#22 FLes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

View PostCobraFive, on 03 October 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

The cool thing about MGs is it instantly lets you know who's a bad player.

Not necessarily. I Like to use them from time to time, because I love constantly fireing stream of bullets, although I know I won't do much damage. It's fun! B)

#23 IIIuminaughty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

wait untill the annahilator comes out I'll put a mg boat on it and you all see how worthless MGs really are

#24 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

I heard that a while back two clans went against each other, each mech equipped only 3 machineguns and as much ammo as they could carry.

Tie game, not sure if there were any kills or not.

#25 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

View PostStrataDragoon, on 26 October 2012 - 06:18 AM, said:

wait untill the annahilator comes out I'll put a mg boat on it and you all see how worthless MGs really are

They still be useless.

However, whether it might be because you are just terrible at piloting or a lack of firepower is anyone's guess.

#26 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

Anyone saying it's "only .5 tons" - it's 1.5, including ammo.

You're better off installing AMS for the same tonnage, or a heat sink. MG's are only "effective" against internal structure, and not really much at that.

By comparison, the weapon which has the same TT damage, the AC/2 is amazing. It's a rapid fire dakka machine, while the MG is one in sound only, signifying nothing.

#27 Takeo

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

MGs are pointless. I only use them to get someones attention if I am trying to distract them or to keep the UAC 5 from Jamming. Beyond that I don't depend on them to kill a mech, although I did get one kill from a MG but the guy was bad off, a Flamer probobly would have killed him.

Long story short, get small lasers instead or just leave the slot empty.

Edited by Takeo, 26 October 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#28 OptiMist

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Good to know! Thanks for the info! :)

#29 Regina Redshift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Gun nipples, that's it. Well, that would be their use if the guns looked different when they were installed.

#30 Supercakers

• PipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

MG's only do .4 dps compared to small lasers 1dps. It does seem super weak, since it would take 2.5 tons of space for 3 mg's and a ton of ammo to do 1.2dps, however it is entirely heatless dps and they have a 10% (I think?) crit chance, with each bullet getting a chance to crit at 10 bullets per second per mg. But for 2.5 tons you could just add a small laser and 2 more heat sinks and probably be better off.

#31 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

they're terrible

the only quasi-useful thing they do is fire without generating heat so if you've ripped open a guy's armor and are near your heat limit you can sometimes finish them off with MGs

but they're mostly useless

#32 Agarwaen

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

I gotta say... I did 450 damage with the 4 MG Cicada earlier. (Though, I'd make bets that most of it was from my LPL). Still, it was hilarious to see so many bullets flying down range.

Armor that thing up and its hard to take down.

#33 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

btw they are not good crit seekers either, regardless of what anyone tells you

#34 Telecleez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLost in the void

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

mg's as they stand now are really nothing more than noise makers they don't really do any thing... Come on devs show the MGs some love and up the damage

#35 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'm sorry to say I agree with most of what's already been said, they're pretty bad.

I usually dislike just saying something is "bad" without provinding a decent analysis to validate my statement, but in this case I believe it's justified.

They're bad. They're just plain bad. Only use I've found is that it irritates your target and might get them to go after you (which could be useful for a fast mech).

I think Flamers are worse, though. Pathetic range, very low damage, very low heat for the enemy (so they're bad at what is supposed to be their primary purpose) and surprisingly high heat for the user... they're actually terrible enough that no one uses them. I think I'm gonna go use some right now just to bask in how utterly garbagific they truly are.

EDIT: OK, as bad as Machine Guns are, Flamers are much worse. Even with 21 double heat sinks and only 5 Flamers, I kept overheating myself and despite getting a significantly long time on an Awesome I only did 60 damage the entire match. My opponent probably suffered some heating issues, but with Medium Pulse Lasers I could have easily killed it in that same amount of time. They're terrible.

Hopefully they'll be doing something about balance issues of this magnitude before then. I mean, you could simply double MG damage and still be pretty damn certain they wouldn't be overpowered, so...

Edited by De La Fresniere, 26 October 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#36 MadaO

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I died early one match and spent the next 5 minutes watching this guy chase several people down with mg's blazing. He did well and was always right behind his targets. I estimate he spent several thousand rounds of mg but at the end of the game he barely broke 100 damage inflicted.

I think his effort should have been rewarded with a better outcome than the mg's yielded. It's pointless to say he used a bad choice of weapons since we are interested in balancing the game so that every weapon is desirable.

#37 LokVokun

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationHere in the Shadows.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

View Postwhy485, on 03 October 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

They are utterly worthless with no redeeming values whatsoever.

[REDACTED]

I would liek to rebuttle because the Cicada loaded out with 4 of them can really lay in deep.

#38 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostLokVokun, on 26 October 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I would liek to rebuttle because the Cicada loaded out with 4 of them can really lay in deep.

I'm assuming that's sarcastic? I just saw a guy in another thread complain about how utterly useless that setup was...

Hrm. Alright, let's do the math.

Assuming you can keep constant, perfect aim...

MGx4:
Does 4.8 damage every 3 seconds
Requires 5 tons (2 tons of MGs and then at least 3 tons of ammo because you're firing them at quadruple speed), or 5.5 if you want CASE
Requires 7 slots
Very short range

A single Medium Laser:
Does 5 damage every 3 seconds
Requires 1 ton
Requires 1 slot
Short-Medium range

You won't ever overheat spamming a single Medium Laser, so the heat issue is... not really an issue.

In summary, the Medium Laser does slightly more damage, at better range, for 1/5 the weight, for 1/7 the slots, and it will never run out of ammo (or need said ammo to be protected). The laser is absurdly better.

The only advantage I see with the MGs is, if part of you gets blown up, you'll still keep some firepower. The rest is incredibly pathetic.

Sorry, the MG needs a very, *very* serious power increase.

#39 Shagohad

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

I play Ravens and I found MG's to be fun. Dogfighting lights made me feel like Snoopy fighting the Red Baron and you can do a bit of damage while your lasers recharge. Melt armor with lasers, overheat, swap to MG's as you cool, lasers again. Just learn your rotations, haha.

#40 Hugh Manatee

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

I like how they handled them in MW4(and all ammo based guns tbh, drop your gun in the slot and add the ammo directly too it, no fussing with crit slotting, they could improve on the MW4 model by having it so you can add fractional tons of ammo, like with the armor) in MW4. Instead of 1 machine gun per 1 hardpoint, you got 3(4 on the clan). The "Machine gun array" weighed 1.5-2 tons and the damage numbers reflected the fact that there were 3 of the things in 1 slot. What this worked out to, is if you had a mech with a lot of balistic slots, like the hunchie, it could pack "12" machine guns in it's hump(had 4 balistic slots in that game, and another direct fire in it's head). I like the idea of hardpoints since it keeps the mechs "honest" to what they look like(in MW2 I'd put lasers/ppcs/missiles in my feet and a PPC in my crotch/CT and a LL in my head, strip the armor out of the arms or stick heat sinks there and the torsos) but the weapons need to fit in the hardpoints better, like a machine gun should only take up like 1/3-1/2 of a ballistic hardpoint or we should ditch the single machine gun for the MW4 style array

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users