Blazing Aces

397 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Welcome to the Blazing Aces thread, OP version 1.5!

Posted Image

Currently our European recruitment is very active, and we're looking for any pilots that either live in the EU or think they might be on at late hours that would sync well with them regardless of country. So EU folks and night owls, apply away!

The Aces are currently OPEN for recruitment and I am welcoming players to send in applications - in particular if you have gotten a referral by an Ace (including via text in-game in MWO) - so please visit our website www.blazingaces.info and register away; it's the fastest way to get noticed. We're a bit slow about checking our MWO mail / forums sometimes but actively read ours.

Now, on to the OP:

Unit History - 3049: Within the BattleTech Universe timeline

The Blazing Aces began when Gideon Braver Vandenburg was framed for a conspiracy involving the pirate lance known as the Dark Wing that attacked his home world, and made a fugitive from the place he was supposed to one day lead.

Under the abbreviated name of "Gideon Braver", Gideon Braver Vandenburg left his homeworld of Ander's Moon in March 3024 for a nearby world after his family had been killed in an attack by an unknown Lance of BattleMechs (the Dark Wing) and he himself was charged with conspiracy and crimes against the state with forged evidence. Jordan Rowe provided him with an old Jenner, some money and a safe passage off-world. Upon his arrival at the destination world, Gideon Braver began a mercenary career and created his own unit, the Blazing Aces, in April 3024.

Since then, the Aces not only destroyed the Dark Lance and cleared Braver's name, but have become one of the premiere Inner Sphere mercenary units, rising from a single light 'mech to an assault lance and then beyond.

Unit History: Our history online

Formed from the leadership of Free Worlds League NBT league veterans, we hold the distinction of being the first unit to use the Blazing Aces name in League play and were arguably one of the most successful mercenary units from that league.

Since disbanding the unit prior to Hardcore, other units have assumed the name, but our original command staff of myself, Firestorm (Fred Sampson), Snyper (Jace Nevada) and Raisinscone have held the title through countless other online games, waiting for the next incarnation of an official MechWarrior release to reform the unit. We never thought the wait would be so long, but with MWO around the corner we're preparing to resurrect the unit once more.

About us

As mentioned in the Unit History, the Aces were formed from a series of long time MechWarrior veterans, with experience in all of it's incarnations ranging from MechWarrior 1 to classic BattleTech and the early CRPGs. We have a lot of experience commanding drops, with a focus on good terrain management and insuring our units can focus fire enemies optimally at all times. We're large on maintaining com discipline during fights and take a very organized sim styled approach to the game.

We lean towards a serious, no-quarter-given style and our pilots are expected to do what it takes to win - we are a pro-legging, boating, jump sniping unit that has no qualms with shooting our enemies in the back if we can. We have no problems with using the best equipment available, boating or any configuration that's combat effective. That said we always honorably stick by our contracts and alliances.

Our command staff alternates between playing in light, mobile 'mechs that allow quick escapes when leading a drop of company size or more and preferring heavy, energy based assaults. Some of our favorite 'mechs in past games have been the Jenner, Wolfhound, Novacat and Awesome. We recognize the extreme importance of recon in both past and upcoming games and are always seeking pilots willing to fill the role of scout for the Aces.

Our official parade color scheme is an all white paint job, with red trim for the Diamonds and Hearts, black trim for Spades and Clubs capable of using either.

Ranking System

The Aces use a completely different ranking system than the majority of Inner Sphere units, based on a deck of cards. We also have four divisions that denotes a pilot's play style.

2 - 10: Our starting pilot ranks. 2 is the rank of a trainee beginning on probation, while other pilots with more experience might be accepted at a higher starting rank.

Jack: The equivalent of an officer in the Aces, a Jack is the first rank where one is considered for lance command and is generally a full-blooded permanent pilot for the group.

King/Queen: The second highest rank available, the title King or Queen is assigned based on the pilot's gender; both are entirely equal. This is given to pilots who routinely command or show exceptional skills in their area of specialty.

Ace: This is a command rank in the Aces. Very few pilots have obtained the title of Ace, and nearly all of them are actively returning to the Blazing Aces upon MWO's return.

Joker: Jokers are pilots who are outside of the normal command structure. This can include pilots that aren't available to play often but show exceptional skill, are on loan from other units (including alt. profiles), and so forth. A Joker could be assigned anything from command to basic brawling duty, situation depending. Pilots without a unit affiliation dropping with the Aces that are not actual members of the Aces can be referred to as Jokers as well. (i.e. if you have a family member who plays casually, we welcome them to play with us as a Joker!)

Division System
A sub-section of rank, every pilot is given a division. These can change if the pilot's preferences and overall role shifts and all are considered equal to the other. No pilot is more or less likely to gain rank in one division over the other as each has an equally vital role.

Club Division: The Clubs are the brawlers of the Blazing Aces. Anyone who specializes in close-range combat, be it piloting 'mechs to soak damage or raw damage dealers, gains the Club designation.

CO: Jace Nevada
XO: Draymen

Diamond Division: Diamonds are the long-range fire support pilots: Be it fast moving energy snipers or slow heavy hitting missile boats, if long-range is your area of expertise then this is the division for you.

CO: Victor Morson
XO: Stun

Heart Division: Hearts are pilots who prefer both close and long range engagements, or mid-range engagements. Typically their 'mechs are configured in a manner that allows them to fight at multiple ranges with weapons such as ER Lasers and Gauss, or a split configuration such as LRMs and an array of Medium Lasers. If you prefer engaging at any range you're needed, you belong in the Hearts.

CO: Fred Sampson
XO: Xander Grey

Spade Division: Spades are the eyes and ears of the Aces, being the recon division. Spades also include those interested in "raiding" roles, with fast 'mechs designed for striking at the border ranges of radar and disappearing before fire can be returned, acting as a damage dealing form of recon. If scouting and staying in the shadows is your style, you're likely a Spade.

CO: KJ Crow
XO: Sir Trent Howell

EU Division: The European group is run by the King of Spades, KJ Crow. Pilots from all divisions that typically play in EU timezones answer directly to KJ Crow, but are entirely welcome to play with us in the North American time zone if their schedule allows. While our EU Roster has yet to reach the size of our North American one, it has expanded greatly in the past few weeks. We've begun scheduling tournament drops with EU Players so we're looking forward to some organized play in both time zones!

Recruiting!
If you'd like to apply to try out for the Aces, again, please visit our website at www.blazingaces.info and register on our forums. It's the fastest way to get noticed. Feel free to post a note in this thread saying you plan to do so as well, it's good to get notification in multiple places and bump us.

Make sure to read the posts to fill out an application! Again, while we are closed we are currently open to both special exception and referral.

- Victor Morson

EDIT: OP 2.0 coming soon.

Edited by Victor Morson, 27 October 2012 - 03:08 AM.

#2 JAFO

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hello Victor, glad to see some fimilar names comming out. Looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield.

#3 FireStorm2

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I am also really looking forward to getting back into a Mechwarrior game and hopefully finding lots of old friends. Anyone interested can consider me a leader and point of contact as well.

Good to see you JAFO!

#4 stun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

PM'd Victor =)

#5 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Sort of contrary to what Morson posted we're actually a fairly laid back unit. In an organized game we expect our pilots to follow orders and not screw around, but out of game we're not all up in everyone's business.

If you're willing to follow orders and not act stupid on Teamspeak, chances are you could find a place in the Aces, even if you're still a rookie pilot.

I'm also a member of the command staff, so feel free to message me with questions as well.

Edited by Jace Nevada, 05 April 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#6 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostJAFO, on 26 March 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

Hello Victor, glad to see some fimilar names comming out. Looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield.

Good to see you too, JAFO! Hopefully we'll get some drops on the same side out there, too - would be nice doing allied drops with you folks.

#7 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

Not Victor Morson of NBT FWL fame?

#8 JAFO

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostFire§torm, on 26 March 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Good to see you JAFO!

You too Firestorm, it has been a while nice to see more mercs around.

View PostVictor Morson, on 27 March 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Good to see you too, JAFO! Hopefully we'll get some drops on the same side out there, too - would be nice doing allied drops with you folks.

Absolutely, lets catch up and talk. We have alot of fimilar faces that you guys know, besides Mechwarrior would just not be complete without Apoc and Fedki?

No house alignment for us yet, we are waiting to see how everything is going to work. You guys going to be fighting for the Purple Birds and keep up with tradition?

#9 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostJAFO, on 28 March 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Absolutely, lets catch up and talk. We have alot of fimilar faces that you guys know, besides Mechwarrior would just not be complete without Apoc and Fedki?

Definitely good to see you guys around for sure!

View PostJAFO, on 28 March 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

No house alignment for us yet, we are waiting to see how everything is going to work. You guys going to be fighting for the Purple Birds and keep up with tradition?

As the Aces we generally freelanced quite a bit including for FWL (A few of us have a major soft spot for the faction, I'll admit), but we're definitely considering helping the FRR out as much as possible. Maybe we're drawn to lost causes but I have my fingers crossed they'll let the Clans actually fight the invasion out down the line, and we want to have front row seats to the apocalypse. :)

View PostJohn Clavell, on 28 March 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

Not Victor Morson of NBT FWL fame?

Yep, one and the same!

#10 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostStrumtruppen, on 29 March 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

My name is strumtruppen and i would feel truly honoured to be able to join the Blazing Aces.
i would prefer joining the Spade division. The reason i want to join the Blazing Aces is the fact that you can not get that team,eliteism spirit when in a IS faction and the working for money allows me the highs and lows adding excitment to the game

Fighting style- i prefer a close up and manuverable fighting style

Mech type- i prefer fighting in a light to med battle mech

Experience-been playing mechwarrior since age 6. Played MW2:Ghost Bear Expansion,MW3, MW4 vengence, MW4 black knight MW4 Mercenaries and all mechcommanders. i am quite a old hand at manuvering and targeting on the run. i prefer a brutal quick effecint, fanatical playstyle that wins victory quickly and decisively.

That sounds great. I'm going to send you a PM to get your info and get you setup with the group. Welcome aboard!

#11 Strumtruppen

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

hello everyone i'm one of you newest memebers. i would like to know some battle history of this group. please.

#12 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Uh, well we have a long history of fighting for fun and sometimes profit when there's a league to support it. FireStorm managed to kill entire lances (and more) and singlehandedly turned games around on many occasions with his six-gun Wolfhound in NBT-4/NBT-Mercs, so there's that too I guess. Not really sure what you're looking for.

Edited by Jace Nevada, 31 March 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#13 Aidan Ramsdell

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hello Aces, I am Aidan Ramsdell, and would consider it an honor to be a part of the Blazing Aces family.
The Aces feel like the unit I enjoy playing as, and as a mechwarrior without a unit, I would be proud to join your ranks.
I prefer a quick, hit and run battle, running with the light or low medium mechs. So, if possible, the Spade division would be preferable.
I have experience in MW2, MW4, and have recently been toying with the TT. However I have little online experience, and, if permitted to join, I have a special contract clause that would need to be discussed. Thank you for your consideration.

#14 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Heya, I want to hear about your unit a bit more when it comes to the social side of things. What's the attitude and atmosphere like outside of the serious matches. Is everyone free to speak, are there age limits or limits to topics of conversation and or the way they can be talked about ('bad' words.)

#15 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

We stay pretty casual out of game, everyone is free to voice their opinion on things, and outside of scheduled practice and matches, pretty much anything goes. R-rated language is fine, as long as no one gets too carried away. Also, we like to keep the level of discussion fairly mature, so if you're sitting around on TeamSpeak repeating tired internet memes, linking not-work-safe/not-legal type content, being a racist, or talking about your erotic pony fanfics, you'll be on the fast track to getting my virtual boot up your virtual butt.

We don't really have many hard rules laid down, since we've never had any problems with common sense policy like this in the past. We allow players of any age, as long as they don't act stupid or give the Aces a bad name.

Edited by Jace Nevada, 06 April 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#16 Vesper Darktide

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Your company sounds very interesting to me. I am wondering if you have any plans to practice/kill time prior to release using MW4:Mercs or MW:LL as I'd be even more interested to get practicing asap.

I've done some league play in MW:4 and played just about every Mechwarrior/commander title on pc since MW2.

I'm content in most roles, though I tend to settle in to fast movers and brawling spots, recon and spotting included.

Thanks!

#17 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostAtham MacKinaw, on 22 April 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

My other main flaw would be that I'm technologically inept. So might (ok, absolutely would) need help setting up Teamspeak and PMs.

Teamspeak is fairly easy to set up, we can help you out with that. For PMs on this forum, look up near the top of the screen when you're logged in, and near the "Search..." bar, there's a little button that looks like an envelope, this takes you to the PM inbox.

View PostVesper Darktide, on 23 April 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

Your company sounds very interesting to me. I am wondering if you have any plans to practice/kill time prior to release using MW4:Mercs or MW:LL as I'd be even more interested to get practicing asap.

We aren't doing any practice in any Mechwarrior games just yet, but we're trying to get our members together to play other games (TF2, lately) a little bit, mostly to get people on Teamspeak and talking so we all get to know each other better.

#18 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostJace Nevada, on 23 April 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

(TF2, lately) a little bit, mostly to get people on Teamspeak and talking so we all get to know each other better.

This is true. I roped them into playing Randomizer, and then Saxton Hale with me.

Up next is dodgeball!

I'm generally in TS whenever I'm around. That's 1600-2000 and 0300-0800 UTC.

#19 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

You know, I thought I had a lot of games on Steam before I joined these guys. 200+ games guys? Seriously? Me and my measly 75 games. ;)

I haven't had a chance to catch you guys on TS, I got a few Nexuiz games, fellow members get dibs ;) check the thread here:
http://mwomercs.com/...98%BB%E2%99%A5/

#20 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Just to keep the fans updated:

We did a couple dodgeball rounds and it was fun. We also did some Saxton Hale Deathrun but Jace went totally wet blanket on the entire thing. ^_^

I feel like my time playing Nexuiz and Quake has really helped me in TF2, and I kind of thought it might. It can help to play a faster game and get kind of caught up in and used to operating more quickly. I've been trying to work my way thru nightmare mode Quake 3 Arena. I think I have a crush on Slash.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users