32 replies to this topic

#1 Snowseth

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

MWO will not run on OSX.
Bootcamp (or similar dual-boot) running Windows is required.

Getting that out of the way first thing.

Who here has successfully run this game on their Mac?

If so, which Mac was it? What are it's specs?
CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD/etc

How was the gameplay experience?

What settings or configurations were used?
(I've seen reference to a user config file for the game, but have not found the thread).

Please refrain from snarky/snide/unhelpful comments.

I have not run this game yet, and I am close to buying a new pricey 15in MBP, which has the following specs:
2.6 or 2.7GHz Intel Core i7 w/ 6MB L3 Cache CPU
8MB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
700GB SATA HDD can be configured for a SSD (128/256/512GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M w/ 1GB GDDR5

Given this hardware and Bootcamp w/ Windows 7; how would it handle the game?

Edit:
http://www.codeweave...e/?app_id=10772
CrossOver for OSX. Seemingly allows Win games to run on OSX.
Has anyone had luck using this instead of Bootcamp?
How did it work out?

Edited by Snowseth, 16 October 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#2 Happypig

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Who here has successfully run this game on their Mac?
CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD/etc

My laptop:
Macbook Pro Retina Display 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7/NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M/8 GB DDR3/512 GB SSD
(basically the middle option given when choosing Retina MBPs)

I'm running MWO using Windows 7 with Bootcamp

The game crashed with "High" graphics settings. I switched to "low" just to get things running, and have not fiddled more with it (more play, less fiddling!)

"Low" graphics settings used, as it reliably works.

[edited out specs of a possible new system]
Given this hardware and Bootcamp w/ Windows 7; how would it handle the game?
Very well indeed :P

Edited by Happypig, 16 October 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#3 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

simple guide to mac hardware

step 1 :
don't do it to yourself

#4 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

You do know that a MAC is made with the same hardware as a PC(same CPU, same GPU, same RAM, same PSU). The only hardware difference between a MAC and a PC I believe is the motherboard(IIRC, MAC motherboards have a bios chip required to run the MAC iOS, which is why you can get a MAC to run Windows, but a PC can't run iOS). The hardware requirements would be the same either way.

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 17 October 2012 - 05:12 AM.

#5 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

As Barbaric Soul points out, Macs are just PCs with a half-eaten piece of fruit on the front. Whatever the PC requirements are for the game, that's what the Mac requirements will be.

Macs just aren't about the hardware. They're about the complete Apple experience, and so, rather than a technobabble guide, here is quick and easy flowchart to make sure you're getting the most out of your Apple Experience

<REDACTED>

I hope this answers any questions.

Edited by Dakkath, 30 July 2013 - 01:05 PM.
Removed off topic stuff

#6 Swiftfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Mac/Linux users might try Crossover games. You can try it before you buy it. They say Diablo III runs under it, so it should work with MWO.

#7 nostra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

I currently run the game on my dual-booted 2012 Macbook Air, it actually runs the game quite well aside from a few graphical issues here and there. All in all I'm pretty happy with the game experience I've had on it so far, although as soon as I can afford it i'm getting a true gaming PC.

#8 Snowseth

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostSwiftfire, on 17 October 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Mac/Linux users might try Crossover games. You can try it before you buy it. They say Diablo III runs under it, so it should work with MWO.

I'm hoping someone will give this a try. I haven't bought a new MBP yet.
My only concern is that some CryENGINE games apparently didn't run properly.
But if it's a good option that works out well, this would be great option to avoid the dual booting (for those who don't want to do it).

#9 Aixelsyd

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

MacBook Pro 15.4 running on external 32" samsung tv via hdmi
bootcamp win7 ultimate 64bit
i7 3615QM @2.3GHz
4Gig ram
500Gig 7200rpm

Excellent gameplay, no graphics issues whatsoever

using the Stock "High" settings
1366x768 res

#10 Cerender

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 28 posts
  • LocationGreenfield, NY, USA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

I was running it on my 27" iMac (2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 - 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB - Win 7) I say was because... the graphic card seems to have toasted itself. Lots of pretty lines at initial boot and will no longer boot into Windows 7 or Mac OS. It was working well enough but I wanted to upgrade... I got my wish I guess.

So now I'm here looking at recommendations to just build a gaming PC again.

#11 Max Jinas

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Macbook Pro, 2.2GHz Sandy Bridge i7, AMD Radeon 6750M with 1GB

With all settings at "Low" the game is still unplayable. When more than five mechs are on screen and shooting, frame rates drop to the 2-3fps range (I kid you not, it's like watching a slideshow). I've manually updated my graphics drivers to catalyst 12.10, but haven't seen any improvements.

#12 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

I just ordered a MacBook Pro 15 with Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM - 2,60 GHz - Quad-Core - 8 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M / Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 1 GB GDDR5 and might need some help for installing Windows ... what performance do I have to expect from this notebook ?

#13 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

My iMac runs it fine at 2560x1440 with all settings maxed (looks great, too)

Core i7 3770
32gb ram
geforce 680mx

My retina macbook pro runs it ok at 1920x1080 high settings (except shadows?)

Core i7 something
32gb ram
768gb ssd
geforce 650m

I don't use the above for gaming much, mainly for processing my photography work, etc.

I do have to say - the game looks fantastic on the Apple displays. Especially after calibration with a Spyder

View PostCerender, on 28 October 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

I was running it on my 27" iMac (2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 - 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB - Win 7) I say was because... the graphic card seems to have toasted itself. Lots of pretty lines at initial boot and will no longer boot into Windows 7 or Mac OS. It was working well enough but I wanted to upgrade... I got my wish I guess.

So now I'm here looking at recommendations to just build a gaming PC again.

Might be worth going to apple.com/support and entering your serial number. check to see if there's a repair extension - there just might be.

View PostSnowseth, on 18 October 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'm hoping someone will give this a try. I haven't bought a new MBP yet.
My only concern is that some CryENGINE games apparently didn't run properly.
But if it's a good option that works out well, this would be great option to avoid the dual booting (for those who don't want to do it).

its BAD - just use bootcamp

Edited by Fierostetz, 30 July 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#14 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

I really just think a high-end Sager is a better investment, even at less money than the top end MBP.

#15 ConanTheGamer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I'm running MWO on my iMac. It has the i5 2.7(?) Quad core, 8 gigs RAM, Terra byte hard drive, and (I believe) the invidia 4580 HD graphics chip (512 VRAM). I'm at work right now so I can't give you my exact specs but if it ain't right, it's close. I'm running Snow Leopard on it right now. I can't give you the exact info for Lion but maybe I can point you in the right direction. First thing if you have any major questions go to the Apple website, there is plenty of info there. All you should have to do is go over to the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the screen and type in bootcamp, it should take you there. The first time I installed it, it pretty much went through the whole thing without any problems. The were some fires close to where I live, so I shut it down and took it over to my mothers house until the threat was over. When I plugged it in the Apple side was working fine but the Windoze side wouldn't come back up. Long story short I had to reinstall Windoze. It wouldn't work with the graphics chip(drivers). One of the connections on the back of the iMac is the an (apple proprietary) video connection. I bought an adapter that went form the proprietary connection to a VGA connection and plugged it in to my HD TV(VGA connection/cable) so I could see what I was doing. Once I was able to download all the updates the video was working normally. The only thing that gave me any problem was the (wireless) Magic Mouse. The wireless keyboard would work but the mouse wouldn't connect. I just use a regular mouse (I hate spending money on batteries anyways). Bootcamp will pretty much walk you through it without any major hiccups. But if you have any problems let me know and I will see what I can do to help you. My profile has my twitter, google+ and it should notify my email account if you like it or respond to it.

#16 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostFierostetz, on 30 July 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

My retina macbook pro runs it ok at 1920x1080 high settings (except shadows?)

Core i7 something
32gb ram
768gb ssd
geforce 650m

What FPS rate do you get with your MacBook Pro with the GeForce 650M ?
How much VideoRAM do you have ? I have only 1 GB :wacko:

I got a MacBookPro9,1 Modell:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) MacBookPro9,1 MD104xx/A15.4"/2.6 Quad-core i7/2x4GB/750-5400

Edited by M E X, 01 August 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#17 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Think it was 35-40 fps with shadows turned off. playable, but not great. I did try at the retina max res - very slow, but looked awesome!

and for all the discussion about pc vs. mac - I personally have both. PC for games, macs for photography work. There's a reason certain industries are 90% mac, and a reason other industries are all PC. Some opinions are best kept to yourselves.

Edited by Fierostetz, 01 August 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#18 Rykiel

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 01 August 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Think it was 35-40 fps with shadows turned off. playable, but not great. I did try at the retina max res - very slow, but looked awesome!

and for all the discussion about pc vs. mac - I personally have both. PC for games, macs for photography work. There's a reason certain industries are 90% mac, and a reason other industries are all PC. Some opinions are best kept to yourselves.

Try all settings on low -- my laptop has a GT 650m, and I get 40-60 fps, even in the most intense fights (my resolution being 1600x900).

#19 Bobby Bolivia

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

I run MWO on a 27" iMac with an i7, 8gb ram and a Radeon 6970. I run it on high with no issues at all in Windows 8

#20 lofwyrm

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Locationcologne

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

I am playing on a WIn 7 virtualised via VMWare and
running on a iMac "Core i5" 2.5GHz 21.5" with 12 GIG ram ( late 2011)

I am not facing ANY issues the graphic and sound are working pretty good.
During the game the mech is responding good and the gameplay is good too.

only the overheating of my HUNCHBACK HBK-4P is annoyng but I am not sure if this is something to do with my Mac :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users