Flashman would be a solid choice for 75 ton mech

61 replies to this topic

#61 Kill Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

Been a fan of the Flashman since MW2 Mercenaries.

#62 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

View Postwanderer, on 04 December 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

That's why I note the actual design is Theodore Kurita's in this case.

What happens is this: Kerensky's Orion chassis gets so badly beaten up it's discarded shortly before the Exodus. It's refit by the Combine when they find it with current tech and given to Theodore as a present when he's leading the dregs of the Kuritan armed forces, the Legion of Vega- and later used with a decoy pilot to distract an angry horde of enemy pilots while he makes his escape. (Yes, that's the canonical story kids.)

The Theodore-refit version is mostly 3025-era tech without the snubbie- perfect Hero 'Mech material.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 December 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

BUT Kerensky's Orion was lovingly restored to 3025 tech by Theodore's Auntie. So we could have it with the semi regular loadout + The dual Cockpit (IIRC) that Theo drove with the Legion of Vega.

Hmmm...
According to Heir to the Dragon, Teddy received the 'Mech on May 18, 3018:

"It seems that this is registered on the rolls of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery in your name."

Florimel held out the hardcopy that Constance had printed for her. Attached to the cover was a pocket containing an iridescent data disk on which was emblazoned in black the alphanumeric code "ON1-K".

"This is the technical manual for an Orion 'Mech," Theodore said in surprise.

"I know what it is," Florimel conceded indulgently. "I had hoped to present it to you on a more auspicious occasion, such as your twenty-fifth birthday."

She started to say more, but refrained when it was obvious Theodore had no attention for anything beyond what he held in his hands. While he paged through the manual, she exchanged amused glances with Constance.

"This was General Kerensky's 'Mech!" Theodore blurted, eyes wide.

"An amazing discovery, wasn't it?" Florimel inquired nonchalantly. "It was found on an asteroid during the course of a minor investigation I ran several years ago in the New Samarkand system."

"You found a Star League depot and kept it secret?" Theodore's voice was full of disbelief.

"Really more of a Star League junkyard. Nothing was functional. The 'Mechs and other equipment wefound there were most likely cast off by General Kerensky and his loyal troops, jettisoned before they exited the Inner Sphere for parts unknown and left us to the Succession Wars. Likely they only had space for a limited amount of materiel."

"The Orion was practically a shell, all its important parts removed or ruined. I could not offer such an empty gift, however. The 'Mech has been refitted by the finest technicians in the Combine and with the best equipment, including some brought from the Free Worlds League factory that is the last one in the Sphere producing Orions."
If it was essentially a bare chassis when Florimel's people found it, and was refitted as a standard ON1-K (such that the parts and tech manuals they had in 3018 would have been useful and relevant) when she gifted it to Teddy, then the "Revenant" (the name given to the Teddy version) falls to the same problem as George Lytton's "Lucky Thirteen"/"CTF-2X (George)" Cataphract: the only true canon "hero 'Mech" is just a standard variant, or is close enough that it could be easily recreated from a standard variant.

Hypothetically, PGI could bend the canon a bit by dropping a ton of Gauss ammo (from two tons to one) to free up the tonnage, moving one of the FF criticals over, and replacing the SN-PPC with a standard PPC; it wouldn't be an exact duplicate Kerensky's version of the 'Mech, but it would retain the core concepts and the vast majority of the key attributes while still being substantially different from the stock ON1-K. :D

Alternatively, they could just not implement a hero Orion at all, or they could "pull another Muromets" and make something up wholesale... ^_^

(Also, Teddy's dual-cockpit 'Mech was a BattleMaster operated during the War of 3039; the "Revenant", operated by a decoy MechWarrior while Teddy escaped, was apparently destroyed on Marfik on Sept. 27, 3028. I seem to recall hearing something about the head being salvaged and put into a museum on Solaris VII...? :ph34r:)

42 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 42 guests, 0 anonymous users