Am I the only one who doesn't like Hunchbacks?

83 replies to this topic

#1 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

I have never liked this mech. I understand why people do, don't get me wrong, I'm just not one of them.

Canon says it's a city fighter, which makes sense, because it has too many drawbacks (IMO) in any other role.

Here's how I see it: it gives up too much for that AC 20... And everyone knows it has that big gun, which makes it an instant target. Frankly, killing a hunchback is prob the most efficient way of taking enemy offensive power off the battle field. (medium mech, no closing abilty, no long range weapons, its certainly more efficiant than taking on larger mechs with AC 20s) If I'm in a mech with any long range power, hunchies are my first target.

/put on flame resistant suit

#2 Tvae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 203 posts
  • LocationPort Sunkissed

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

I don't think you'll really need a flame resistant suit for this. Although it is something of an iconic mech with its large shoulder cannon, it does have somewhat of a niche role cut out for it with city fighting, and tends to be looked down on in many other combat environments. I've seen a fair deal of anti-hunchback sentiment on the forums because of that fact.

Personally? It's definitely not my favorite, and there are many mediums I would (and plan to) take over it. Does it have a place? Certainly, in the right situations it could definitely make a mark. But for the most part, I'm content to leave it on the wayside.

Edited by Tvae, 21 June 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#3 FoXabre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

I've never really liked it based on the look. I'm sure it fares well in combat but I've just never piloted one. It may rise in the ranks based on the magic you can work on in the Mech lab.

#4 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Definately not one of my favorites. I think I have three of them for the TT game and havent even primered them. I cant think of a reason why I would get one in MWO when the two current choices are already better, Trebuchet for fire support and a Cicada for high speed recon. In a city fight I would take a light with JJ as I plan to anyway.

#5 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

The best place for a hunchy is taking out your legs. I'm hungry!

#6 Roger Wildcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 237 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Luckly for you that there is at least 12 other mechs to choose from. :P

#7 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

i don't like it much either, but i can see it's ability to take a beating as well. I think the Centurion is superior since it mounts it's maingun in the arm where it's faster to aim.
But then again that gives it a problem with the recoil.
Having that AC 20 in the torso makes it slow to aim which lowers it's offensive capabilities by quite a lot unless you manage to ambush someone.
It's too slow to get within range if it is outside a city. So a fast light mech with a large laser or any kind long range weapon can tear it apart with inpunity.

But i do like how it's medium lasers are mounted.

If it mounted LRM's in place of the AC 20 things would be a different matter entirely.

#8 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

Didnt like it before, but this new one to me looks really cool.

#9 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Never played the TT version, only video versions.
I "liked" the mech for its functionality but I always felt I was "right side blind" by the big 'hunch' in the way, lol.
MW4Mercs made this even more pronounced. Made it sometimes difficult when the drop was team only or no radar.
Just had to be careful and not be the 'middle' of the furball.

#10 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

It's not a mech I particularly want to play, but I most definitely want to see them on the field & play against them. I'd have been flabbergasted had it not been included in the starting lineup.

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,829 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

The hunchback will be a viable mech in game because of the mech lab. People will be able to refit even the prime version with an AC-10, LB10X or Gauss for ranged response. That takes the mech from heavy short range brawler to well armored generalist and even sniper.

As a chassis, it's not as sexy as the centurion, but it does have presence. and that massive hardpoint load means that the variants can carry a heavy payload for a medium mech. What it doesn't do is move faster than a heavy, but tradeoffs are required in inner sphere tech.

#12 Braedin

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

no you are not. i have never liked the hunchback. used them a few times. only way making is useable outside a city defense or base defense is removing the big fat ammo hogging ac 20 and putting in a ppc and large laser with additional heat sinks.

#13 Xune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

In envirment with lots of cover to use i like it. On open field i would rater drive a Harraser

#14 collosus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArgentina

As for my personal taste, I rather much like the hunchback, but not on it's base config (the 4G); I would take it on a mix config (4N) or a pure laser boat (4P).

EDIT: grammar

Edited by collosus, 21 June 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#15 Promptus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationMatamoras

View PostVasces Diablo, on 21 June 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Hunchbacks?

Yes.

But on a more serious note I've never been much of a fan. I like the concept of a Heavy mech in a 'bite-sized' package but it's too lumbering for my tastes from a medium mech standpoint. When I put a medium on the board or in a drop I just expect a little more... maneuverability.

#16 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

i like the new look and you cant go wrong with a large gun and a couple med lasers. just sit behind a building and wait for someone to wander past. its a fatal error

#17 Robovski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I find it a rather specialized mech, in that it needs to ambush or have an enemy that will not move away at speed (and those tend to be bigger mechs). So while I don't hate it, I don't love it either. It was never my 'founder' choice when I was going to have to choose.

IMO while it is nice to think of an AC/20 hit shattering a right torso or blowing off an arm, but it is a rather limited weapon for the investment of weight and ammo. At this weight class you are better off with smaler yet still concentrated damage weapons, like the Gauss or the PPC or even AC/10 for better reach and still able to breach lights while burning scars in bigger mechs.

#18 Odweaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hunchback - At least it isn't an Urban Mech.

#19 Maveric

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

With the right pilot, it's a sweet and devastating ride.

#20 Boarneges

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Depends on what you can do in Mech Lab, really. Give it some more speed at the cost of armor or a lighter weapon and you could really hurt someone if you manage to flank him. Fact that it's a short ranged brawler makes it great for ambushes aswell.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users