A Hero Stands Tall

149 replies to this topic

#41 Deedsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

My question is...what about the claw/axe it's supposed to come with?

#42 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 18 October 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Many have been felled by this heroic of Mechs. Of those who have stood before it, none have proved victorious. It is a testament to the idea that man and machine combined can truly become unstoppable.
Posted Image

Nice.
Keep it coming, Piranha!

#43 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 18 October 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

Please explain to me how a 'mech that does not lose 2/3rds of its weapon hardpoints with a single side torso destruction is "slightly worse" than a HBK-4H.4

First of all, Centurions are huge, have less torso twist and worse cockpit view than Hunchbacks in general, so that alone makes a "theoretically" equal Cent setup inferior. Theoretical 6 slots vs. 7 means less firepower when fully operational. And if YLW lacks lower arm actuator like AC20 loadout would suggest, it would have no moveable arms to go along with its smaller torso twist. If it has the lower arm actuator, then it's still not much of an advantage because of how weapon convergence is messed up currently with regards to leading targets.

Yes, you'd have 2 lasers more upon RT destruction, but more difficult to aim (unless PGI would go with one arm with laa, one without design).

All things considered (less firepower, disadvantageous hitbox, way less flexibility, better zombie potential), I'd stick to my "slightly worse 4H" (key word being slightly). As in "no P2W, but possibly viable with a good pilot".

That's for my hypothetical loadout that I made up. YLW with only chest/RA hardpoints would be worse than anything currently in the game, for reasons I'd hope need no explanation B) .

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 18 October 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#44 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Very good news, and due on the 23rd correct? Wonder if this will be MC only or a premium amount of c-bills.

Either way I can't wait, I've been wanting to get a Cent as my next purchase and this couldn't be better timed!

#45 Raalic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 483 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

It can't be Yen-Lo-Wang's...

...UNLESS they're planning on adding melee B)

#46 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

"Never be a hero kid"

plus should have used a atlas for that pic, centurions are for people who want to die.

#47 Nash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 658 posts
  • LocationGermany, Freiburg

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Seems to look like a centurion but actually there are some things that don't fit.

First of all it looks much more brawny than a cent
Second, it doesn't have the cents thin 'hips'
Third, the cent doesn't have aerilas at it's head.

So my guess is that it's a much heavier mech. Something like around 95 tons. Something like a Banshee. B)

#48 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Maybe its not the centurion itself, maybe this centurion is "a" hero mech.

#49 AntiSqueaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 713 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostNash, on 18 October 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Seems to look like a centurion but actually there are some things that don't fit.

First of all it looks much more brawny than a cent
Second, it doesn't have the cents thin 'hips'
Third, the cent doesn't have aerilas at it's head.

So my guess is that it's a much heavier mech. Something like around 95 tons. Something like a Banshee. B)

No offense, but are you blind? It's obviously a Centurion. Look at the left arm shield, the head, the shoulders.

I'm betting it's gonna have 3 Ballistic in RA, 2 Energy CT. If you look REAAAALY closely, you can see what looks like a paint job on there too!

#50 DisasterTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Im sorry but for someone that was used to MekTek unloading 10-15 NEW mechs every patch this is a bit of a disappointment. It really shows who here is a Mektek patch user and who isn't if your actually praising PGI for this. Laziness..... pure and simple.

#51 Nash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 658 posts
  • LocationGermany, Freiburg

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Don't worry AntiSqueaker I don't take offense... B) but to be honest I have my doubts about that. First I really did think also that it might be a cent...because of the armshield and the 'centurion helmet' but there I did see his aerials and so my doubts did grow. *g*

As it is I also doubt that PGI is making such a hustle and bustle about a special mech which might already be known even if it will be described as a hero mech.

I remeber a news flash about a banshee...so my guess is that it might be a Banshee... ;)

#52 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Yen-Lo-Wang = claws, in the shape of long fingernails and Triple Strength Myomer to back up their damage. I don't see claws on this Centurion's left hand. This is NOT Yen-Lo-Wang. The Devs have loremasters working for them, and would know this. I believe, in refitting for 3050, it picks up MASC and 3 medium pulse lasers, one rear facing, along with replacing the AC with a gauss and an XL engine. There are lots of unique mechs out there for PGI to choose from, but unless they add melee, TSM, and MASC into the game, they will be calling a Chevette and Corvette, and that's not right.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Yen-Lo-Wang

Not only that, I doubt the Allard-Liao family will let any of us wannabe's touch the God of Heart Gouging and Boiling. As Justin is the head of security for the Federated Commonwealth, and married to a Countess, I'm sure this mech is hidden far from our covetous paws.

What I'm saying is, if they are going to give us a Yen-Lo-Wang based variant; they better not do a half-arsed job. Give us melee, TSM and MASC along with it, or don't give it to us at all!

#53 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostBLOODREDSINGLE, on 18 October 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Im sorry but for someone that was used to MekTek unloading 10-15 NEW mechs every patch this is a bit of a disappointment. It really shows who here is a Mektek patch user and who isn't if your actually praising PGI for this. Laziness..... pure and simple.

While I applaud and enjoy MekTek team's work, it remains a fact that MW4 mechs were way simpler graphically, both inside and outside.

Consequently, the person who made even less detailed MW2 mechs actually posted on this forum saying he could roll out multiple chassis in extremely short periods of time as well.

#54 Artificer

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Introduce 'mechs slowly, keep us wanting more!

#55 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

View Postwanderer, on 18 October 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Odds are we're seeing the 3050 version, which was a modified Centurion packing a Gauss, plus 4 MPL's- canonically one was back mounted, but MWO would swap that to 2 CT, 2 LA- which gives us what is likely to be a rather nice design packing one or two ballistic HP's on the RA, 2 CT energy hardpoints, and 2 LA energy hardpoints. It also comes stock with a 200 XL engine.

So it's a Centurion with the missile hardpoints removed and replaced with a two energy hardpoints in the left arm. Finally a Centurion without the useless arm syndrome.

#56 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 18 October 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

So it's a Centurion with the missile hardpoints removed and replaced with a two energy hardpoints in the left arm. Finally a Centurion without the useless arm syndrome.

Yeah now it'll have "you need a three button mouse" syndrome, unless you're willing to "waste" some of that precious heat every time you fire while turning (because the arm lasers will track faster/better than the torso ones).

#57 Waldex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Well I would be lying if I said this wasn't disappointing... oh well I guess ill have to keep using my of Gauss-a-pult hehe

#58 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Guys....uhhh......guys.....hey....uhhhh.....It doesn't have fingers. It's a big flat slab sticking out of the arm(zoom in real close)
Which means....guys....it...doesn't.....HAVE....FINGERS. HATCHETS! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Edit:Also, notice that the standard Centurion doesn't have a handle sticking out from the bottom of the hand.

Edited by Davoke, 18 October 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#59 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostSephlock, on 18 October 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Yeah now it'll have "you need a three button mouse" syndrome, unless you're willing to "waste" some of that precious heat every time you fire while turning (because the arm lasers will track faster/better than the torso ones).

That's true. But i find that reaching for the number 3 on my keyboard is quite comfortable with my left longfinger. it's just an easy travel from the forward throttle-W to 3.
That's easy enough.

But then again...i won't be using the Centurion anyhow. I'm waiting for the Trebuchet and Cicada to compete for which becomes my workhorse medium mech.

#60 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostDavoke, on 18 October 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Guys....uhhh......guys.....hey....uhhhh.....It doesn't have fingers. It's a big flat slab sticking out of the arm(zoom in real close)
Which means....guys....it...doesn't.....HAVE....FINGERS. HATCHETS! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Edit:Also, notice that the standard Centurion doesn't have a handle sticking out from the bottom of the hand.

I'd say it's just the Centurion's "lower thumb".

View PostBryan Kerensky, on 18 October 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

Probably the shield covering the fingers.

Good call. Forgot how protruding the forward part is (and maybe some wishful thinking because I really want this guy not to be super-useless).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users