13 replies to this topic

#1 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Has anyone heard if there are other plastic minis like the clan omni mechs that were included with the anniversary box set, or are they lame?

#2 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

I would like to see an extensive range of the premium plastics that came with the set, they are very good. B)
However I do not think they are in production. :lol:

#3 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

No other High quality plastics at this time.

Plenty of metal ones out there though.

#4 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

yah i've painted my share of metal minis. I was impressed by the crisp detail of the two plastic omnis, detail that you don't get from a cast metal mini. They must use cnc milling machines to make the moulds or maybe a 3d printer. There might be a radical change to minis in the future if the right company gets on board.

#5 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

only the 2 clan mechs are the premiums.the set still comes with the 24 plastic mechs from the last box issue also though.

#6 Zyzyx66

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

I was very excited at the prospect of more of those great quality plastics - I'd love to see premium plastic redesigns of all the intro set minis, and I'd pay Games Workshop prices for them. As far as I can there don't seem to be plans for more though (the company that made them doesn't exist anymore?)

#7 TWolfWD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

The Omnis were of excellent quality, though I still have one complaint. They're too big! Hellbringer should not be the same height as my Atlas, nor should he be wider than his hex by almost 150%. All the same, I love him!

#8 Vermaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Running off a series of high quality high detail plastic minis would be great, but if you take a trip to your local store you generally see a selection of Battletech stuff that has been there for years. There is probably almost no money in BTech minis right now (maybe this game will revitalize it) and definitely not enough to scrap the metal molds for injection molding or vacuforming.

Frankly I do not understand why almost all custom minis and accessories are still metal. Is resin casting / plastic forming really that much more effort?

#9 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

the last thing I heard, with the success last year of the 25th anniversary box set, Catalyst Game Labs had been considering releasing a Clan based box set, that would consist of a range of high quality mini's like we saw with the Thor and the Loki.

#10 Waffles

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostTWolfWD, on 05 June 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

The Omnis were of excellent quality, though I still have one complaint. They're too big! Hellbringer should not be the same height as my Atlas, nor should he be wider than his hex by almost 150%. All the same, I love him!

Well, the intro box mines are a little on the anemic side. And the hex base they put the clan minis on is designed to be placed on top of a traditional pewter hex. But yes, I still agree they are seem mighty large in comparison to the intro box minis.

#11 SiriusBeef

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 82 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

View PostWaffles, on 06 June 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Well, the intro box mines are a little on the anemic side. And the hex base they put the clan minis on is designed to be placed on top of a traditional pewter hex. But yes, I still agree they are seem mighty large in comparison to the intro box minis.

Scale means nothing to Battletech Minis, never did....

#12 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

You can see 2 of my painted plastic minis out of that Box in the "Painted miniature" thread.

also on the side you can see others.

#13 TWolfWD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostSiriusBeef, on 07 June 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

Scale means nothing to Battletech Minis, never did....

They do if you play on Hex maps. Can be tough fitting 2 oversized minis up against eachother ;)

#14 Birdfoz

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostVermaxx, on 05 June 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Running off a series of high quality high detail plastic minis would be great, but if you take a trip to your local store you generally see a selection of Battletech stuff that has been there for years. There is probably almost no money in BTech minis right now (maybe this game will revitalize it) and definitely not enough to scrap the metal molds for injection molding or vacuforming.

Frankly I do not understand why almost all custom minis and accessories are still metal. Is resin casting / plastic forming really that much more effort?

If you check out Iron Wind Metals, they still produce all the mechs, vehicles, aerospace, infantry, and protomechs. They continue to release new ones each month, including 3085. While they are still pewter and not plastic, at least they are up to date. You can even get omni weapon's packs for certain mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users