#21 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Simply add an option for the people starting a match.

-Do you want this match broadcasted?
-Do you want people to join as spectators?
-Do you want a password for spectators to join?

#22 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

If they could do the same recording or streaming matches like Starcraft2 does i am all for it.

#23 Wildkarrde

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostFreyar, on 08 June 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

If people were actually bad, them watching you wouldn't improve their play. Tactics will and do leak, I don't see why trying to "hide" them is worthwhile. Even if I were doing the stomping, I'd be perfectly happy to have people watch and learn from my videos. (Hell, they might even be fighting on my side sometime and it'd be great for them to do better as a result.)

I'm not talking about just the bad pilots. Teams that are consistently close in matches may learn specific things about how you move a lance or a particular terrain/ area that is preferenced. While some of these things wil be learnt just by playing other teams, there are always a few trade secrets in how a team functions together and the tactics they deploy that are behind closed doors. I would rather not share. It's like sharing the KFC's secret spices just to have "better competiton." Instead you have Chik-fil-A with their own recipe that works.

#24 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

View PostWildkarrde, on 08 June 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

It's like sharing the KFC's secret spices just to have "better competiton." Instead you have Chik-fil-A with their own recipe that works.

This isn't food, and you don't lose money. Better competition all around is an improvement for the community. Having players learn to improve is vastly better than consistently beating them and not really have information as to how it happened. It's partly why "Kill Cams" are fairly popular now (not that I endorse any Kill Cam for MWO), it's simply a combination of showing off and giving people a better chance to learn from their betters.

If you were actively paying for and making money from your MWO matches (real currency), then I can understand. But seeing as how this is just a game, there's no harm in educating players.

#25 Strisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

If you're playing the same team over and over and can't figure out what they're doing then I think watching it on film won't help you either...

That being said I'm all for helping newer players learn more and become better, you help the newbies on your side and I'll help the ones on mine.

#26 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

something like ingame simulator, with few stationary mechs u can shoot at & revive with one click

#27 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostStrisk, on 09 June 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

If you're playing the same team over and over and can't figure out what they're doing then I think watching it on film won't help you either...

That being said I'm all for helping newer players learn more and become better, you help the newbies on your side and I'll help the ones on mine.

There's a difference though. Being able to see what information the enemy team did and how they reacted to it can put a lot in perspective. I dunno.. Arguing this point is kind of useless since watching matches would probably (and should probably) be intended for spectators, not players.

View PostSteel Talon, on 09 June 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

something like ingame simulator, with few stationary mechs u can shoot at & revive with one click

Wrong thread?

Edited by Freyar, 09 June 2012 - 01:45 AM.

#28 Strisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:49 AM

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

There's a difference though. Being able to see what information the enemy team did and how they reacted to it can put a lot in perspective. I dunno.. Arguing this point is kind of useless since watching matches would probably (and should probably) be intended for spectators, not players.

I'm not sure that I care either way if matches are broadcast or not, definitely should not be real time though, because it would be used as another form of information warfare. I like the option to "opt-in" to match broadcasting, it would give people who don't care the option, while not forcing it on anyone.

#29 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:10 AM

View PostStrisk, on 09 June 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

I'm not sure that I care either way if matches are broadcast or not, definitely should not be real time though, because it would be used as another form of information warfare. I like the option to "opt-in" to match broadcasting, it would give people who don't care the option, while not forcing it on anyone.

Allow for streaming from one point of view if enabled (multiple if multiple players say yes?).

Allow for a view of the match after [x] amount of time as a spectator in a replay?

#30 Wildkarrde

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

The food reference was an analogy. If you think about it, it fits this discussion rather well.
You can learn how another team beat you by talking about it in a debriefing after a match. You won't know every single aspect of what the Opfor did, but you will know where on the map they engaged you, from what side(s), the terrain and weather conditions, what their mech config and loadouts were, if they were long range attack, snipers, in-fighters, etc. Kill cam is fine, IMO. I like the idea of having people opt-in if they want a match to be rebroadcast. However, I do not want a camera following my mech and or my lance around as we beat down opponents.

Edited by Wildkarrde, 09 June 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#31 iAvenge

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

If some people are worried about the delay, and other are not, at the start of the match why not have the option to choose how much of a delay you want the spectators to see.

#32 Wolf Greyson

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

I think having live spectator feeds, in some instances, could be alot of fun! Plus, it opens up a whole host of possibilities if they intend to incorporate Solaris into the system... which at some point I really hope they do! C-Bill gambling on matches that you could watch live could be pretty awesome.

#33 Meth0s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

SJR will be live streaming often while we play. It's a good way to create fans for a game. The devs have said that they might add the ability to save replays at some point, but that it won't be included at launch.

We need some type of a spectator mode, if we ever hope to have good shoutcasting. I recognize the issues that some have, but often this is done on a time delay. But you just can't expect people to watch to watch only through the viewpoint of one mech. While it might be interesting for some, it won't be interesting enough for a lot of views.

#34 Wildkarrde

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostMethosFurey, on 11 June 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

We need some type of a spectator mode, if we ever hope to have good shoutcasting. I recognize the issues that some have, but often this is done on a time delay. But you just can't expect people to watch to watch only through the viewpoint of one mech. While it might be interesting for some, it won't be interesting enough for a lot of views.

Have you looked at the fanbase? Do you really think we need an extra audience to make this game interesting? I mean c'mon. It's been years since MW4 was out and you can clearly see how many of us are anxiously awaiting MWO.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users