Are most ready for 1 shot kills in this game

224 replies to this topic

#1 BduSlammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

some of the battlemechs in this game will be taken down with one shot from either a ac-20 or gause round will people drop out if they want light mechs and that happens

#2 FallguySoldier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

Or being shot in the legs. With one leg down, you're crippled and can't move. Two legs down, you explode.

We don't have a problem with this when fighting against the AI in single-player MechWarrior games; hell, we take advantage of it as much as possible. But against real players in a MMO community? Oh, I can already see the raging that's about to unfold...

But yeah, one-shot kills is just as bad if not more.

#3 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

So we're basing this off of Pre-Alpha video? Or maybe the TT rules?

I'd hold off for a bit :D

However, to answer you question, No, I don't see many "new" people to the universe willing to stick around if 1 shot kills abound. There will always be the hardcore fans of the IP willing to except it, Sim fans who like it, or that Niche market.
Or those who do not like to wait for the match to be over will gravitate towards the Dropship game mode, where they can get back into the action quickly.

I would't worry too much. Thats what balancing is for. And PGI has already stated they'd be tweaking and pushing out new content regularly. We're in good hangs methinks.

Cheers,

Edited by Helmer, 20 March 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#4 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

C'mon guys, we've gotta stay negative on this one!

#5 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostBduSlammer, on 20 March 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

some of the battlemechs in this game will be taken down with one shot from either a ac-20 or gause round will people drop out if they want light mechs and that happens

Half the point of being in a fast light 'Mech is to outmaneuver the bigger guys and whittle them down and, heck, even kill them if you're good enough. Small 'Mechs have killed big ones in both tabletop and MW4 (despite the balance issues in the latter). Is a Jenner screwed if an AC/20 nails it? Yes, it is, but that's just part of the game.

#6 Stovebolt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCotton Candy Skull Island, TX

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

Heck yeah, I'm ready. I mean, I really doubt it'll happen, but if it does, I'll just like the game MORE.

But then, I'm a niche market - WWIIOL is my favorite gaming experience of all time.

#7 Stone Profit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostBduSlammer, on 20 March 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

I believe the point is, if youre in a light mechs, youre not supposed to get hit. Use your agility and speed to out pilot other, heavier mechs.

#8 Alaric Wolf

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

I don't know who you're fooling, but an AC20 ruins ANYONES day. Not just the light mechs. :D

If a light mech gets into AC20 range on a heavy or assault mech? Someone forgot the first rule of scouting.

#9 DeathJester6099

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

Just repeating what other are saying. If i'm stupid enough to get caught out by a heavy with a big gun, then i deserve to be one shot killed. Lights are all about manuverablility.

If anything else i will learn quickly enough! :D

#10 Kay Allard Liao

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, it would be nice if the damage and armor of the Mechs is realistically scaled. And that means that light Mechs can be one hit targets.
But thats the Battletech Universe and fans are prepared for this to happen.
But I think it will take more damage than expected, especially to keep the casual gamers in playing MWO

#11 wwiiogre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

yep, get hit by gauss or AC20 when you are in a light and you deserve to die. But hey, I will still be piloting lights and mediums. Cause you can even head shot the big boys and they are out. Might take a few more tries but the whole David vs. Goliath things seems worth it. Especially if you are David and it works.

chris

#12 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

im not worried about it. people will try scouting and if they are bad at it then the one shot happens. they will then move on to larger mechs and be happier.

#13 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

Whole point is you need to hit that speedy Jenner with the AC20. Not always a easy thing to do. IF the Jenner can turn real easy, yeah have fun wasting ammo.

#14 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

I didn't see any one-shot-kills in the gameplay trailers, and those involved Jenner Scout Mechs fighting against Atlas and Hunchback Mechs armed with AC/20s and LRM/20s.

#15 Alaric Wolf

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

I think the problem is that when people get into a light or medium mech but have the play style of a brawler. You can't go toe to toe with the big boys, and doing so just makes you salvage that much faster. This isn't a flaw in light mechs, its a flaw in your way of thinking/fighting in a light mech. You take that same play style to a heavy, or assault and it will make more sense to you and be a more comfortable gaming experience.

Its been said time and time again, Armor = Staying Power. If you're not sitting on 20 tons of armor, you shouldn't be walking up to the Atlas expecting to punch it in the face. :D

#16 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

People will be just as unhappy when they get headcapped in an assault. But that's why playing against other human beings instead of some pathetic npc opponent is so much more challenging, fun, and rewarding.

#17 xwolf12x

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationJolly old England

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Cantwait itll proberly be one of those moments where everyone who sees has a nerdgasm :D

#18 gun master

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationoldham UK

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

well one shot kill may get people mad about it. but first there thing how kill people one shot killer mechs from long shooting or see any week point for it. if still can't kill that one shot mech they will go mad. best people not useing one shot killer mech is will clans as team killer list one of the list it say. somthing is destroying the game no one having fun
like one shot killer mech is on the battlefield that mech have to shutdown is best not use it a lot if that list is on mwo game.

Edited by gun master, 20 March 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#19 DrHat

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDenmark, capital area

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

my view is this:

Suppose I am in a Warhammer and you're in a measly 15(or less) ton mech, and you decide to go toe to toe with me in the same manner as something equal to or greater than my size, or you simply make yourself easily available to my ungodly amount of guns (even if by accident or luck on my part)..sorry but you're going away, fast..very fast..and there is absolutely no reason it should be any other way.

#20 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

Who knows what will happen once it is released, but those of you who think it's a lights pilots fault that they are hit by something like an AC20 are being ridiculous. A mech, even a light can only move so fast, a weapon will always travel much faster and a good gunner is going to be able to hit a light with almost any weapon. This isn't table top where you have roll modifiers. A pro pilot or gunner is going to able to hit fairly consistently even against lights. It happens in MWLL all the time, luckily the armor is scaled up so much that lights can usually take an alpha against anything but the heaviest armed mechs.

Edited by Zypher, 20 March 2012 - 08:04 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users