middle of brawl in small space or have lot of obstacles. Do not circle, you will collide with another mech or run into a wall and will get yourself killed. If there are lot of obstacles/mechs around, fire your weapons, use those mechs/obstacles as coverage while you run away and come back at an different angle to poke them. Think of it as drive by shooting. You drive by shoot, turn around somewhere and drive by again and shoot.

• Be careful on how close you get to enemy mech and of your surroundings. If you are so focused on turning and get tunnel visioned…you may run into a friendly mech, a wall of somesort (building, hill, cliff, etc.), or simple get too close and trip over the toe of the Atlas you are circling. This will spell death for you.

• Use your circle smartly. You don’t always have to ‘circle’ directly around enemy mech. You can widen your circle to including a small hill to run around as partial cover while you run circles and poke things or use the hill to disappear and disengage safely.

• Don’t get so attached to circling and trying to get a kill that you forget your duties as Scout and Quick Reaction Force.

• If your opponent is much faster than you, don’t try to out circle them. You’ll instead need to play like an Atlas pilot where you pivot side to side to shoot as faster mech circles.

Jump Over
  • This applies to lights with jump jet capability.
  • This tactic is where you use your jump jets for additional mobility to better position yourself to deliver some pain or escape. There’s couple ways you can do that.
    • Jumping directly over the enemy mech.
    • Jumping to a side to better utilize your surroundings.
  • Direct Jump Over
    • This is when you are running toward someone and you jump directly over them. For example, let’s say you are in middle of a city and there is an Atlas in front of you with its back turned in a corridor between two tall buildings. You go hurray, party time and start dashing to the Atlas to core its rear with your small lasers. As you approach, Atlas realized your presence and started turning around to face you. Oh crap, you realize you committed too deeply and there is no space for you to turn left or right to get away. Instead of stopping and reversing, or trying to do awkward 180 turn and run your butt out of the corridor. You keep running, firing your weapons…then you jump over the Atlas. Just for making you say oh crap and jump, you poke the Atlas on the head as you are leaping over and then again after you land.
  • Side Jump
    • This is when you are running toward someone and instead of jumping directly over them. You change your running direction to left or right and jump onto or over an obstacle.
    • Same scenario above with Atlas. Instead of jumping directly over the Atlas, you jump at an angle to a side so you jumped over the building on your left or right.
  • Be careful when you do try jump maneuvers. If you misjudge your distance and height of the mech as you try to directly jump over. You can touch the top of the mech you intend to jump over and fall. More pathetically, be short of jump height and slide down the side of a building or jump set into cheest of Atlas. You could also accidnelty perform death from above http://www.sarna.net...eath_from_Above as well. Because collision damage is minimal at this time, it really doesn’t do anything except mech(s) falling on their faces. However it is quite hilarious though when you pull this off. I’ve done this only once and it was on a complete accident. It wasn't even a jump either. I ran off a cliff on a Commando and a Centurion happened to be standing beneath it.
Collision/Tackle
  • This is intentionally colliding with a mech to fall to the ground. As annoying it is to collide and fall, it is a very valid tactic and there’s number of reasons why you would use this tactic. Here’s two cases.
  • Delaying tactic. Are your buddies coming to help you? Did your weapons get blown off and there is a hunch with XL engine chasing you? Instead of fighting it out, you have an option to intentionally collide with their mech over and over to buy time.

• Colliding with a high value target or enemy scouts. Is there a Jenner coming to scout and you have a dual gauss Catapult buddy looking to rape someone? Collide with that Jenner and if your friend is paying attention, he will surely plug couple rounds into that Jenner.
Please note, while any mech can collide with any mech but the size and speed makes how likely it is. While Atlas will not fall when colliding except to the big mechs running into them...Atlas also has no speed to catch a Jenner that’s running around. Jenner at the same time may have the speed to catch and colliding into just about anyone except fastest of the lights…don’t try tackling Atlas because Atlas will thank you graciously as they Alpha strike your face and you trip over Atlas' big toe.

Combat Tactics – Advanced
Even though I’m contributing and writing these articles. I’m still a rookie, maybe seasoned rookie but still a rookie nonetheless and not a very good pilot. However I do like to try stuff out even if it's stupid and I consider myself little crafty. Because of that, here are 3 tricks I figured out and employ time to time when situation arises to call for it. These are what I consider to be advanced tricks and couple of them low success rate tactics . Use your judgment wisely because these are what I consider pretty risky and that’s why it takes an advanced player, lucky noob (like me), or enemies not paying attention to pull this off correctly.

Kamikaze Attack
  • This is tactic available only in extremely situational and because of that I consider this a very low success rate tactic as well as partly suicidal in desperate situation. This involves colliding with your enemy mech and falling to ground with them as rain of LRMs (doesn’t matter which teams) is about to drop. What should result is that the mech you tackled along with yourself will receive damage (friendly fire or not) from the rain of LRMs that just dropped on you. You hope that you can survive that while your enemy cannot and if they can, that they are wounded enough you can finish them off quickly.
  • One time I was able to make this work with great success was when I found myself in complete open by myself (I overcommitted chasing Dual Gauss Catapult as fast Hunchback) near enemy’s firing line. I saw enemy support firing off massive amount of LRMs at me and my team fired off LRMs as well. As the rain of LRMs approached, I collided with enemy dual guass cat. We both fell and because we were ‘teleporting’ around and hugging on the ground. Both of us received massive amount of damage from both friendly and enemy missiles. When we got up, all it took was brief hit from my 2 medium lasers to make the Dual Gauss Cat explode. While I managed to be the winner of this encounter, I died when a moment later when enemy Jenner passing by poked me with small laser.
Avoiding LRM by powering down
  • LRMs when locked and fired will continue to seek you as long as enemy has their target pointer over you and has some visibility (directly themselves or R of friendly). However if you die or shut down while LRMs in flight, those LRM will seek the last spot enemy mech had lock onto. Also you cannot R a shut down mech. So the way to avoid LRM is by shutting down your mech. LRMs will lose track and their friendly cannot R you.
  • As noted, this is risky because you have no way to avoid anything while shut down. The ideal situations is to use this tactic would be if you are not near any enemy mech and there is obstacle you can hide behind. You’d want to run behind the obstacle so enemy can’t see you in radar and then shut down. LRMs should lose track in flight and seek the last spot it had lock to which is hopefully where you didn’t shut down at. If it is then you’d hope that the obstacle would block some of that barrage.
  • You will see this often when enemy mech is trying to snipe from distance and the sniper is around lot of obstacles. Way to counter this is that if enemy mech didn’t wait to power up before LRM hit the ground, you could quickly R again and if there is time…the LRMs may regain their lock and re-seek.
  • Please note because we are still in beta, these mechanics may change in the future and may also be more effective or less when ECM/BAP is added.
Cross-fire damage
  • This is positioning yourself between two or more groups enemies (preferably some distance away) so that chance for friendly cross fire goes up as you weave around. This is risky since you will probably find yourself eating some hits and lights can’t take a hit. Also only undisciplined enemies will fire without regard for friendly fire when you position yourself in this manner. Most of time I’ve done this, I did it as Hunchback and I have my armor setup 50/50 front/back.
  • Basically it’d look something like below.
    • X is enemies
    • Y is you
    • Z is friendy.
  • Let’s say you are poking enemy Awesome in the back while it’s facing off against a friendly Atlas and you know Awesome has friends some distance away that can take potshots at you as they close the gap. You want to get close to the Awesome as possible and as you move side to side, you are setting up for cross fire damage and hope that Awesome’s friends are stupid enough to barrage you with their beam/ballistic weapons.
X

X YXZ

X

Edited by Blood78, 07 October 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#32 Nicholai Matowski

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

The Atlas AS7-RS

Class: Your role in an Atlas is that of Assault. You are the front line, meant to deal out huge amounts of damage. Due your tonnage and amount of armor, you are also the tank of the group.

Strength: You have a massive amount of firepower at your disposal that you can wield. Use this to your advantage. Most of your weapons are medium range, and thus, offers you versatility where others lack.

Weakness: Carrying around this much armor and weapons leaves you vulnerable to smaller, lighter Mechs. While you're front is heavily armored, your back is not. Also, a group of smaller mechs can be your downfall, as they circle you and peel your armor away.

Psychological Profile: Patient Opportunist - You have to be level headed and calm, waiting for the right opportunity to unleash an alpha strike upon your foe. Do not give chase, as you will be disadvantaged against all save for the heaviest mechs. Realize that you are the anchor of your squadron, and you have to be as steadfast as the vehicle you pilot.

Considerations
Grouping: Your Alpha Strike is powerful. In the right situation, it can be your savior, or the event that turns a battle. However, outside of these moments, it should not be used in a reckless manner. It can lead to you overheating, and becoming a statue that will eventually get melted down to a slag heap.

Range: By default, your Atlas comes with one long range weapon, and one short range weapon. Furthermore, you have three medium range weapons. Following the doctrine of moderation, your first group would be your SRMs, your second group your Large Lasers and Autocannon, your third your LRM's

The reason for this is that your First and second group are immediately accessible, and your medium and short range weapons are guaranteed a need of more immediate use. As your target gets further away, you can ready your LRM's, while still maintaining your fire on your target.

This setup bridges your weakness to your strength, allowing you to, as the need arises, switch between your ranged weapons efficiently.

Best Pairing
Scout/Light - Scout Mechs are considered by the uninitiated as an easy kill due to their lack of armor, and a good Scout will always be able to engage an enemy on the mental level, forcing their opponent into tunnel vision. This works to your advantage, as through cooperation, the enemy can be drawn into your Alpha.

Favored Tactic
Bait and Switch: A Scout or Light Mech goes out and draws an opponent toward you. You are waiting for him to appear, either hidden in trees, or behind a building, taking advantage of the landscape. You may even have your engine powered down so as not to create a heat signature.

Once your partner and the enemy passes, you power up, step out, and tear your enemy's back armor apart. This requires nerves of steel, as well as good piloting on the part of your partner.

Tactical Awareness
The Killing Field: You are lured out into an open area, wherein several mechs are arranged to destroy you in their crossfire.

Harried by Wolves: You are descended upon by several scout/light mechs. They lock you and circle you, tearing your armor while calling in remote fire.

#33 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Added, Nicholai.

#34 Fish Heads

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

This guide is fantastic, this is exactley what i have been looking for, and as a new player this guide (to me at least) has been the most helpful on the forum.

#35 Nicholai Matowski

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Awesome AWS-8T

Class: Your role in an Awesome is that of an assault mech. As with most Assault Mechs, your role within a squad is to act as it's anchor.

Strength: While you can't take as large of a punch as an Atlas, you can deal out far more damage, and in a more precise manner. You are also more versatile than an Atlas, being able to serve as a makeshift long range missile platform without removing you too far from the fight.

Weakness: Though you are an Assault Mech, you are at the low end of the scale. While this means you can move a bit faster, you still have the maneuverability of a brick -- without the protection that the heavier Assaults afford.

Psychological Profile: As with the Atlas, your job is to be an anchor, sitting and waiting, even acting as a shield if need be for the smaller mechs within your squad. You should have a keen sense of situation awareness, and a fluid state of mind, due to the possibility of your role changing from one moment to the next.

Constiderations

Grouping: As with the Atlas, you want to group Short, Medium, Long and let your weapons do the chasing for you. Your alpha strike should be last, with a heavy reliance on group rotation. Your alpha strike is hell to live through for the target, but can leave you a sitting duck, and a ripe target for even the lightest mechs to pick.

Range: An Awesome is it's most powerful at Medium to Long range. As with the Atlas, you seldom want to give chase, save for in the most dire of circumstances, and in such cases, you would wish to not be the only target. Always have another, lighter mech in support.

Best Pairing
Varies: Based upon the composition of the squad, and surrounding terrain, as well as your enemy, your best pairing will change from fight to fight. They don't call an Awesome by it's name for no reason. If you have a scout in your squad, act as it's back up, raining down your LRM's from across the battle field. If you are acting in the role of a heavy, then pair with a medium as a small assault or defense point. If there is a heavier mech, do not be afraid to a secondary anchor role. There is no room for pride on the battlefield. You may very well help your squad succeed by standing back to back with the Atlas so that no smaller mechs can ravage the two of you.

Tactics
Rain of Fire: At the edge of an open battle field, your back to the wall. You are acting as anchor for supporting fire, keeping an eye on the field before you ready with your lasers, while aiding in the bombardment that a scout is calling on you and your comrades for. You must also be ready to enter the fight at a moment's notice.

Situational Awareness
Beware of the same things that an Atlas must.

#36 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Added again, Nicholai, thanks :) Also, check your inbox.

Edited by Discordantone, 09 October 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#37 Nicholai Matowski

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Raven RVN-2X

Class: The Raven is one of the best light class scout mechs that a pilot can buy. Especially if they are on a budget.

Strength: Speed is the key to you surviving the battlefield pilot. With it, you can do amazing things, such as living for another battle.

Weaknesses: Some would say the lack of jump jets is a weakness. In your case, you didn't want a Jenner anyway, did you?

Psychological Profile: When the other pilots in your squad call you a nutjob or a hyena, they mean it in the nicest way. After all, without you, they would have all of those annoying Jenners and Commandos tearing their hind parts up, nor would they have you to draw in all of those juicy kills. They know that you think two steps ahead of everyone else, and you have nerves of steel. It's jealousy, plain and simple. They know that real men pilot Ravens, and when their prattling gets to be too much, you can turn off your radio and still have the voices in your head to talk to.

Considerations

Grouping: Put your large laser on the first group, and your mediums and srm on group two. That way you don't overheat with your... alpha strike...

Maneuverability: You can turn on a dime in your Raven, and you will need to. You lack the Jumping capability of your cousin, the Jenner. Use your size and speed to your advantage, ducking in and out between buildings and behind rock formations for cover, and if you need to retreat or advance across open terrain, don't be afraid to look the fool zigzagging crazily. It will keep you alive.

Best Pairing

You can pair with any mech, and reap rewards. Pairing with another light mech, you can double team a heavier mech, one of you in front and one behind, or if you are lucky, both of you in his back. If you team with a medium, you can spot for his missile racks. Heavy or above, you can be the bird that picks the fleas off.

Tactics

Crazy Scout: You are out in the field, half a kilometer ahead of your friends, when you run into a pack of larger mechs. Your instincts tell you to turn and bolt, but your training knows better. You are already going full speed, so you lock up on one of them, and slide between their bulky slow frames with little effort. Then, you begin to circle them, plinking them while they laugh. They can't see the grin on your face, but they can envision it when their cockpit klaxon's start sounding as the Rain of Fire comes in.

Death from Above: You are coming back to the squad, when you happen up a hill, and in the ravine below, you see your squad's Catapult being set upon by an enemy Hunchback. You giggle with glee as you shove your throttle forward, and ramp off, right onto the Hunchback's "head".

The Bait: You have gotten the attention of a medium or heavy mech, and you have been trying your hardest to keep him interested in you as a viable kill. You've even let him hit you a few times. Now, he is chasing you down a canyon. This canyon has an outlet, where your powered down squadmate waits in his Atlas.

The Tickbird: You're in a squad full of Jenners, Awesomes, and Atlas'. The jenners can handle scouting and fighting, so you decide to stay behind and guard your buddies from those parasitic scouts from the enemy squad. You needed a reason to earn some C-Bills anyway.

Situational Awareness

Ohaidere!: You're running down the narrow streets of a city on your way to the enemy base to try and scout out some juicy targets. Coming around the corner of a ferrocrete building, you run smack into an enemy scout team at high speed. As you get up, you hear the warning tone that the Jenner just got a lock on you. You're lucky enough to make it around the corner away from him, but the enemy Commando is hot on your tail.

Edited by Nicholai Matowski, 09 October 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#38 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

View PostFish Heads, on 09 October 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

This guide is fantastic, this is exactley what i have been looking for, and as a new player this guide (to me at least) has been the most helpful on the forum.

I'm glad, it should keep growing, by the looks of it, so soon it should be able to encompass everything someone needs to hit the ground running.

#39 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

Great guide. Id also like to add the point of avoiding LRM damage. For lights this us easy... run like hell for cover. but if you are in an Atlas brawling another Atlas in open ground while his teammates are raining hell you, you will not want to turn your back on any of them at 40KPH.

In this situation do the smart thing, get behind the enemy brawler and use him as an LRM shield. By the time the LRMs stop shooting your opponent, quite a bit of his rear armor should have been slagged and a new lock from a different vantage point will take some time.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 10 October 2012 - 04:08 AM.

#40 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

Added under Tips :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users