Bryan Ekman and Russ Bullock on Open Beta

235 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

As closed beta draws to an end we would like to take this moment to thank those that participated, without their help we could not have gotten this far.

At first hearing about the Open Beta launch many of our players will feel concerned and say to themselves “Why go open beta now?” or “wait it’s not ready yet because ‘X’ feature isn’t implemented”. Therefore we would like to explain as best we can as to why the time is right to enter open beta.

Perhaps the simplest way to explain things is that we feel our closed beta players have done all they can and simply they are fatigued by closed beta. What I mean by this is that closed beta can be trying mainly because all of their hard work gets wiped on a regular basis and even though we continue to have tens of thousands of unique players playing each day there are many that are waiting to spend their time when it really counts. There are many other reasons but that one is reason enough, it has become time for us to open our doors and allow all of our great players to start progressing towards advancement that they can keep. Also to that point it has become time for us to let in an entirely new batch of players to continue to help us generate the metrics and data which will help us craft the best game possible.

In no way does going open beta mean we are slowing down with our development and improvement of MechWarrior Online. I can assure you we have identified an unlimited amount of work and improvements were working through week by week and day by day. An example of that content plan:

Greetings Mechwarriors!

With Open Beta nearly upon us I wanted to take time out to you about some of the cool new features and content we're going to be releasing.

Camo Spec

In early November we'll be rolling out the first pieces of our visual customization feature set. First out the gate early in November will be a new section inside MechLab called Camo Spec. Players will be able to customize the base skin and up to three colours using a simple graphic interface. Each application or change will have a range of costs, with premium content costing a small amount of MC. Players will have access to free base colours and a default skins to start with premium content being rolled out with each new update.

Cockpit Items

In addition to customizing the outside of your BattleMech, players will be able to decorate the inside of your cockpit with some cool decorative items like fuzzy dice and the family’s hula girl.

Decals

By early December, players will be able to apply pre-made decals, and soon after that, their own player created art! The decal feature will roll out with the first parts of Community Warfare. Yes I'm teasing you, yes I'm sorry. More details will have to wait for a later post this month. In late October and November we'll see more content in the form of the Cataphract, a new alternate map, the remaining BattleTech gameplay features (Artemis, Active Probe, ECM) new skins and colours, along with a new game mode called Conquest. Oh and let's not forget our first Hero BattleMech. It's the < REDACTED >!

We’ll see you on the battlefield,

Bryan Ekman and Russ Bullock

#2 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

First.

I hope the next patch at open changes a lot more for the better than what this last patch did honestly.

Please tell me you are fixing the console bug, the grainy arse graphics and adding more maps. Not to mention the FPS hit over water.

Edited by Viper69, 10 October 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#3 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

And you will not be officially starting premium time riiiight?.... Please don't.

#4 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 10 October 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

And you will not be officially starting premium time riiiight?.... Please don't.

open beta=Start of time unless something drastic needs reset.

#5 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Good luck, guys. I wish you every bit of success possible.

#6 Pitstarter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Probably already set in stone, but adding my voice to the "don't start premium time" at this point in proceedings.

Game nowhere near ready to start the premium clock ticking.

#7 LMPS97

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Will the Closed Beta players lose their cbills?

#8 The King in the North

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 778 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinskaya obl., Ozersk

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Ok! It's all great but WHEN Open Beta start? I dont get it. Mb 16 October with huge patch?

Edited by BlackyCat, 10 October 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#9 Smoke Banshee

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 10 October 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

Oh and let's not forget our first Hero BattleMech. It's the < REDACTED >!
It's the Yen-lo-Wang, come on guys, you can just say it. It's not that big of a surprise. The Flea on the other hand . . .

#10 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostLMPS97, on 10 October 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

They're resetting everything at least one more time when open starts.

#11 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Last patch made this game unplayable for me again. Even on minimal settings its back to 4 FPS. Open Beta means start of my premium time. If things won't get fixed this week myself and a lot of people like me will be really really mad.

No matchmaker so to speak of, horrible lag after last patch, still present FPS drops, lots of other bugs ... I'd say this thing won't be ready for Open Beta at least till 2013.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 10 October 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#12 The King in the North

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 778 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinskaya obl., Ozersk

View PostLMPS97, on 10 October 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

When the open beta start - ofcourse!

#13 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeah, I hope the next patch is BIG! ;)

#14 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostViper69, on 10 October 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

I hope the next patch at open changes a lot more for the better than what this last patch did honestly.

...and adding more maps.

Well, the patch at least achieved what it was intended to do.

Also: "nubnub volal, pozri si priečinok s hrou." (you will know what to do with the text, hopefully) ;)

#15 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostAdridos, on 10 October 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Well, the patch at least achieved what it was intended to do.

Also: "nubnub volal, pozri si priečinok s hrou." (you will know what to do with the text, hopefully) ;)

What was the intent? To give me celluloid images out my cockpit?

#16 Funbags

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

http://www.dualshock...egin-next-week/

The next phase of the test, that will be open to everyone, will begin on Tuesday, October the 16th, while the Founders Program (that provided quite a few perks and access to the closed beta) will be officially discontinued on the 14th.

That official?

Edited by Funbags, 10 October 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#17 MrWhite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Add me to the "don't start premium time" yet vote as well...

#18 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Well crap there goes my $5.00 I was sure you would hold out to 12v12 new game mode and Cataphract like you said you were. Sounds like your not.

#19 Vulture2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

all the hate about last patch and you decide to go open beta? :/ i really love the game.. every kind of it.. but i think this may kill it for anyone but hardcore fans ;)

now it will be in everyones mouth and all will see that incomplete stuff and the bugs and it will get a lot of bad reputation... you should wait till mid of december or something.. or are you running out of money or something? :rolleyes:

to a modern gamer its simply like that: when a game is tested once, and doesnt provide what they want, they will never come back :wub:

Edited by Vulture2k, 10 October 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#20 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

I knew it was the 16th even tweeted it to them. They gave it away in the registering the keys for the PC gamer code. After you register the key it tells you that the keys will take effect the 16th. it only took two seconds for me to think its dropping the 16th because open beta is starting, its even what I told my buddies on TS last week when I got the Mag.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users