Feelings on legging/heading?

69 replies to this topic

Poll: Feelings on legging/heading? (215 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support legging/heading of 'Mechs in combat?

1. No way, only honorless scum would succumb to such tactics. (31 votes [14.42%])

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

2. Whatever gets the job done quicker! (184 votes [85.58%])

Percentage of vote: 85.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 xMarshallx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

This was a topic for hot debate for years.. so, what are your thoughts? Is it a completely viable tactic? Or is it considered "cheap" or "honorless" to those who really follow the lore?

Sniper

PS - Sorry, someone was going to post this so I thought I'd just have the first crack at it :)

#2 Valerian Mengsk

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

Battletech may be fiction but to put onself in the perspective of the BT universe wouldn't you do anything to ensure that the enemy is defeated as quickly as possible to prevent casualties on your own side?

#3 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

It's a viable tactic, and if you can actually make that sort of shot, then you should be rewarded for it.

#4 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

It's a viable tactic, even the Clan Wolf warriors on The Rock were legging Red Jack Ryan's mechs when Phelan Kell saw them:

"Myomer muscles ran like water and boiled away where they touched the titanomagnesium femurs that held the Panther upright. The lasers amputated the Panther's legs with surgical precision. Its legs cut out from under it, the Panther smashed flat on its back and did not move as the dust stirred up by its fall quickly drifted down to coat it with a red blanket."

Although we shouldn't have MW3 style legging. Hell, destroying both legs should only immobilize a mech, any remaining weapons should still be used. This might come in handy during team battles, your scout mech could retreat towards your immobilized Atlas friend to have him finish off that Hatamoto Chi that wants to kill you.

Headshot should be really difficult to make and boil more down to luck. I'd rather that the damage would be randomly transfered to the LT or RT 90% of the time.

#5 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

If stuff like the Pack Hunter ever gets introduced, that thing will be headshots galore.

#6 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

"Sweep the leg."

#7 diana

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I like living legends type, when mech loses a leg, its immobile, when it loses both, it falls down and is basically a turret. Or a frog, if it has jets.

#8 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

Jump sets with no legs should damage the torso more.

#9 Arkansas Warrior

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTake a wild guess.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

All is fair in love and war. Unless I'm misremembering, this a wargame, gentlemen.

#10 Snowflake

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

I think head shots can make thing very interesting. Its great when a light mech takes out a heavy with one shot.

#11 Mike Theumer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

Personally, the mech is more valuable without the pesky pilot keeping me from my salvage. A nice head shot solves that problem.

#12 Red Dox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

As said before, its all fair and square in love & warfare. And if someone wants to get some good salvage parts, gunning the legs and finish with a headshot is the way to go.

-----Red Dox

#13 Outlaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 321 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Hope and Glory

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

I have a feeling with how much the devs have been playing table top they will probably have some sort of Cone of Fire that will represent the pilots skill, so legging and be-heading mechs may actually be less common. This is all speculation of course but i think it would make for an interesting change.

#14 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

Legging is great tactic, players endlessly whine about it in MW4 Mercs which makes me do it more, as for headshots, they should be difficult and rare to pull off.
Thoughts of light mechs downing heavies and assaults all over the place, through headshots, sounds like MW4 all over again!.

#15 Bull Kyger

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

I am a strong believer in what ever gets the job done. I am sure allot of you here played in the league wars. We use to leg an enemy and leave him. If he committed suicide then it was a kill for the other team. If that ability is available in MWO. Then I can see allot of issues arising.

#16 K Wilson

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationFrozen Northlands

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

I'm of the 'Been playing the tabletop for too **** long' school; If I blow off a Marauder's leg with a lucky hit from my Centurion, then use the same leg to beat another 'mech into scrap, it's a good day.

Headshots deserve just as much love, though, hopefully, the usual array of bullshit headcappers (Gauss Rifle and C-ERPPC to name the two worst offenders) have a low rate of appearance. I like the idea of the pilot being bashed around until unconsciousness, not 'Blam, yer chunk salsa', which is what happens once you get the weapons that do 12+ damage per hit. :)

#17 phelanjkell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

I believe a system like mechcommander would be a great solution to the legging issue. A mechs leg can be destroyed which basically means it is crippled and drags it along. This would reduce the mechs speed, turning speed and possible the mechs ability to jump or scale incline in terrain. This would solve the 'oh my leg is blown off, i'm useless laying on the ground' but now you could continue the fight, but if the fight left you... well your still alive.

#18 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

Torn, I'd be rage quiting foreva if I was constantly getting my head cored at range and they were relatively uncommon on the earlier games

#19 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Shooting actuators should be very difficult and said components should be very durable so either way attempting to do so should be a waste of valuable time and in some cases limited resources.

#20 capt stompy

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Three people are SJ's. :)

Edit: Leg them. Them as in the SJ's. You won't regret it. :D

Edited by capt. stompy, 02 November 2011 - 03:58 PM.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users