What's the point?

34 replies to this topic

#21 Capp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Ah yes, I was thinking Maskirovka for spying, but it's the Death Commandos that are allowed to execute you guys on a whim.

#22 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

View Postdal10, on 21 October 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

I am less worried about the maskirova than the Death commandos. now those mofos are SCARY. I would bet on death commandos vs just about any other spec ops group in the IS.

I'd argue that the Nekagami are supperior. They put an origami cat on Katrina steiner's bed.

A bed that is in a room that is directly behind the throne room. Which is guarded 24/7/365 by two battlemechs. And God knows how many Loki and Heimdall agents.

#23 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

are those mechs even piloted? I was under the impression that they just sat there as a bit of intimidation scenery. Lohengrin would be more likely to be defending the throne than Loki.

I will reference the Death Commando raid on the planet of Wei.

During the Xin Sheng Campaign, the Death Commandos took over the pacification of Wei after a 'rebel' nerve gas attack killed an entire Battalion of the 1st McCarron's Armored Cavalry, allotted just seven days to complete their mission.
On the first day, the Commandos infiltrated Wei without BattleMechs to avoid giving away their DropShips, seizing control of a major communications center to deliver a demand for the Wei government's unconditional surrender within thirty minutes, if refused the demand would be made again in exactly one week.
Blowing up the center after thirty-one minutes when the government declined to answer, over the next six hours the Commandos systematically eliminated thirty-seven highly placed government officials and military officers. Forty-eight hours after the initial surrender demand was made, the highest-ranking officer left on world was a major and the Death Commando had destroyed the planet's three largest supply depots and primary space tracking station, finally allowing their DropShips and BattleMechs to strike without mercy.
By the sixth day, a newly formed Wei administration had begun to desperately transmit its surrender on all frequencies, all of which the Commandos ignored, instead focusing on shattering the last vestiges of the planet's militia. On the seventh day the Commandos mopped up any straggling military resistance before one of their DropShips dramatically levelled the planet's primary government buildings, finally accepting Wei's surrender at midnight, exactly seven days from their initial demand.

6 hours to kill 37 government officials who KNEW they were coming for them. yeah, the death commandos are scary...

Edited by dal10, 22 October 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#24 Harlequin

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Wolfs Dragoons have Clan origins. They were originally sent as scouts from the Clan Worlds to the Inner Sphere for the purpose of longterm recon. In comprised of mostly freeborn and a few clan warriors.

Snord's irregulars are kind of like a special unit from the original wolfs Dragoons that were tasked with finding old commstar caches and eventually became its own mercenary outfit.

#25 Justin Xang Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Postdal10, on 04 October 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

you forgot that the davions are the bullies of the battletech world. and our next chancellor is just about the best leader the inner sphere has seen.

if you read the books then you would know that liao's are generally crazy. sun tzu only cares about sun tzu.

View Postdal10, on 22 October 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

are those mechs even piloted? I was under the impression that they just sat there as a bit of intimidation scenery. Lohengrin would be more likely to be defending the throne than Loki.

I will reference the Death Commando raid on the planet of Wei.

During the Xin Sheng Campaign, the Death Commandos took over the pacification of Wei after a 'rebel' nerve gas attack killed an entire Battalion of the 1st McCarron's Armored Cavalry, allotted just seven days to complete their mission.
On the first day, the Commandos infiltrated Wei without BattleMechs to avoid giving away their DropShips, seizing control of a major communications center to deliver a demand for the Wei government's unconditional surrender within thirty minutes, if refused the demand would be made again in exactly one week.
Blowing up the center after thirty-one minutes when the government declined to answer, over the next six hours the Commandos systematically eliminated thirty-seven highly placed government officials and military officers. Forty-eight hours after the initial surrender demand was made, the highest-ranking officer left on world was a major and the Death Commando had destroyed the planet's three largest supply depots and primary space tracking station, finally allowing their DropShips and BattleMechs to strike without mercy.
By the sixth day, a newly formed Wei administration had begun to desperately transmit its surrender on all frequencies, all of which the Commandos ignored, instead focusing on shattering the last vestiges of the planet's militia. On the seventh day the Commandos mopped up any straggling military resistance before one of their DropShips dramatically levelled the planet's primary government buildings, finally accepting Wei's surrender at midnight, exactly seven days from their initial demand.

6 hours to kill 37 government officials who KNEW they were coming for them. yeah, the death commandos are scary...

killing fat government officials is not what i would call hard.......

#26 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

they also took Kai Allard Liao back from his capture on New Syrtis, and heavily damaged your precious Kathil Shipyards druing the *****. Plus those government officials knew that the death commandos were coming, yet still were wiped out in 6 hours. On top of that, they helped stop the blakists from taking Sian. If i remember correctly the blakists tooks New Avalon didn't they?

#27 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Dal: those mechs are most assuredly piloted.

Edit: that having been said, it is kind of unfair to include the Nekagami, since they are more or less an independant organization.

Edited by Ashla Mason, 22 October 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#28 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

not really, I never said house spec ops unit.

#29 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

View Postdal10, on 22 October 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

not really, I never said house spec ops unit.

Touche!

#30 Capp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

The original point was the Maskirovka and the Death Commandos are both CapCon. I'd just forgotten which group does the executing of their own soldiers.

#31 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Gotta agree with Davion being the bullies. They're portrayed in many of the novels as the heroes doing the right thing. Freeing the oppressed people of the Inner Sphere. But in that lies Narcissism and a Megalomania equaled only by Sun-Tzu liao. Imagine Hanse Davion giving his wife half the CapCon as a wedding gift. The walk to the alter was paved in blood.

#32 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 04 October 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

It's all lore and fluff. Houses Steiner and Davion are technically allied, but they're still rather different. Here's a basic rundown.

Davion: Generally the white knights, based on mainland Europe and big on honor, duty, fighting, and autocannons. Currently led by Hanse Davion, or "The Fox," a brilliant and shrewd tactician.

Steiner: Based mostly on modern-day Germany, House Steiner is all about big 'Mechs. They mostly fight defensively, where movement isn't as big of a deal as armor and firepower. Also the "merchant house" of the Inner Sphere, so quite wealthy. Mercs like them.

Kurita: Based on medieval Japan, this house follows bushido to the extreme, but with the up-and-coming Theodore Kurita, their tactics have changed to challenge Hanse's military strategies. Honorable, but deadly.

Marik: I honestly don't know much about them. Little lore, other than the House is usually embroiled in one civil war or another. Based on a mix of Indian, American (North and South) and other ethnicities At the moment, not fighting anyone, and high manufacturing capabilities (will become important in the Clan Invasion).

Liao: Mostly Chinese in ethnicity. Generally depicted as the "bad guys," Liao is often led by an insane Chancellor who thinks the universe literally revolves around them. Currently Romano Liao, who's... well bat poo insane. However, they have surprisingly good technological advancements, including the Raven.

Rasalhague: The FRR is fairly new, and made mostly as a buffer between House Steiner and House Kurita, so it contains a mix of the German and Japanese folks, with a majority of Scandinavian. The "official" language is Swedenese, a horrifying mix of Swedish and Japanese.

As for mercs, it's a grab bag. The Wolf's Dragoons have "mysterious" origins, and a vendetta against House Kurita, the Kell Hounds fight solely for Houses Davion and Steiner, the Snord's Irregulars search for ancient artifacts (and actually usually pretty important, considering how older technology is better than new, due to the way BT fiction works), etc.

And of course, there's "original" units being made, as well as more diversified units within the House Units. For example, according to fluff, the Skye Rangers technically fight for House Steiner, but are often trying to free themselves and become a separate nation. Similar to Ireland in the 20th century.

And of course the "Clans," who left the Inner Sphere 200 years ago, fought amongst themselves, formed a warrior society, and may or may not (in RP terms) be pushing through the Periphery right now. *cough* A lot of people came into BattleTech when the Clans were introduced, so they identify with them. At the moment, we can only declare for a House or Merc unit. Clan folks are going to have to wait.

And that's my wall o' text. Message me if you have any questions. And thanks for supporting MechWarrior!

What about the FedCom. civil war, where Davion and Steiner were enemies?

#33 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

That's not for a few years yet, after the clan invasion.

#34 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostBurktross, on 23 October 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

What about the FedCom. civil war, where Davion and Steiner were enemies?

Trevnor pretty much sums it up. It doesn't begin until the mid 3060's, I don't think. I was just speaking in general terms of what's happening now. Katherine usurps the throne while Victor is away fighting the Clans, ends up killing her mother, and all sorts of nasty stuff. And to all the Davion fan-boys who scream "Death to Steiner!" at the beginning of matches I'm in, the Federated Commonwealth is gonna remain for the next decade, at least, and the Skye Rangers helped Victor's troops capture Tharkad. Katherine is almost as nuts as Romano, and we in the Isle of Skye recognize that. But at the moment, she's barely out of high school and very much out of the public eye. Victor's the heir-to-be, and currently sitting on Trellwan, where nothing could ever happen *cough cough*.

#35 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 23 October 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Trevnor pretty much sums it up. It doesn't begin until the mid 3060's, I don't think. I was just speaking in general terms of what's happening now. Katherine usurps the throne while Victor is away fighting the Clans, ends up killing her mother, and all sorts of nasty stuff. And to all the Davion fan-boys who scream "Death to Steiner!" at the beginning of matches I'm in, the Federated Commonwealth is gonna remain for the next decade, at least, and the Skye Rangers helped Victor's troops capture Tharkad. Katherine is almost as nuts as Romano, and we in the Isle of Skye recognize that. But at the moment, she's barely out of high school and very much out of the public eye. Victor's the heir-to-be, and currently sitting on Trellwan, where nothing could ever happen *cough cough*.

I would point out that it was not on the basis of Skye that they fought on Tharkad. That unit was technically rogue after the unit leader decided that it was not worth fighting anymore. during your 3rd or 4th rebellion in 10 years.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users