If you had to pick AFFS units to represent House Davion...

24 replies to this topic

#21 100mile

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

View PostJohannes Falkner, on 26 March 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

Basically my original intent was to determine which units people should see as the major public face of the AFFS (AFFC). There are so many (Mech) units involved, something like 100 mech regiments by the time you count up all of the Sarna (7), Capellan (9), Crucis (8), and Draconis (11) March Militias, the special regiments (>3), The Avalon Hussars(>9), New Ivaarsen Chasseurs (2), Ceti Hussars (3), Crucis Lancers (8), Brigade of Guards (8), Deneb Light Cavalry (7), Robinson Rangers (3), Syrtis Fusileers (4), and a couple of misc. and traing units (>4) and a completely unknown number of merc groups employed at every level of the bureacracy and aristocracy.

Given the massive number of units I don't think it is reasonable to show them all in game, nor do I think the results would be good because there would not be a particularly strong flavor. If we stick to iconic and distinctive units the overall feel will be better. This is why I was looking at a generic militia unit as an entry point and prestige and prowess units for honorary assignments and skill based inclusion.

I would like it to even be further stratefied by making the skills that get you into one unit be counter to those that get you into another. Many of the various units have strong flavors that would be helpful in conveying the flavor of the AFFS. For example, the 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry is predominently medium mechs with a strong focus on maneuver tactics and raiding. The Davion Assault Guards are a coordinated fire, break things and kill people unit.

I honestly doubt that there will be a strongly visible unit affiliation outside of player created clans and a few special units like what I posted about originally.

I think once the game gets going that people are gonna see that being in a unit is the way to go (provided the game goes as expected) and we will see a spike in unit creation...Possibly even some units like ours that is highly organized, with own website etc..... also part of the appeal of this game is the possibility that we will be able to (while following the timeline in a general way) rewrite the story line, possibly in minor ways, possibly in major ways...depends how the Dev's wanna do it..They've already showed that the skill trees are gonna be tied to the mech you choose so why would they then want to tie you to specific units just to get certain stuff

#22 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

There's going to be so many people playing Davion that trying to pick a major public "face" is pointless. We're all Davion, and we'll all represent the House well. Some players might get recognized for skill/etc, but picking one unit seems kind of stupid especially since we (at least at game start) will not be running any of these units.

As the ability to select which unit you'd like to be in is going to be limited to what rank and/or number of loyalty points you have, you're going to have people all over the place and taking different units for many reasons. Be it players like the ones in the Robinson Rangers, they'll probably all try to get a spot in the NPC run 1st Robinson Rangers so they can all rock the paint scheme the game will give you for being a member of that unit. Others might pick certain units over others due to bonuses they get, not caring what the name or history of the unit is, and may act in a way you'd not want from your "face" unit.

We all rep Davion.

#23 Merrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 336 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

um, it is fedcom, might rep steiner...

#24 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

I think it'd be awesome if players who started the game allied with a house began in a cadet cadre for one of the house's war colleges. Would be realistic, and a fun way to start them off ^_^

#25 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostMerrick, on 26 March 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

um, it is fedcom, might rep steiner...

Seeing that they've got two separate forums for Steiner and Davion, I'll just rep Davion. We may not directly be going against the Lyrans, but I don't think we'll be actually able to play directly with them. There might be a Fedcom, but until we see more, I'm skeptical of how much we'll actually be able to interact.

We'll see, would be nice (right up to the Civil War, of course.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users