#121 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostMetro, on 19 March 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

I know several hundred people who jump jetted their way around urban settings, some were good others not so much.

as for a yes or no, or right or wrong.

too each their own.

I ran a 4 THOR lance, that tore up anything anyone thought about throwing at us.

So much so, they changed their ways.

NO MORE JUMP JETS !

Kind of ironic since the Summoner is famous for it's jump jetting abilities.

Personally I like to hide in a city and fire out from it, not many maps like that but I love picking a building or standing on a rooftop dropping LRM's on a distant intruder, then hopping down a building when they return fire.

As for actual in-city combat, I'll do one of two things:
1- Load up a mid-size assault mech with double LBX20AC's and an array of ER Medium lasers and cruise around hunting, or much more often (and way more fun)... ->
2- Something quicker like the Storm Crow (I use that mech for literally everything...), even with the stock Alternate A loadout with the LBX10 and 6 ER Mediums, great city fighter. I'll sacrifice a laser for a pair of jump jets. I also keep everything in the torso for city fighting, it's easy to get an arm blown off if you're not quick enough to hide behind a building. Then again, I'm thinking classic mech design, not these weird MW4/MWO hardpoint systems.

I even like taking a heavier light mech ~35 tons, packing in an LBX20 and some ammo, maybe an ER Medium or two... still pretty fast and I hunt for already injured enemies. I only do the light mech thing if I have several teammates, playing 1v1 like that against any larger mech is suicide even for a good pilot. Rapidly changing directions in an urban environment is near impossible aside jump jetting,

Oh yeah, and always carry ECM and run passive. Then only time I run active is if I'm doing my Jenner with triple Streak SRM-6's thing, needs the active radar to guide.Sometimes on the Storm Crow if I have space I'll carry an active probe for picking up signatures better through buildings, flip on active and locate them then flip back to passive immediately. I'm good at radar tricks.

Edited by lonewolfsx, 07 July 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#122 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostSkyefox, on 07 July 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

In a city, its all about electronic warfare. BAPs, ECMs, and TAG are required equipment. Enemies dug in around some buildings? Lase them for your Arrow IV equipped teammates way back and watch that cover turn into so much rubble. In a city, there's usually nowhere you get an opportunity to run full speed, mostly because those places are straight lines of sight that someone definitely has eyes on.

Mediums and heavies with a mix of short to medium range weapons are my favorite, with a couple long range support elements is the way to go, imho. Depending on how much you can actually destroy, I'd expect a few players to hollow out nice little cubbies in the blind side of buildings and just wait for a big dumb Atlas to waddle on down....

just go full Atlas each with 2 AC10's and a AC20.
When in doubt... do it the Steiner way.

#123 Drenar

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDillon, CO

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I dunno about all the Heavy and Assault proponents here, but I never run a city map in a 'Mech that weighs more than 55 tons.

Now granted, I'm rarely over 55 tons anyway, but that's beside the point. . .

My favorite Urban story took place in the Tesla II pods. I ran my custom Stormcrow (5 ER Mediums, 2 SSRM6's, BAP, ECM, AMS) against a Battlemaster IIC. Over the course of a 10 minute match, I killed him maybe 8-10 times, and only died once. My one death came because I deliberately let him splash on me so my death would count as a suicide so he wouldn't get the kill. (He had mostly been talking smack and annoying people)

Disclaimer: I let him choose everything, his 'Mech, my 'Mech, the map we dropped on, the conditions, etc. . . It seemed the only way to make things even remotely close to fair given the differences in our skill levels.

#124 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

First rule of Mech Combat in a city - get rid of the city

#125 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostDrenar, on 07 July 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

I dunno about all the Heavy and Assault proponents here, but I never run a city map in a 'Mech that weighs more than 55 tons.

My favorite Urban story took place in the Tesla II pods. I ran my custom Stormcrow (5 ER Mediums, 2 SSRM6's, BAP, ECM, AMS) against a Battlemaster IIC. Over the course of a 10 minute match, I killed him maybe 8-10 times, and only died once. My one death came because I deliberately let him splash on me so my death would count as a suicide so he wouldn't get the kill. (He had mostly been talking smack and annoying people)

Disclaimer: I let him choose everything, his 'Mech, my 'Mech, the map we dropped on, the conditions, etc. . . It seemed the only way to make things even remotely close to fair given the differences in our skill levels.

Well, Citys are one of the area alot of Heavy's/Assults are viable, and ill reason it with this.
Unlike a forest or desert, there alot of cover, ALOT, though you may be slow you can almost always have a wall between you and the enamy your closing on, also being so slow, your always able to use all your speed in the city, unlike a light who may suddenly haft to slam the breaks and take a slow turn, and when you finaly close in on the target their going to be in alot of trouble, if you and your teamates work together you can pin in a target with 4 atlases with above cheazy build and shread them.
(also before someone goes attacking me "LOL BUT WHAT IF THEY HAVE JUMPJETS, WHAT IF THEY BETTER, YOUR IDEA IS STUPID CAU-..." its a example, not me saying assults will always win no matter what.)

#126 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorthern California, Terra

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostDocBach, on 07 July 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

First rule of Mech Combat in a city - get rid of the city

The half you don't want, anyway ;)

#127 lonewolfsx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostDrenar, on 07 July 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

You have a very similar Storm Crow layout to mine. Those SSRM-6's are super effective in between alleys and streets and you still get hits even if they try to duck behind a building. ER Medium Laser is my bread and butter weapon, every one of my mechs has at least 3 or more boated for point defense in singles or finishing kills. I don't carry AMS in a city though, I'd rather have jump jets, especially against heavier mechs where most are running LRM's anyway which aren't super effective close quarters (still hurt if dumb fired though).

#128 Lunchmeat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:16 AM

View PostHavoc2, on 19 March 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

In MW4, passive radar, a lot of direct fire weapons, and a knowledge of where your teammates are is the only way to do it.

A few matches BDU would run our "street sweepers". Daishis with 3 LBX20s and 2 LBX10s. 1 shoot, enemy is on their a$$. 2 shots they're in their ejection pods.
These things were slow, heavily armored, and even more heavily gunned. They would knock an enemy Daishi on its arse.

My other favorite was a Hellspawn with about 6 erMLas and 4 SSRM4s. Run around active 'cuz no one thought a medium could do much. Run back and through and in and out of buildings/enemy 'Mechs and fire until I ran out of ammo before I got killed more times than not. A lucky leg shot is a quick way to ruin your day though.

In mech4 I used a similar street sweeper, a Daishi with 6 clanlbx 10s. Serious coring machine lol.

#129 Stormmiker

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

I could see three basic ways I'd fight in a city environment, personally.

First, if it's possible, take a Stalker, swap the LRMs for SRMS, and the large lasers for mediums, and load up on armor, then Kool Aid Man through the city. Sure, the enemies might have a deadly ambush set up, but just how likely are they to keep their cool when they hear the buildings coming down and 85 tons of fun suddenly stomps through that wall they were hiding beside? Of course, when they start to panic is when the rest of the lance jumps in to finish the job. Because the only thing better than bringing an assault mech to blow the enemies up, is bringing an assault mech to play bait for the enemies.

Alternatively, if it is a map I know well enough, I might take a Jenner, and play street racer. Seeing something flash past your ambush point and hit a corner at over 100 kilometers per hour might just be enough to take your attention off that Atlas sauntering down the side street. If not, well, I'll be back around in a few seconds to help provide a more lasery distraction. Soon as I figure out if that was my second or third left...

The third option I'd pick on my own, is this happy little scenario. Picture my mech, laying back, relaxing, maybe sipping some lemonade, not even bothering to enter the city. Just waiting, then it happens. A blip on my screen, I press a button, and the weather forecast changes from sunny to cloudy with a hail (of missiles). The enemy pilot who just got pinged laughs to his lance, hops behind a building, and starts talking about the noob who just trying to launch some LRMs at-he's vaporized as 80 missiles level his mech, the building he was hiding behind, and the city block that building was a part of. Suddenly the enemies are scrambling to find cover, and find the mechs that are playing fire support, when the three members of my lance jump them, while my four LRM-20s send love notes to demolish the city. There's a reason the planetary government organized the battle in a city that was condemned, after all.

Of course, if the people who make the game actually go so far as to populate the cities, then I might be a little more inclined to drag the fighting into the outskirts. By which I mean I'd stay out of the cities, unless I needed to take it to win the match, or avoid losing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users