Melee in 'Mechs

120 replies to this topic

Poll: Melee in MWO? (456 member(s) have cast votes)

Well?

1. Hell yea! Give me my Axeman! (314 votes [69.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.01%

2. Maybe? (67 votes [14.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.73%

3. I dont care. (17 votes [3.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.74%

4. Not only no but HELL no! (57 votes [12.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TriggerhappySOB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 129 posts
  • LocationMCAS Miramar, California

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Okay so i'm sure this has been brought up somewhere, but somehow I cant find it. I love what the dev's are doing with this game, however Id like to see a little something extra. Notice how some 'mechs have seemingly useless arms with only a claw or a fist, or even arms with weapons that have a claw/fist? Maybe its just me, but Id like to see something along the lines of this in game...
Posted Image

Okay so I know not every 'mech will be suited for something like an Atlas punching the pilot out of the cockpit of a War hawk... but we all know there's 'mechs specifically designed to get in close and do some REALLY close quarters damage. For instance:
Posted Image

^Not an official MWO 'mech, just some fan art, but remove the melee capability of this 'mech, and Its no longer effective for what it was designed for.

On the whole, I think it should be a game feature that you can use in one of those "oh ****" situations, and if you use it wisely, as a way to keep some pilots from getting too close to you. As for how they would implement it? I'm not entirely sure yet, and I was hoping to get some feedback on it.

Thoughts on the subject?

#2 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

This was actually addressed directly by Brian at the Mech Madness event at Nvidia HQ today. I'm assuming since it was a livestream that anything said there is part of the public domain, so please don't ban me for talking about game mechanics kthx.

According to Brian, they're going to be implementing a collision damage system at launch for last-ditch ramming attacks and to prevent mech-hugging while they work on a proper, more robust melee attack system to implement later post-release.

#3 TriggerhappySOB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 27 July 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

This was actually addressed directly by Brian at the Mech Madness event at Nvidia HQ today. I'm assuming since it was a livestream that anything said there is part of the public domain, so please don't ban me for talking about game mechanics kthx.

According to Brian, they're going to be implementing a collision damage system at launch for last-ditch ramming attacks and to prevent mech-hugging while they work on a proper, more robust melee attack system to implement later post-release.

This... this is good...

#4 Arfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationMianus, CT

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

I was very bi-polar when I played TT. I was either a sniper or a melee type. I would love to have melee in this game.

/channel Beavis_and_Butt-head
JENNER-BASEBAAAAAAAAALL!!!
/channel

#5 Scrap Pile

Rookie

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Sounds good, melee attacks will be awsome if done right.

#6 PlzBanMe

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

I don't know much about this mech warrior thing but it is really dumb for a melee weapon to be added. If it sticks with your mech no matter what you have equipped sure why not.

Edited by PlzBanMe, 27 July 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#7 TriggerhappySOB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostArfer, on 27 July 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

JENNER-BASEBAAAAAAAAALL!!!

Thank you my good sir for making my day with this mental image! I literally laughed out loud :P

#8 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

There are some sound reasons not to have it in at all, from gameplay and 'realism' arguments but it's also very much canon and can be a lot of fun so long as it's never 'easy mode win'. In fact, it really ought to be very much a last resort for most mechs and not necessarily desirable even for those mech adapted or built from the ground up for it. Personally, I'd like to see it be very ineffective and extremely likely to do more harm to the aggressor than the target until the pilot has spent time in dedicated mechs training for it. After that, I'd like certain mechs built for it or those adapted to it by grabbing a melee weapon to be effective for pilots with the skill tree and a very bad idea for most other pilots.

#9 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

The way collision was explained at MM, it seemed to do damage to both mechs, and the smaller of the two mechs involved in a crash would almost always be knocked to the ground. Right now, it's definitely not a win button. It's more like an "I have no ammo, no arms, and no respawns left - BRING IT ON" button.

#10 Justicier

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Very much looking forward to seeing how the devs will implement melee attacks... need to make use of those arms on the Spider :P

#11 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

I will look forward to the devs NOT implementing melee (other than dfa, ramming) in the game for whatever reason and keeping with tradition of MechWarrior titles and it not being in the game.

#12 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

I just get this vision of rockem sockem robots

#13 zorgoth

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

personally i like melee attacks. played a round of the boardgame once and it really just gives you one more reason not to get close to the annihilator knowing it can kick for 20 damage...

#14 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Now, let's think about this in terms of the canon. We're in 3049. Next year, the Clan War starts. We get mobbed. We eventually win, after a few years, but most planetary defense forces are depleted. What do we use?

IndustrialMechs. Yep, that's what I see coming from this. Logger-Mechs with chainsaws. MinerMechs with...uh....I think it was some kind of industrial hammer, but I don't remember. And you know what? I'm looking forward to it. This way, you can get some melee light mechs with very little armor and speed, but are capable of killing in close-range. Then there's Axeman. I'm drooling over that thing. Melee Medium mech? Yes, PLEASE. Atlas punching a Jenner into a wall? Very nice. Atlas refitted with melee weapons....never gonna happen, but would be nice. Valiant, with the axe and shield, another cool design. Melee opens things right up, and fits better with the canon where mechs are rarer. Granted, we all get mechs now, but what's to say they don't implement tanks and other units for us to tinker with.

As a final note, there's one last thing I think melee might open up for with the Clan invasion, and something that's got a couple of friends of mine, plus myself, extremely excited. Elementals.

#15 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

I would like to whip out some Mech-Fu every once in a while. :P

#16 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

View Postzorgoth, on 27 July 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

personally i like melee attacks. played a round of the boardgame once and it really just gives you one more reason not to get close to the annihilator knowing it can kick for 20 damage...

Wait till you run into a homemade Atlas with a club.

#17 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

i need hitting in game or im going to be stuck in the ******* support roll forever (please not i took the ax mans srm and put lrm) in their so i was either ok deadly at long range or very friken deadly in close combat dont know why but its been my play style in everything.

#18 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

From the FAQ:

Q. Will MechWarrior® Online™ have Mech melee combat?
A. At this point in time we are not looking at melee combat. We may revisit melee combat if we can design something that is fun and does not compromise the overall gameplay experience.

While the FAQ is pretty old, there have been a few replies to similar threads by devs that say they want to implement melee, but only if they can make it awesome and fun. Which is cool by me, since that should be the criteria for what gets into a game.

#19 Dream Seaker

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 27 July 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

ya, collision damage is the only form of "melee attack" i would like.

i just don't think something that should be in MW:O

Edit: sorry it posted twice?

Edited by Dream Seaker, 27 July 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#20 Wo0m3rA

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSydney AU

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

The tabletop rules/settings from Battletech are the very foundation of anything MechWarrior, and as anyone who knows the miniatures game rules will point out - Melee is covered under advanced rules.

So in other words "yes" melee combat should be implemented into any current PC based incarnation of the BT universe, it's a feature that's been lacking from prior versions of MechWarrior.

Other tabletop game features which require consideration for the PC version are the abilities for 'mechs to kneel or go prone and make full use of terrain for cover - once again covered under Battletechs advanced rules, and like melee, used by players of the TT version for near on 25 years.

Edited by Wo0m3rA, 27 July 2012 - 08:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users