Dear, New Hunchback Pilots

88 replies to this topic

#41 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

dunno, my 9 medium laser hunch is murderous.

Its all about getting used to allowing yourself to take a hit or two in order to aim well. This thing makes amazing short work of things when it slaps 9 med lasers at once in any mech's head.

#42 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostSkyfaller, on 08 October 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

dunno, my 9 medium laser hunch is murderous.

Its all about getting used to allowing yourself to take a hit or two in order to aim well. This thing makes amazing short work of things when it slaps 9 med lasers at once in any mech's head.

oh yeah, a well aimed concentrated fire of that many can be devastating to any mech, trick is alot of people can't aim :(. why i tend to chain fire mine tho. if they turn their side into your attack, you just blew alot of heat and spread out that damage over 3 or 4 parts instead of coring them out or cockpiting them. i can usually handle laser boats like that on my Atlas tho. i steer my arms or something into the barrage. i would rarely end a match with only my CT destroyed. i most often will lose both arms at least before i go down.

#43 AntiSqueaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

One trick that I have found that works out well in playing mediums, not just the Hunchback, is to try and not run out by yourself. Either support your Assaults/Heavies, or find 1-2 other Mediums and make a wolfpack.

Also, LRM boats love to have a medium chill back with them and scare off Jenners. I had one such pilot propose intercourse after such a match, and to say the least, it was amusing. Rushing out and dying is overrated, and teamwork wins the day.

#44 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostAntiSqueaker, on 08 October 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

One trick that I have found that works out well in playing mediums, not just the Hunchback, is to try and not run out by yourself. Either support your Assaults/Heavies, or find 1-2 other Mediums and make a wolfpack.

Also, LRM boats love to have a medium chill back with them and scare off Jenners. I had one such pilot propose intercourse after such a match, and to say the least, it was amusing. Rushing out and dying is overrated, and teamwork wins the day.

yeah the other day, me and a friend just hopped in a Hunchback each and wreaked some havoc on people. most times against one target we'd run strait in and split off left and right of him and hit from both ends, that confuses the hell out of most people and takes them down fast :(

#45 JT Black

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 230 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

This mech can take a lot of damage people tend to underestimate his potential thinking its a easy kill.
In good hands you can draw lots of attention and get away with murder...
Keep your ammo safe dont pack up where u can Boooom

#46 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

maybe when the AC20 gets a buff i'll like the 4G variant better, but till then i'm a 4SP man ;)

#47 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Dear hunchies.

If you have a 4P you can do massive damage with a 9 medium laser strike. But the heat is huge.
Advice: Don't miss. Don't fire wild in a brawl. Take time to get the perfect shot. Wait for the next perfect shot.

#48 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 07 October 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Dear hunchies.
You are not a gun.

You are who you chose to be.

#49 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

View PostKrazy Kat, on 06 December 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

Dear hunchies.

If you have a 4P you can do massive damage with a 9 medium laser strike. But the heat is huge.
Advice: Don't miss. Don't fire wild in a brawl. Take time to get the perfect shot. Wait for the next perfect shot.

yeah i have a buddy that loves that 4P. pack that shoulder with medium lasers and you got yourself an AC20 in laser form. he teamed up with my Awesome 8Q for a few matches and we were just cooking people :blink:

#50 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

I love the 4SP. Typically run a 250 engine w/double HS (87KPH) and endo. Loadout varies;

5ML + 2 SSRM + AMS if I feel like hunting lights
4ML + 2 SRM4 + AMS if I feel like having a bigger punch

Mix it up in a brawl? Sure thing.
Go cap their base? Sure thing.
Run back and get lights off our cap? Sure thing.

Fight long range? No thank you.
Lead the charge? No thank you.

#51 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostKrazy Kat, on 06 December 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

Dear hunchies.

Toyed around with my 4P a bit Friday before settling on:
250 standard, 18 DHS, 8 ML
Manageable heat, 87KPH movement, 40pt alpha - and your heat goes down while chain firing.

#52 Grifthin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I like my 4P - Currently running:

Double heat sink upgrade, nothing else.
7 Small Lasers
2 Large Lasers
18 heatsinks
std 200 engine

320 armor

Fry things at range with the larges, if they get in close start firing grouped smalls. If I get hunch blown off I still have a large in left arm and small in head.

#53 MainEngDwarf

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I like to go with the LBX 10, 2 med pulses and 1 med. Seems to work well for me

#54 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

"Lets go through cave / tunnel / small enclosed area" is the moment I bang my head against the table as a Hunchback pilot. No no no! Let the heavies or assaults go that path - its a death trap for a Hunchback. I need to weave in and out of skirmishes, I need to retreat and come back full force, I want to break free!

Best moments I've had with my Hunchie is usually when paired up with a Centurion or Dragon, those are the other chassis that usually share the way of the Hunchback and its tremendous fun!

#55 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Dear Hunchie pilots,

I love you all. Never give up the dream.

4SP is god tier.

#56 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostGrifthin, on 09 December 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

I like my 4P - Currently running:

Double heat sink upgrade, nothing else.
7 Small Lasers
2 Large Lasers
18 heatsinks
std 200 engine

320 armor

Fry things at range with the larges, if they get in close start firing grouped smalls. If I get hunch blown off I still have a large in left arm and small in head.

i want to see someone, somehow cram 9 Large Lasers on that thing.... alpha strike and hope you don't explode :P

#57 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

well i did a similar thing with my Atlas post due to a few matches i've seen. i've similar mistakes made by some hunchie pilots or what i think i would call "wanna-be-an Atlas" hunchback pilots. gotta use those legs people. staying still is your enemy

i've had some spare time (and alot of C-bills) to play around with some fits.

the 4SP is still my favored variant. i enjoy its versatility and long term staying power.

5 Medium Lasers, 2 SRM6 x2 ammo
15 Double Heat Sinks, STD engine 260. Endo Steel

don't need to worry about the exclusive fit of short range weapons. this guy moves at 84.2 KPH (92.7 with speed tweak)

it can nearly pace with and out gun lights and move quick enough to avoid alot of the heavy firepower of the assaults. it works well as a flanker or distraction as well. the number of times i've run wide outside border of the map to drop in right behind their lines were fun and broke them pretty well. the thing is you need to control your trigger finger. dont let them know where you are until you are ready to attack. i ran past 3-4 mechs before that missed me cause they were looking the other way, but if i shot them my cover would have been blown. nothing is more fun that giving the can opener to an unsuspecting catapult that felt safe in the rear line with his LRMs :)

in close combat tho, it's nimble enough to make Stalkers and Atlas dam near unable to get a clean shot on you if you keep slipping back and forth out of their twist range.

Edited by Leded, 12 March 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#58 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

View Posticey, on 08 October 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

dear hunchbacks

when the base starts getting capped, the 'somebody' on your team who needs to get back there to stop it is usually you.

At 85-90kph there is no reason a few Hunchbacks shouldn't break off and stop the cap. Except, maybe, if there are a few Centurians with bigger engines floating around.

#59 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

yeah i am usually one that volunteers to return to base. i have the speed and the firepower to divert a base cap even by an assault mech, especially if they are damaged, then i enjoy picking them apart ;) (stalkers hate me)

#60 sarpton

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

My current 4H build. Its a bit slow but I really enjoy it. Best part is its cheap enough that you don't have to grind to long to get all the parts to make it work.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...28f13e6aec07419

Edited by sarpton, 12 March 2013 - 01:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users