Guide

101 replies to this topic

#41 Nicholai Matowski

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

Centurion CN9-AL

Class: The Centurion is a very capable medium sized mech. While not a front line mech, it can offer support anywhere on the battlefield without being out of place.

Strength: Your versatility is your strength. Your mech has higher than average speed and armor, and even though it doesn't have a heavy load out geared toward a single purpose, you can be the octagonal peg in either the square or round hole.

Weakness: Your versatility is also your weakness. You are not geared toward any one specific role. You in that hazy middle ground of a mech that wants to be too many things at once. You aren't built toward any one incredible thing.

Psychological Profile: You just have to grind your teeth and deal with it. You are not meant to be a killer, but rather, support those that are. You have to be able to take what you have, and do the best you can with it. If you are resourceful, you can make your mech become a monster on the battlefield.

Considerations

Grouping: You have 5 different weapons at 4 different ranges. The only ones you should really worry about tying together are your medium lasers. The others should go on their own groups. Your medium lasers should be on the second, and your small on the first. I recommend putting your large on 3 and your missiles on 4. Not only does this allow for you to control what you want to shoot, but if you rotate between your mediums and any one other group, it should be hard for you to overheat. Don't even worry about an alpha stike, as it would be a waste.

Range: By default, you can contribute to a death anywhere on the battlefield. Exemplify your support role by not being afraid to use this to your squad's advantage/

Best Pairing

Any/None: As it is, your versatility makes you a unique and dimly shining star on the battlefield. You can fold in with the scouts as a relative heavy, or swim among the bigger mechs adding to their fire. All in all, there is no single one mech type you could pair with to become more effective.

Favored Tactic

Any tactic that applies to any other mech group, you can effectively perform, though to a smaller degree. Just run around the battlefield and shoot things in a controlled chaos sort of way, slipping from one role to another as the situation requires. If all else fails, run into the path of an enemy scout so that it can be stopped and destroyed.

I have personally found the Centurion to be an excellent heavy scout/spotter against the heavier mechs, able to stay out of enemy fire arcs with the small bit of speed I have on them, while able to take a hit or two if they should happen to get the drop on me. Generally, this works best one on one.

I have also found that a Centurion makes a good road block against the smaller lighter mechs. Merely jump in their way, and they careen off of you and hit the ground, making them a target for easy pickings.

Tactical Awareness

Do not try to fight an enemy mech on their own terms.

Edited by Nicholai Matowski, 12 October 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#42 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationUnited States, D.C. (no it's technically not part of any state)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'm not entirely certain that saying "You are a Centurion, Prepare to die for your Emperor" is really how I'd like the rundown for a Centurion, even if I personally don't like them either. :D

"You have a shield arm!"
"Awesome, that Awesome just shot me in the chest, now what?"

XXXX has been killed.

"Man, I should've just taken off the armor on that arm and had some extra tonnage."

My personal belief concerning that particular mech ^ However not exactly inspiring for those who actually do -well- in them, or want to do well.

Then again, I feel quite the same about the Dragon, and many people do very well in those too, so hey. One useless arm does not gimp a mech. Just not really my play style I suppose. There again it is much like the Small Laser (About all that'd fit) on a Hunchback's head. Why? Unless you are an Alpha Strike Hunchback (a ton of small lasers... and I mean a ton them), that little plinker really is not saving the fact I just took off your right shoulder and arm, now is it? There again, I do not rely as heavily on Brute Force (okay my Atlas is an exception, I built him specifically to walk up to two of your Assaults and stand there dishing and taking a pounding... and walk away) as I do pinpoint weaponry and Crippling before Killing, as it tends to save me a lot of pain in the long run if I tear off their considerably weaker shoulders* than try to dig through their core... especially since any real mech can move, even an atlas, and has a turning radius and speed (at higher tiers) that makes them very hard to stay behind as long as they stop and turn the opposite direction from the way you're running, instead of trying to walk in a circle with you.

*This does not apply to my streak commando, but he's just for the kicks.... Come on, 3 SSRMs on a commando with a fully upgraded XL engine. It's fun.

Edited by Discordantone, 11 October 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#43 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Come on guys, we need run downs for the rest of the mechs, and we need some more tips for staying alive and/or killing.

#44 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

Still need run downs for... Catapult (Yeah, I know... boat, but this is for newbies after all), Centurion, Dragon, Commando.

#45 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

Looks like I'm actually going to have to buy and run these four for a few days to find out myself lol... I've never even touched a Centurion or Dragon, and I've only scampered around with a max-engined commando to goof off with streaks, and my Cat is what a Cat is supposed to be, an LRM boat... sooo I guess I'll tinker around and test it through each and see if I can come up with workable strategies.

#46 Nicholai Matowski

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Catapult (Multiple Variants)

Class: The Catapult is a Heavy Mech. There is only one variant that is not heavily invested in the support role, and that is the CPLT-K2 Variant.

Strengths: The majority of catapults are set up for long range fire support. Use this to your advantage, and immediately announce that you are looking for a scout as soon as you drop in.

Weaknesses: In medium and short range, a catapult can barely handle a light scout. The way their 'head' extrudes out of the center of the torso makes them a beautiful target for tearing your cockpit apart.

Psychological Profile: The name of the game is nerves of steel, whether you are running the front line support variant, or the back field missile boat. At long ranges, you need to make sure that your target is indefinitely spotted, and communication is key. Your job is to keep that scout alive from range, while raining down as much death and destruction as possible in as short a time as possible. You have the life of not only another person in your hands, but may very well be the point where your squad is looking at a win or a loss because of your actions. Don't get nervous from this pressure. Embrace it, and use it to focus.

Considerations

Grouping: By default, most Catapults are in the average Heat Efficiency range. This means that they can put out an alpha strike with their default wapons, and not shut down or explode. It doesn't mean, however, that you can run around firing with impunity. Group your weapons by range, and cycle them as each requires. Also, remember that LRM's have a minimum range.

Modifications: One of the most common modifications is to the A1 variant. You remove the LRM's, go with streaks, and become a middle rank support in the action. Streaks have the advantage of not being a hot cannon, but this means you take a bit longer to be able to start to actually fire. Ironically, you excel best with streaks fighting other Catapults, as well as scout mechs. If you are in range of a catapult, start firing into it with all of those streaks. An experienced pilot in a Catapult will swiftly become nervous.

Best Pairing
Varies: For long range fire support variants, your best pairing is initially the scouts. These are the guys that you were built for. Secondary is your medium mechs that should be guarding the flanks. If you go with a shorter range for your mech, you should be somewhere between scouts and the big boys. Always in a support role.

Favored Tactics
Heavy Interdiction: Having gone with a short range variant, you see a scout in trouble. You know there are missile boats on the field, so you call for support, and charge into the fray. However, your objective is not to win the fight, but to distract them from your smaller squadmate. You start out by placing an alpha to the Dragon's torso to get his attention, then start unloading in a rapid chain of SRM's as you circle him, before heading off in a feigned retreat. You eye the inbound missiles, and hope they are your squad mate's answer to the call.

Fire in the Sky: The action is hot and heavy on a field, with few intervening obstacles other than a large mound that blocks line of site. You have scouts out there, and while you patiently await their call, you hear that the enemy Jenner has been spotted. It is then that you get the call from your own Commando, followed by another Catapult, who has decided to engage a Dragon to save the scout. You tab through the targets until you find the enemy currently under fire, and as soon as you zero in on the designated target, you let loose an alpha of missiles. You just hope that they don't hit your squad mate.

Tactical Awareness
Sticking out your chin: Your adrenaline is running high, and you are exhilarated after putting down a Dragon. You decide to follow a Commando as support. Coming around a stand of rocks, you walk directly into a Centurion with an AC/20 for an arm, and your torso armor is showing yellow from the fight you just won.

Edited by Nicholai Matowski, 17 October 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#47 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Catapult down, 3 left. Thanks again Nicholai

#48 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

Okay, someone else is going to have to do the Centurion part... I've tried... I've tried all the variants and as many different build strategies I can come up with... the most effective I've been is stuffing a Gauss Rifle in the arm of the AH, and using him as a sniper, but I could do that more efficiently with an Atlas or a Cat, sooo...

I will get down to work on the other two.

#49 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Linked in some guides from the actual Battlemechs section, credit for said guide belongs entirely to those whom originated those guides.

#50 Blood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Catapult – A1
This guide is specifically for A1 streakcat with XL engine and 6x ssrm what I consider pure streakcat and the most effective out of streakcat variants (i.e. 5x ssrm and 1x lrm, 2x lrm, 4x ssrm, etc.). If you build your streakcat to be bit more hybrid or without XL engine, this guide is not for you.

Class: Pure Streakcat Build

Strength: Speed with 70-80 kph top speed, mobility with jumpjet, and don’t need to aim. Let's you focus more on piloting than gunnery since you don't really need to aim except to achieve missile lock.

Weaknesses: Range of 270meter, all your eggs are in two baskets which are on your left and right shoulder. Mech that’s been shut down. Expensive to build and maintain. XL engine isn't cheap, A1 isn't cheap, buying all those ammos every round isn't cheap. If you die and should your XL engine blow up...you will cry. You must have solid rainy day fund or backup mechs to play in case this happens. Rare but it happens.

Favored Tactics
  • Tactic is pretty much same as lights because most mechs can’t keep up with you in speed or mobility.
    • Circle and fire your streaks. Either in chain (if you want to rattle and throw off their aim). Or alpha strike with all your streaks when you are behind them
    • Drive by, using obstacles and your speed/mobility. Drive by, fire off few rounds or alpha strike and turn around somewhere else to drive by again or move onto different location.
    • Jump Fire. Time to time to get better angle on your streak trajectory, jump and then fire. If you are high enough, it’ll go straight down and avoid low buildings and hills. Think of it as helicopter firing missiles at you from sky. Kinda hard to use low hills and buildings to block your shots.
    • Run straight to obstacle and use your jumpjet to lose non-jump capable mechs and get away
Responsibilities
  • Hunting down and destroying enemy lights is your top priority. I will break my engagement to chase down and kill lights first. I cannot emphasize enough that pure streakcat’s main job is to kill lights.
    • If you kill their lights, they lose their eyes, ears, and reflex. Refer to Basics, Tactics and Roles: Light Class. Not only that, enemy team loses their harasser so that your LRM buddies and gauss snipers can fire away without having to worry or deal with annoying light poking them. Also frees up your lights to poke your enemy rather than engaging lights.
    • It only takes 2-4 alpha strike to kill light as pure streak and our build allows us to deal with lights very quickly and easily.
    • It stops enemy LRMs in early game from softening up your team while your team still has lights that can R and allow your team to soften them up with LRMs
  • Backup Scout and Quick Reaction Force.
    • If your lights are busy or dead, it is your job to scout and react to enemy movements quickly. Typically, you will be the next fastest after lights. You need to spot for your team and cause havoc by running around and flanking them if needed. Needed being your lights are dead or busy engaging.
    • Protect your vulnerable team members. Do you see hunch going after your LRM support? You can get there quickly to help and have enough firepower to draw attention away quickly and win. Almost always every mech will start to look around or turn around to face you when you fire 2-3 Alphastrike of 6x streaks onto them. I guarantee it.
Use of Chain Fire and Alpha strike or group of streaks

Benefits of Chain Fire as pure streakcat
  • Rattles enemy mech non-stop and helps throwing their aim off. Works great against hunch with ac20 and large mechs like Atlas.
  • Chain Fire keeps heat low
Benefits of Alphastrike or firing groups of streaks
  • If you lined up your trajectory right, it deals solid number of damage quickly and if your heatsinks can handle it…few alphastrike of 6x ssrm will usually kill a light.
  • If you are trying to burst down a mech quickly such as dual gausscat.

Edited by Blood78, 18 October 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#51 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:12 AM

The problem with the Streak Cat build, is that as soon as Streaks start doing splash damage, and no longer target the Center Core with every hit, the Streak Cat is going to be replaced by either Gauss-A-Pults or LRM boats... like the Catapult -should- be.

The current efficiency of the Streak Cat is based on it's ability to hit your core with nearly every shot, and do all of it's damage to your core directly. Once the SSRMs begin doing splash damage, it will be more efficient to sit in the back with LRMs or Gauss Rifles, being as your potential damage is then higher than getting into the middle of combat, and doing effectively very little damage in comparison.

After that, the SSRMs will be back in the hands of those it belongs... the small light and medium class mechs, whom tend to be at point blank range -anyway-. and it is a weapon that they can fire almost blindly, without it being a dumbfire weapon like the rest of the SRMs.

This is not to say that a Catapult A1 cannot carry a set of two SSRMs, in case the enemy actually gets close, however again, their potential damage will become much higher as chain-firing missile frigates.

Remember, This is a Catapult, not an Archer (why they didn't add the Archer is beyond me, I -love- that Mech.), and it's name is Catapult for a reason... it is a siege weapon, not an 'in your face' bruiser such as the Timberwolf (Mad Cat, Sorry.) or the Warhammer (Wait, this mech is stealth, sorry.) Both of whom have the shoulders, if with a smaller set of hard points, but also have the weight and other assorted beat-down weaponry that puts them as a front line assault/heavy.

Edited by Discordantone, 19 October 2012 - 03:25 AM.

#52 Blood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

View PostDiscordantone, on 19 October 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

The problem with the Streak Cat build, is that as soon as Streaks start doing splash damage, and no longer target the Center Core with every hit, the Streak Cat is going to be replaced by either Gauss-A-Pults or LRM boats... like the Catapult -should- be.

The current efficiency of the Streak Cat is based on it's ability to hit your core with nearly every shot, and do all of it's damage to your core directly. Once the SSRMs begin doing splash damage, it will be more efficient to sit in the back with LRMs or Gauss Rifles, being as your potential damage is then higher than getting into the middle of combat, and doing effectively very little damage in comparison.

After that, the SSRMs will be back in the hands of those it belongs... the small light and medium class mechs, whom tend to be at point blank range -anyway-. and it is a weapon that they can fire almost blindly, without it being a dumbfire weapon like the rest of the SRMs.

This is not to say that a Catapult A1 cannot carry a set of two SSRMs, in case the enemy actually gets close, however again, their potential damage will become much higher as chain-firing missile frigates.

Remember, This is a Catapult, not an Archer (why they didn't add the Archer is beyond me, I -love- that Mech.), and it's name is Catapult for a reason... it is a siege weapon, not an 'in your face' bruiser such as the Timberwolf (Mad Cat, Sorry.) or the Warhammer (Wait, this mech is stealth, sorry.) Both of whom have the shoulders, if with a smaller set of hard points, but also have the weight and other assorted beat-down weaponry that puts them as a front line assault/heavy.

Yes, current streakcat takes advantage of center torso streak to be front line speedy assassin. Until they change it, it's going to be viable build and soon as they do balance it, it'll probably dissappear the battle field.

Personally though I'll be continuing to experiment with close up catapult build. Whether it's trying to copy "Butterbee" with SRMs, LRMs/SRMs, SSRM/LRMS. Or may move onto another build that takes advantage of what ever isn't balance XD

I just do thoroughly enjoy killing lights early because I know how much impact it has on the game. Even when ssrm does splash isntead of center toros, it'll still kill lights very quickly with 6x ssrm so I may just designate myself to that role.

Edited by Blood78, 19 October 2012 - 05:08 AM.

#53 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

Personally I have found that having a large XL engine, and stacking SRM 6s in an A1 to be devastating... what you do is literally run up to an atlas, plant your nose in his chest, and Alpha strike... his torso armor is gone, and normally you blow both of his shoulders off as well.. generally only works against Heavy or Assault Mechs, as in order to accomplish it every time you have to literally bump up against them, square on (either back or front, not one of their sides) and cut loose on them at point blank range... the SRMs only splash so far, and generally it's right across from shoulder to shoulder, torso included... and invariably you crit with that many SRM strikes, so whatever -was- in those hard points is gone.

Yeah you take a beating getting close, but that beating ends quick.

#54 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostDiscordantone, on 02 October 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

Commando: Unfortunately extremely underpowered (some disagree, true, but everyone has their own play style and thus a mech that suits them) as their torso-twist range is rather small, they can't keep up with their Jenner brothers, but they -can- dish out some pain with SRMs and pokes. Incidentally if you knock off their arms, or just light them up with rockets, they become nearly worthless other than a distraction... disable them and ignore them and worry about the bigger problems.

I'm sorry, but this is very wrong. The Commando actually has a wider torso+arm range than the Jenner (90+40 versus 120+0 for the Jenner). They are also only about 2 kph slower than a Jenner with a maxed out engine.

As for ignoring them... Please continue doing that. A COM-2D can pack a 50-point alpha (3xSRM-6 + ML). The 1B can keep it's all-arm-mounted lasers on you throughout its 260 degree firing arc. Disarm a 1D and it'll happily keep shooting you with its CT-mounted missiles.

#55 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

View Poststjobe, on 19 October 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but this is very wrong. The Commando actually has a wider torso+arm range than the Jenner (90+40 versus 120+0 for the Jenner). They are also only about 2 kph slower than a Jenner with a maxed out engine.

As for ignoring them... Please continue doing that. A COM-2D can pack a 50-point alpha (3xSRM-6 + ML). The 1B can keep it's all-arm-mounted lasers on you throughout its 260 degree firing arc. Disarm a 1D and it'll happily keep shooting you with its CT-mounted missiles.

I -did- say that it was merely my opinion, if you have a better solution to killing or handling Commandos, please list it.

Also, they are a bit slower than a Jenner than that, if you're a founder and have mastered out the Jenner.

Plus, if you note, I said disable them and then ignore them (and I also did note that they can dish out some hefty damage with SRMs)... if they are still firing at you, after you've blown off their arms and a leg, turn around and remove them.

Edited by Discordantone, 19 October 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#56 Tcheekin

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo CA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Sorry if this was covered but I didn't see it and since this is a guide for new players I really wanted to get it in ...

The Three Basics ... you hear them screamed in the pick up groups (PUGs) but they are important for starters .. as you advance, you'll be able to change/alter/ignore these to some degree but for the BEGINNER they are a core foundation:

1. Stick together - Unless you are a scout stay with friends ... this is a friends game ... the winner many times is the group with the most friends that stay together. Turning the corner to find an enemy Atlas can be disturbing but not endgame (lots of good light pilots can drop an assault fast) ... turning the corner to see four or five enemy mechs, no matter their weight, will make every pilot mic or at least think "ahhh sheeeet".

2. Focus Fire - Don't shoot five different mechs ... stick to one mech, the same mech your friends (see above) are all shooting. Work together and pick one mech. Even if you are getting pestered by others ... Think Star Wars - "Stay on target ... STAY ON TARGET". It will drop the mech faster and your team's strategic advantage grows exponentially with each of the enemies deaths.

3. Don't Fear Disengage - I think this one gets ignored the most in PUGs (even some premades). You should not feel you need to throw your soul into every engagement on the field ... if you are taking a beating and not giving back as much ... or you are outnumbered ... RETREAT back to your friends. Get back into the crowd, weaving and dodging, it's ok to fall back and disengage. Many times the mech(s) that were targeting you will switch to another more prevalent mech once you enter your team's grouping. That's all you need is a two to three second breather, swing around, let things cool off then jump back in ... you'll last longer which helps the whole team. Bring the fight to your team's ground don't solo it out there alone. If they follow rules #1 and #2, they'll turn the tide and you will be alive to feast on the victory :P

Of course, as with all the other tips, these core rules have exceptions or become obsolete as you master different elements in the game but for starters just coming online they will help you get to the more advanced levels much faster. They will also build confidence in not only your own abilities but in your skills to communicate with your teammates ... and none of us here can over stress how important communication is in this game. It's three rules ... should be easy to remember ... once you've got them, then you can work on how to ID a Cat and which area to hit him :ph34r:

Now that I've written that glob upstairs out, I began thinking about one more point: Communication. This is such a huge elephant in the room thing that we all praise it but forget to push it ... what IS communication?

Communication is the two way flow of information between team members that allows for a better, more cohesive game. It is easy to just say that communication is getting into Teamspeak(TS) and talking ... well, it is in some ways but I personally believe that TS is simply a tool to accomplish the actual task of communication .. a REALLY good one but still a tool. There are players that load TS and have a mute mic but still manage to communicate. I have even been in PUGs that won against premades using only the in-game communication tools (typing, command map, targeting, positioning).

Communication takes two things: tools to perform the task and the willingness to use the tools. The tools come in several forms:
  • Teamspeak (or other Voice Communication App): Arguably the most powerful of the tools available.
  • Command Map: The map has a grid coordinate system to ID where things are (rather than "Over by me") but also has a very powerful, somewhat underused command icon ability.
  • Targeting: The "R" button on your keyboard is so important that many light mech pilots have it rebound to their Right Mouse button. The "R" button targets a mech (usually under your reticle) which then provides information about that mech not just to you but to EVERY teammate you have. When you "highlight" an enemy mech, you are communicating a TON of important information to your teammates ... ALWAYS try to have a mech targeted even if it isn't the one you are shooting.
  • Chat: Typing takes your hands off the primary keys for combat and so this form of communication does get its fair share of disdain among the more advanced players BUT it IS a tool of communication and if its all you have, its better than total silence by a long shot.
  • Position: This is a tool for communication? You bet ... if you are in a certain place and taking or not taking damage, I can assume certain factors about that area. If you are following with the group and focusing on what they are, you are communicating a willingness to work with the team ... you are reliable. This is "Mech Body Language" and it does provide information so keep it in mind.
Now the more challenging part of communication .. a willingness to accomplish the task. Are you willing to communicate with your teammates? Are they willing to communicate with you? Most people drop into a pug and the chat type is quiet save for one guy yelling "GLHF" or similar protocol. Now and then you'll hear one or two of the common rules listed above "Stay together". Those are not all that communicating because know one knows WHERE to stay together. Sometimes you'll get "whats the plan?" .. but no response .. THIS is where you step up with your willingness and communicate back "Let's run up to the ridge" ... "sounds good .. everyone to the ridge". A PUG stops being a PUG the moment people exert their willingness to communicate and do such. I've been in PUGs where one person just steps up and starts providing a simple solid plan ... many times these newer players are just looking for a leader (someone that knows a little more about the game) but both the leader and the followers need to have the willingness to communicate. And when they follow, you have the beginnings of communication and I personally believe, that's where the PUG ends and the fun starts. Try it out.

EDIT: So after reading this thread four times (three before posting, one after) It appears this is better suited in the "Tips guide" as this guide is more of a "Specific Tactics" guide rather than a "General Tactics" guide. This guide seems to be for those that have already bled on the field for a few days or so and not for those coming off the gates. I wonder if I can have this post moved ... sorry for that.

Edited by Tcheekin, 19 October 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#57 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Lol not at all :P And yes, you can delete your post and merely move it elsewhere via copy/paste

#58 Lyran

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNorth England

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Great guide, thanks!

#59 Tandris

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Dragon (Multiple Variants)

Class: The Dragon is a heavy mech referred to as the "cavalry" of the field. What does this mean? It means that you are a fast strike force designed to ride in and do heavy damage to engaged enemies and then ride back out again.

Strength: Your speed and arm mounted weaponry is your strength. Your speed allows you to quickly strike enemies while not allowing yourself to be exposed for too long. Your arm mounted weaponry allow you to fire at enemy mechs as you pass by at extreme angles that are not normally permitted by torso twisting alone.

Weakness: Your arm mounted weaponry and commitment to speed over weaponry are your weaknesses. The fact that your major hitting power is in your arms can be a weakness since it is easy to "defang" your sting by removing those weapons. Your commitment to that large engine does mean that you can't mount a bunch of heavy weapons on your ride, but really to fill your role well you don't want long cooldowns on your weaponry anyways.

Psychological Profile: Opportunist. Be ready to move and engage targets as needed. You need to be able to run and gun when your team needs you. Your role is a strange one, you will start out sniping mechs as they approach and then once the brawl starts you have to be able to move quickly where additional firepower is needed. Some matches you may have 0 kills and 7 assists and others you may end up with 4 kills. Expect to be moving constantly once the brawls start to be adding your firepower in. A heat efficient build is needed since you will spend a good amount of your time running and gunning in the mid-point of a match.

Considerations

Grouping: The Dragon has similar hardpoints throughout each variant. My experience with this mech has lead me to build it in the following way. 1 Gauss rifle in the RA with 40 shots (4 tons of ammo), 2 Medium lasers in the LA (sometimes 1 ends up in the LT due to variant), 1 Streak SRM 2 in the CT, AMS and 1 ton of ammo for incidental LRM fire and a 300 XL engine. Yes the XL engine in expensive, but worth it to be able to add the heavy hitting power of the gauss rifle. Add in 2 extra heatsinks (which I normally put in the legs) and you're ready to deal death.
For weapon grouping I put the 2 Mediums and the Streak on fire group 1 and the Gauss on fire group 2. In this way as heat builds on your medium laser/streak combo you can let it cooldown with shots from the Gauss.

Range: The Gauss allows you to place shots at long ranges (660m and in is optimal but you can shoot further). The medium lasers and streak are for brawling. Your optimal range to target for alpha strikes is 270m and you can hold that range fairly easily due to the speed that this mech can achieve.

Best Pairing

Any or none. Your best pairing comes from managing your role on the field as the extra firepower needed in engagements in the field. Keep in touch with your team and make sure that you are quickly responding to threats as the emerge. Keep on the move and don't get bogged down trying to kill an enemy unless they are harassing you constantly.

Favored Tactic

As I mentioned earlier the best tactics I have found with the Dragon are as a fast strike mech. At the beginning of the match, make sure that you place yourself to be central to your team and also so you can add some down range sniping. As the action heats up, you will be well placed to move quickly to respond to the tactics of the enemy team and add your firepower in to help out your brawling mechs.
Don't be afraid to run through a brawl running and gunning the whole way. You have enough armor to take some hits and survive, and any shots placed on you aren't hitting your teammates that can't speed away as quickly. If you start getting really damaged, don't be afraid to bug out, your speed really comes into play here. If you don't have armor in the front sections, use the armor in the back to take some hits as you zig and zag out of the fight. Move back to your sniping role from the beginning of the match and add in some damage that way.

The bonus to having arm mounted weaponry means that you can shoot enemies as you move through a brawl. Shooting to the extreme side and protecting that huge CT that juts out in front of you is critical to keeping yourself alive. It also means that you can track and shoot light mechs that are trying to circle around you, allowing you more time on target than most other mechs. Arm mounted guns allow you to decide where the enemy is going to shoot you since you can twist to spread the damage around your mech. While you twist from one side to the other you will still be able to bring your weapons to bear on them, even at extreme angles.

Tactical Awareness

The Dragon pilot needs to be aware of the elements on the field. They need to talk to their team. They need to be able to quickly move to where the help is needed. Your assault is being harassed by light mechs? Get there and back him up. Your medium brawlers have run into resistance? Get there and back them up.
If you get too much notice, use the terrain and your speed to get out of there and either lead them into your teams guns or call for a bit of help yourself and use your speed to have the enemy present their backs to your teammates.

#60 Discordantone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thank you, Tandris, very much. One more mech to go.

Edited by Discordantone, 19 October 2012 - 12:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users