Feelings on legging/heading?

69 replies to this topic

Poll: Feelings on legging/heading? (215 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support legging/heading of 'Mechs in combat?

1. No way, only honorless scum would succumb to such tactics. (31 votes [14.42%])

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

2. Whatever gets the job done quicker! (184 votes [85.58%])

Percentage of vote: 85.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

Legging is purely canon, as seen here from MW2:Mercs end movie.

Posted Image

Although i do like the small cone of fire idea, or a crosshair like the first Dues Ex

Edited by CoffiNail, 03 November 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#62 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Well allow legging with a cone of fire, so that it's hard to pull off without proper tactics and timing. Then it won't be the broken crazyness that was.

#63 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Cone of fire is a valid idea which would approximate the canon situation of the combination of less-than-stellar targeting technology and the movements of a 'Mech which would be much more similar (and organic) to what an actual human body would do rather than the mechanical implementations which have been possible in a video game to date. Accuracy should be much less precise than what most FPSes have fooled people into expecting, which is why effective ranges for pretty much all energy and ballistic weapons in Battletech are much shorter than you might think.

Any tactical advantage is useful in actual battle. Restricting yourself to attacking your enemy head-on where they are strongest is just poor tactics.

#64 jezebel

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Gamers - and jeez, MechWarriors in particular - need to get past these silly ideas of "fair vs unfair", "honorable vs dishonorable".

If you're not in Zellbrigen, there are no rules. And I'm pretty sure "no legging" wasn't a rule of Zellbrigen anyway.

Everyone knows this was a rampant problem in MW4 - not the legging, the whining about being legged. Gamers need to learn to copy what kills them and use it to their best advantage (short of hacking, obviously). There's a reason some players excel and some players plateau.

#65 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

Cockpit shots are a skill feat and should be hard to achieve.

Legging? No I never aim at the 'mechs legs, but if the leg is red/damage, that's where the next shot goes because obviously a low armor region.

My comment to leggers is always, "the legs don't shoot back", meaning your likely to take as many shots at the legs as the arms and torso to bring down a 'mech, but while you are standing there with just a few weapons left, I have all mine and you just ejected.

Edited by Lightfoot, 03 November 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#66 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

View Postjezebel, on 03 November 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

Gamers - and jeez, MechWarriors in particular - need to get past these silly ideas of "fair vs unfair", "honorable vs dishonorable".

If you're not in Zellbrigen, there are no rules. And I'm pretty sure "no legging" wasn't a rule of Zellbrigen anyway.

Everyone knows this was a rampant problem in MW4 - not the legging, the whining about being legged. Gamers need to learn to copy what kills them and use it to their best advantage (short of hacking, obviously). There's a reason some players excel and some players plateau.

Yeah, I think you're right.
It seems like the problem in MW4 was:
  • Lots of people skimped on Leg armor in order to load MOAR DAKKA (and pretty much everyone stripped head armor on most mechs since headshots were actually rare/difficult).
  • The same people got upset when they were killed (when they were shot in the areas where they had almost no armor) by legging. So they complained loudly and convinced themselves that legging was "dishonorable."
  • The cycle continued and intensified.
Maybe it was the fact that weapons were much too accurate that resulted in the emphasis on maximizing weaponry, well probably that and human nature...

Truth is, reducing your opponent's mobility is a time-honored valid and effective tactic, and it should remain so.

Edited by KnowBuddy, 03 November 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#67 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

View PostRed Dox, on 02 November 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

As said before, its all fair and square in love & warfare. And if someone wants to get some good salvage parts, gunning the legs and finish with a headshot is the way to go.

-----Red Dox

That's how I got new equipment in Mechwarrior 2 mercs... cockpit hits were basically free money, since the dynamic salvage system rewarded you for not maiming the entire Mech, it was simply less expensive to repair the damage... just hose out the cockpit... replace a few electronics... BAM, a used 'previously enjoyed' Catapult is now yours! for the low low price of that other guys life!

#68 Tempered

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

I think that entirely ripping a leg off would be a fairly impressive feet and quite rare. Now making a leg inoperable would be perfectly legit and common. Shoot up enough armor to penetrate the muscle bundles and you would have no feasible means of locomotion :) The internal structure would still be in place, so no falling over unless the mech lost balance.

#69 Johnathan McKenna

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 88 posts
  • LocationKerensky Cluster

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

There is nothing dishonorable about shooting the legs out from under your opponent. It simply shows your superior skill.

#70 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

It's fully viable, but it should also be difficult.

I mean - legging maybe not so much, but legs tend to be one of the more durable locations on a 'mech - often even more so than side torsos.

Cockpits, It tends to be difficult at best to hit them in the first place, especially while both you and the opponent are scooting about.

But that said, I don't think that weapons should perfectly hug the crosshairs, instead firing in an area around it, eventually narrowing with skill, as well as depending on the speed you're travelling. A stationary 'mech should have a better chance of hitting, while a 'mech that is mid-air after or during a jump should be finding it difficult just to land shots, much less hit specific locations.

The problem with legging was the flaw in the game programming itself. Blowing off a leg doesn't cause a 'mech to explode brilliantly - it cripples it, but it can still maneuver to shoot back. Of course, if the people that be opt to make a blown-off leg equate to insta-death as with Mechwarrior 4, then a greater proportion of armor should be going onto the legs, shouldn't there?

Edited by ice trey, 03 November 2011 - 10:21 PM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users