Open beta starts next week

172 replies to this topic

#141 abriael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostRobottiimu2000, on 11 October 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

I just want to raise my voice of concern about the unfinished nature of the product going open beta (which in itself is fine) but the fact we start losing our paid subscription during this time imho feels a bit like robbery of the good will (and the money) of the founders. Though I'm hoping everything goes smoothly and fine and I find my concerns to be unnecessary.

thanks.

You don't lose anything, as your paid subscription only gives you enhanced rewards in terms of cbill and xp. It doesn't gate any content away. Considering that there won't be a wipe, all your paid subscription entails (IE: the additional money and experience it makes you earn) will be carried over permanently and you won't lose it when and if you decide to play for free.

As a matter of fact, it gives you an advantage over those that will start playing after you, so the earlier it starts going into effect, the better for you.

Edited by abriael, 11 October 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#142 Sheriff x

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBlue trails of smoke-haze lifting in the cockpit while Betty screams incessantly

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

I'm absolutely floored at the fact that there are idiots on here that think this game shouldn't go into open beta, almost to the point of hitting the basement.

Yeah, I know, that was a bad one.

You have to be delusional to think that the game should do anything but the aforementioned from the developers. Let's just keep doing closed beta with this, or what will be, same / stagnant population of players... rather than opening it to the public to help get a much better statistical awareness of the need to's and do not's.

I'm glad that none of the "OH GOD, DON'T DO OPEN BETA" folks are the developers... we probably wouldn't have even got a trailer.

#143 Dodger79

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

Yeah, all the idiots that founded the game with cash so you can play it for free. And these idiots gave real money because they want to play the game for a long time. And this will only be possible if the game is well accepted. But unfortunately the acceptance would not be very well in the current state. So yes, keep on flaming the paying idiots that wish for an enjoyable game you can play for free, they surely deserve it...

#144 abriael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

View PostDodger79, on 11 October 2012 - 01:35 AM, said:

Yeah, all the idiots that founded the game with cash so you can play it for free. And these idiots gave real money because they want to play the game for a long time. And this will only be possible if the game is well accepted. But unfortunately the acceptance would not be very well in the current state.

Because you can of course talk for how everyone will "accept" the game in the current state (or better, in its state next tuesday).

I'm one of those, and I don't feel like an *****. Quite the opposite.

#145 Dodger79

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

View Postabriael, on 11 October 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

Because you can of course talk for how everyone will "accept" the game in the current state (or better, in its state next tuesday).

I'm one of those, and I don't feel like an *****. Quite the opposite.
Dude, just look at all the rage in the forums right now. If even hardcore fans think that the game kinda sux at the current state, how do you think will average gamer joe see MWO as a product? Fun to play and happy to spend some money for or annoyed by lags, non explaining features and gameplay and getting stomped in badly balanced trials as a pug by a bunch of premades again and again?

I might be too pessimistic, but you are way of in complementing PGI for really not smart decisions. You say our problems aren't representative and so everything will be just fine as it is for you right now. But what if you are the exception that you accuse the ones with problems to be and the game really is ****** up in the current state?

#146 abriael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

View PostDodger79, on 11 October 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

Dude, just look at all the rage in the forums right now. If even hardcore fans think that the game kinda sux at the current state, how do you think will average gamer joe see MWO as a product? Fun to play and happy to spend some money for or annoyed by lags, non explaining features and gameplay and getting stomped in badly balanced trials as a pug by a bunch of premades again and again?

Everyone with an even small experience in MMOs knows full well that the forums aren't in any way representative of the actual community. Whiners tend to be a lot more vocal than those that are busy actually playing the game because they're having fun.

The average gamer joe will probably see MWO as a quite enjoyable beta of a product (that's what it is). Looking around at basically every press site that wrote a preview of the game, the vibe is very positive, and most journalists that wrote them are average joes in their tastes. The usual overly-critical forum-dwelling "I know better!" basher isn't.

I might be too pessimistic, but you are way of in complementing PGI for really not smart decisions. You say our problems aren't representative and so everything will be just fine as it is for you right now. But what if you are the exception that you accuse the ones with problems to be and the game really is ****** up in the current state?

Considering that the game has thousands of people online every evening, it's quite obvious that I'm not an exception. The game doesn't have more problems than the average beta. Hell, it doesn't have that many more problems than the average MMO at release. GW2 still has plenty connectivity and server problems for instance, and it has been released almost two months ago.

War of the Roses is, after release, in a quite similar state as MWO is now. Guess what? People playing it love it despite the fact that it's overly challenging, buggy, sometimes laggy and does very little to explain what you have to do. And people have to pay 29 bucks to play it.

For a beta that doesn't force anyone to pay, MWO is in a good position in comparison.

Edited by abriael, 11 October 2012 - 02:10 AM.

#147 Dodger79

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

I really hope that you are right but i fear my concerns turn out to be more accurate then your optimizm. Players aren't that forgiving and with nothing to pay there is no reason to stick to the game atleast for a little while. First impression is not good, then why bother to play any longer or wait for patches, you lose nothing by turning your back at this one and move on to just another f2p. If you have actually bought a game you will be more angry but you certainly give it a second or even third try after some patches.

#148 Sheriff x

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBlue trails of smoke-haze lifting in the cockpit while Betty screams incessantly

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

View PostDodger79, on 11 October 2012 - 01:35 AM, said:

Yeah, all the idiots that founded the game with cash so you can play it for free. And these idiots gave real money because they want to play the game for a long time. And this will only be possible if the game is well accepted. But unfortunately the acceptance would not be very well in the current state. So yes, keep on flaming the paying idiots that wish for an enjoyable game you can play for free, they surely deserve it...

It speaks volumes of your intelligence when you brag (on the internet, over a video game) about how you spent more money than another player.

My car in real life is more expensive than your car.

Do you see how childish you just made this...? Lol, God, this idiocy.

#149 abriael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

View PostDodger79, on 11 October 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

I really hope that you are right but i fear my concerns turn out to be more accurate then your optimizm. Players aren't that forgiving and with nothing to pay there is no reason to stick to the game atleast for a little while. First impression is not good, then why bother to play any longer or wait for patches, you lose nothing by turning your back at this one and move on to just another f2p. If you have actually bought a game you will be more angry but you certainly give it a second or even third try after some patches.

Actually that's quite the opposite. F2P games don't gate content after a subscription or a purchase, so if a game doesn't immediately satisfy you, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from coming back and checking it later.

If there's something that actually worries me is that the payment model of MWO is excessively lax. It's so unintrusive that it doesn't really compel the user to pay for the game (everything you pay for is cosmetic, mechs can easily be purchased with cbills), so I wonder if PGI will manage to fund the game on the long run.

Edited by abriael, 11 October 2012 - 02:25 AM.

#150 Dodger79

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

View PostTenth Hammer, on 11 October 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

It speaks volumes of your intelligence when you brag (on the internet, over a video game) about how you spent more money than another player.

My car in real life is more expensive than your car.

Do you see how childish you just made this...? Lol, God, this idiocy.
It's not about "my car is bigger then yours", it's about foundery that kind of kickstarted this game for free players now getting insulted by these. THAT is stupid. Or do you also insult tax payers for them paying for things like infrastructure, healthcare, education? You get something for free and insult the ones paying for your free pleasure, that' s not as smart as you seem to think...

#151 abriael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

View PostDodger79, on 11 October 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:

It's not about "my car is bigger then yours", it's about foundery that kind of kickstarted this game for free players now getting insulted by these. THAT is stupid. Or do you also insult tax payers for them paying for things like infrastructure, healthcare, education? You get something for free and insult the ones paying for your free pleasure, that' s not as smart as you seem to think...

You're not being criticized because you paid for the game. You're being criticized because your knee-jerk reaction to open beta doesn't make much sense.

#152 Dodger79

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

View Postabriael, on 11 October 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

You're not being criticized because you paid for the game. You're being criticized because your knee-jerk reaction to open beta doesn't make much sense.
We will see in the next weeks. If you are right i will be very happy. If i am right a game will die that i have waited a decade for. The risk for the latter is there and PGI is willing to take it. Hopefully it all goes right...

#153 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

http://i.qkme.me/3rambm.jpg

#154 MeerKatV

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

View PostHyzoran, on 10 October 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

I am skeptical, however something tells me that PGI wouldn't decide to do this unless they had one hell of a patch planned for next week, maybe its already done and they are doing extensive testing to make sure they get it right for Open Beta..... hopefully.
I think you hit it right on the head. The tricky part is getting such a major patch to run stably. Several members of my clan are just waiting to see if MWO will run acceptably on their systems after having pretty bad experiences before ("slideshow" was the most common description). The way the next patch performs will pretty much determine whether my clan drops in or not into MWO.

Edited by MeerKatV, 11 October 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#155 Dodger79

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

Do not forget: the devs also said that the last patch would be some kind of miracle patch, too, with the new engine and all the improvements it should have implemented...

#156 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

It will be interesting to see the new players and how they cope with the trial mech experience.

#157 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

Well, I think Open beta is to soon because of Matchmaking,not enough maps and only one game mod.
But only with the flood of players from an open beta you get enough data do some really usefull balancing. And Piranha gets hopefully more money xD

Edited by Lyrik, 11 October 2012 - 05:05 AM.

#158 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Zeitgeist doesnt depend on first impressions.

#159 DoctorJest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationBourne, UK

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

View Postabriael, on 11 October 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

There's a lot of people who by that measure have posted in this thread and have wasted their time in doing so - could they enumerate all the issues AGAIN and still be ridiculed by the credulous?

Perhaps blindly supporting the developers when there are clearly concerns to be met is equally short-sighted.......surely all the concerns that have been listed are simply figments of the imagination caused by an over-preponderance of cash?

Is it close to being ready? I would assert that yes, undoubtedly it is......but there are a couple of notable hurdles to be navigated and their existence isn't even up for debate.

#160 Banshee Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 431 posts
  • LocationUncomfortably Close

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

I was really hoping to have 12 mechs by the time open beta started, oh well.

It was a lot of fun when founders opened up the place, hopefully open beta will have the same effect.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users