3rd Person View?

24 replies to this topic

#1 MasterHunter

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Will you be able to play the game in another view than the cockpit view?
I don't know about you, but IMO 3rd person is way cooler since you get to see your mech in action...

#2 Dnarvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, B.C.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Not Sure, I know that people have been mentioning this is more of a sim type game, so I figured only cockpit veiw, with the possibility of rear/side cameras (maybe just me, but it would be nice). I'd prefer to not have a 3rd person veiw, as that way you can see more than an actual mech pilot would. I love games that adhere more to a simulator type than using 3rd person veiws.

#3 Mellowbloom

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

This is my first game of this type and I'm really looking forward to playing from the cockpit view. 3rd person kind of ruins the immersion.

#4 John Wolf

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

Will likely be cockpit only, I haven't seen any mention of 3rd person views since as Dnarvel said its a sim style game. Besides, if you're running around admiring your own mech you're gonna get chewed up. You're going to need all of the 1st person view you can get to target things in front of you.

#5 Midgie

Swaybacked

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 192 posts
  • LocationThe unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

I believe it is only first person view (i.e. form the PoV of the pilot).

#6 Evil Ash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

Maybe the UAV drone is a way of doing it.

#7 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'd like to see this as an option, but not the rule of course. :D
I think it would help with Jump-Jetting... :D

#8 Fecal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Interesting question.

Every Mechwarrior game has had 3rd person but it never served much of a functional purpose (other than to admire your mech). I would love to have it just as an aesthetic thing. Take out the HUD and the crosshairs so people can't use it to cheat and I see no problem.

#9 John Wolf

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Maybe you can admire the mech in the hangar or drop bay. Get a good look at it, screenshots, etc. better than worrying about what you look like on the battlefield.

#10 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

This again? overall, last time this was talked about, the sense I got was no to third person.

Aside from the fact that it ruined the sim styling, it can also be to much of an advantage as it gives you a better view of you surroundings, incoming fire and makes Jump Jetting far easier.

So I go with no. Anyway, It's a sim, not an over the shoulder shooter.

#11 Ryan Wiebe

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

personally im a fan of First person only, its much more immersive in my opinion.

3rd person also gives an advantage in being able to see around corners or over hills without exposing your mech, this was much abused in previous games, i believe this is in the dev's mind, and they seem to be mindfull of this, previously metioning lack of FOV sliders to avoid advantage to certain players

Edited by Ryan Wiebe, 20 March 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#12 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

The game is first person only.
from FAQ

Q. Will you be able to switch from first-person to third-person views?

A. The game is played from the first person. We’re exploring ways to have a third person camera that make sense from a gameplay point of view.

Edited by Damocles, 20 March 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#13 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

I liked 3rd person view, but since when can you use that to spot the enemy around a corner without revealing your 'Mech? (Realistically, I mean.)

#14 zwaps

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Gondor has no third person view.
Gondor needs no third person view.

#15 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

From the FAQ:

Q. Can I get out of the Mech?

A. Will you be able to get out of the Mech? No. One of our gameplay design pillars is that we are putting you in the role of the pilot (MechWarrior®) in a first person perspective.

-----

Q. Will you be able to switch from first-person to third-person views?

A. The game is played from the first person. We’re exploring ways to have a third person camera that make sense from a gameplay point of view.

MWO is being designed to be played primarily from a first-person POV.

The Devs have evidently not-completely-discounted the possibility of a third-person POV once they can do so in a way that will "make sense from a gameplay point of view" - that is, to implement it in a way to not turn it into a tool to look around walls and over hills while the 'Mech remains completely behind cover, a situation that supported the "pop-tarting" and "wall/hill-humping" that became prevalent in MW4 and many FPS games.

#16 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostDamocles, on 20 March 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

The game is first person only.
from FAQ

Congratulations Damocles! You are our big winner! Tell him what he's won Mr Announcer!

Damocles, as an experienced player of the forums you win the admiration of respect of everyone who reads this thread. Your answer, check the FAQ and or Use the Search feature was indeed the right answer!

And because we love each and every one of our contestants that attempted to answer the question before, you know you're all winners in our books just for signing up for the forums, tell them know what they get as a consolation prize!

Because you're a swell group, we've decided we don't want you going away empty handed, so thanks to the fine fine people at Kaemon Industries ( Kaemon Industries, Don't you deserve the very best in Mercenaries? ) we're able to provide you with this shiney, brand new New Players start here thread!! http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/

Thank you to all of our contestants for playing! We hope to see you all again very very soon.

Have a good evening everyone and please remember to have your Pets spade or neutered.

Until next time everyone!

Cheers!

Edit: Because I'm an ideeyut who can't spell.

Edited by Helmer, 20 March 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#17 VarietyOfCells

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 904 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNYC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

First person makes the most sense, and is what I'm excited for. Gives you the feeling that you are actually piloting a mech. Though a rear camera would be very helpful and practical. Hell, a lot of new cars even have a rear camera. In fact, considering there are no rear view mirrors, how else are you supposed back up and not squish some poor mechanic in the mech bay? This is a saftey hazard and I will not keep quiet until it is implimented!

#18 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

i'll admire the enemy's mech before blowing it away. i'm sure you get a chance to admire your own mech in the mechlabs

#19 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

I am excited about the 1st person pov. I 'll bet that there will be plenty of 3r person views within the game context, ie. survellience drones or satallite views.

#20 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yeah! I won! WooooO!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users