Sneak Preview! Turbo Corvair v2.0 SimPit (AS-7 SimPit)

61 replies to this topic

#21 Ulfried Tohrsson

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 39 posts
  • Locationeastgermany

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

Wow nice work.. for this i need a new room. damit i must learn electricconstruction....awsome.

#22 Ice Naga

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

As an aspiring pit builder, I really hope you document this process in more detail.

#23 SmackZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 303 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

Awsome start on your Pit! I'am a pit bulder myself, you should post your project here http://www.thewayipl...forum/index.php great site with alot of pit building info on hardware and home made stuff. Mostly for race setups but it has alot of pertinent info on building button box's and rudders and such that you will still need to build.Tell em SJ Smackz sent ya.

Edited by SmackZ, 21 October 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#24 XTRMNTR2K

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostTurbo Corvair, on 20 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

I am loathe to dignify this with a response, but I am essentially always in the top three in pre-made groups, often first.

Just want to provide some support: First it's good to know you stick to the 'stick (pardon the pun) as means of control and seem to enjoy it. And I agree that people who think joystick = bad couldn't be further from the truth. I have switched from KB+M to my Logitech G940 a while ago and for the few hours I've played since then I've been consistently in the top 3 of almost each game, often outperforming everyone else in terms of kills/supports and raw damage. And I'm average at best, so it's probably safe to say I'm actually doing better using a HOTAS setup.

There's no denying how easy and efficient it is to use a mouse, but the "mouse superiority" attitude some people show clearly indicates a lot of people are rather part of the shooter than the sim crowd (which is fine by me - just don't assume everyone is).

Fun Fact: There is really no way I could go back to keyboard and mouse anymore for MWO, especially not once PGI fixes the digital mech turning input.

That aside I think it's marvelous how your simpit turned out. You have got my utmost respect for investing so much time, work and money into this!

#25 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Looking good (again)!!! :)

#26 Hakkukakt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSuisse / Lausanne

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Fichtre ... i will says .... very nice

for myself, i have not a +1 room for doing this ... when my pc game is on my saloon ... snif ...

i do a little impro on my saloon for a semi simpit look ^^

#27 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Turbo, always a crowd pleaser! That's some fine pit building, good sir. Looking forward to the next installments...

-Loc

#28 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostHakkukakt, on 21 October 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

for myself, i have not a +1 room for doing this

My entire SimPit is contained in a 4 foot by 6 foot (outside dimensions) enclosure because space was very limited. I basically built a closet in the corner of one room. My fiance' is mad that it's a simpit instead of a walk in closet!

#29 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

******** it turbo... You already have a maxed out man card. What else do you want. O_O
Stop being awesome for a few minutes. sheesh.

Also QUESTION:
Is that a completely new simpit. or is it a modular update do your first one?

Edited by Blackfire1, 21 October 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#30 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostBlackfire1, on 21 October 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Also QUESTION:
Is that a completely new simpit. or is it a modular update do your first one?

Thanks Blackfire =) Is it a new simpit? That depends. This was a minor refit of the first simpit that got out of hand. The original idea was to just build a center console like the one in game and add it to the old simpit. I got more and more ambitious and came up with a lot of ideas that got me excited. In the end it turned into a complete rebuild, the external enclosure is still the original one with minor changes, but not a single part of the original simpit is left at this point. I even had to tear out the structure for the armrest/joystick mount areas and build new ones that are higher and further apart and not angled out as much.

Now that the thing is assembled to the point of being usable (and fun as hell!) I fear my progress will slow substantially because I'll be in game a lot more. I'm going to try to keep to some kind of schedule to make sure I'm still making decent progress.

#31 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:34 AM

Just fantastic work. Really well done.

I suppose it is proper to finish the pod before I start on revisions right?

#32 Dennis de Koning

Art Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 118 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Wow! Very impressive.
As I am a big fan of model building, crash-kits and custom construction projects, I find this very cool; and your attention to detail and scale is awesome! I mean errrr, Atlas!

#33 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostDennis de Koning, on 22 October 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

Wow! Very impressive.
As I am a big fan of model building, crash-kits and custom construction projects, I find this very cool; and your attention to detail and scale is awesome! I mean errrr, Atlas!

jelous arent ya? XD

#34 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostDennis de Koning, on 22 October 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

Wow! Very impressive.

Thanks Dennis =) Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery you know!

#35 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

To the OP

Dude you are awesome thats pretty friggin cool. The only thing is that im now insanely jealous, just not of how much work you probably had to put in the thing.

Edited by AvatarofWhat, 22 October 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#36 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

Corvair, I am extremely impressed. I too took screenshots of the Atlas and had planned on building a 1:1 mechpit based of that artwork but the need to keep it as compact as possible (for a future motion platform) kept me from doing this. Well done, I am envious.

Propnut

#37 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostPropnut, on 23 October 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Corvair, I am extremely impressed. I too took screenshots of the Atlas and had planned on building a 1:1 mechpit based of that artwork but the need to keep it as compact as possible (for a future motion platform) kept me from doing this. Well done, I am envious.

Propnut

Once you have your motion platform I'll be the jealous one =) I'll have to make do with just a real good rumble seat... it's a hard life eh?

#38 DethPig

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCentral US

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Awsome job on this. Im curious how the 3 monitor setup looks in game? I didnt think they had any multi monitor support working.

#39 LHR Dovah

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationThe cliffs of Akavir

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Whew! That thing is amazing!

I really wish I had the time and money to do this, but I don't. I also have a problem with triple monitor setups, as I get this weird odd when playing with seams, and I definitely do not have the cash for a curved monitor XD

Great work, Corsair!

[Exclamation points!!!]

#40 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Lords of light!!

That is amazing!!

Will you build me one?!?! ;-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users