Jump to content

ALL JOYSTICK USERS

joystick flight system HOTAS configuration config controller

371 replies to this topic

#361 Mystere

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

View Postmclang, on 19 March 2017 - 11:13 PM, said:

Has anybody tried the new Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle?

I'm currently using throttle from Thrustmaster Hotas-X because it has rudder level in the front for turning, but it is annoying to have the joystick on the table when I don't need it and the button layout doesn't fit well on my fingers.

Most important question thus beining, whether the paddle of TWCS Throttle work for turning as well as Hotas-X rocker level?


From an ergonomic standpoint, those paddles seem to have have terrible placement. How am I supposed to use those while using other buttons?

I'd rather use the two red buttons in front for turning. Alternatively, I'd get the rudder pedals in addition to the throttle and ignore said paddles.

A mouse on the right hand completes the set up for those unwilling to put up with MWO's terrible joystick support.

Edited by Mystere, 27 March 2017 - 03:58 PM.


#362 mclang

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, I beginning to think the same.

The paddle of TWCS Throttle may work well for analogue turning but you can't use front buttons at the same time. Using two red buttons for turning is not an option because in that case it would be the same to drop back to using WASD.

I should probably buy Leo Podnar USB chip and rewire my Hotas-X throttle to get rid of the joystick.

#363 Barbaric Soul

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Maybe someone has come up with a fix to my problem.

I'm (still) trying to get my Saitek X52 working with this game. I have everything mapped out the way I want it, and it is all working (turning, looking up and down on stick/ torso twist on rudder, weapons groups/zoom/target enemy/ect.... mapped to JS buttons) except for one thing. The damn dead zone in my joystick. I have to move the stick about a 1/2 inch before my mech starts to react. And when it reacts, it reacts as if I moved the stick a half inch, not the 1/16th to 1/8th inch of movement I wanted. This makes accurate shooting simply impossible. Any way to get rid of this dead zone?

I used to be able to pick a pixel out on a enemy mech at 1000 meters at hit it in Mech4 using this exact joystick. But I can't hit **** in this game with any real accuracy. The stick still works perfectly in MW4.

#364 Mystere

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

The deadzone is built into MWO and as such there is no normal way around it.

The only way out is if your Saitek comes with software that allows you to configure the stick for mouse emulation on the X and Y axes.

#365 mclang

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

Mouse emulation using AutohotKey works with all joysticks, check my warthog project for the details. Only problem is that to work well, the joystick needs to be accurate enough, and I think x52 doesn't cut it.

By the way, is there any good reason for the deadzone?

#366 Mystere

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

View Postmclang, on 29 March 2017 - 05:51 AM, said:

By the way, is there any good reason for the deadzone?


Unfortunately, I never noticed PGI give a reason. I may have missed it., but ...

#367 DDM PLAGUE

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 151 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

I use the Saitek Rhino throttle with a Saitek metal rudder pedals & a Razor Epic Naga Chroma mouse, its a very effective combo.
But since PGI will never fix this game to run with out Zero point input, it will always be primarily for keyboard mouse players.
We are going to have to wait for a company that really understands how Mech's are supposed to be piloted until we get what we need, Some day we will get another Mech simulator instead of an arcade game...man I miss the PODS
Plague Out

Edited by DDM PLAGUE, 05 April 2017 - 12:51 PM.


#368 FLes

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:21 AM

View PostDDM PLAGUE, on 05 April 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

(...)
But since PGI will never fix this game to run with out Zero point input, it will always be primarily for keyboard mouse players.
(...)


What is Zero point input?

Edited by FLes, 03 August 2018 - 02:36 AM.


#369 HARDKOR

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 28 March 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Maybe someone has come up with a fix to my problem.

I'm (still) trying to get my Saitek X52 working with this game. I have everything mapped out the way I want it, and it is all working (turning, looking up and down on stick/ torso twist on rudder, weapons groups/zoom/target enemy/ect.... mapped to JS buttons) except for one thing. The damn dead zone in my joystick. I have to move the stick about a 1/2 inch before my mech starts to react. And when it reacts, it reacts as if I moved the stick a half inch, not the 1/16th to 1/8th inch of movement I wanted. This makes accurate shooting simply impossible. Any way to get rid of this dead zone?

I used to be able to pick a pixel out on a enemy mech at 1000 meters at hit it in Mech4 using this exact joystick. But I can't hit **** in this game with any real accuracy. The stick still works perfectly in MW4.


Are you using the X52 still?

I'm trying to sort out controls that are acceptable to me and I currently am failing at using an elecom trackball to aim and the X52 throttle to move. If there was a way to turn smoothly, I'd be set, but as is, I am using the hat thats on your left index finger as my left, right, center legs to torso, and R. This sucks for aiming, because every time I steer at all, it jumps a set amount, instead of moving smoothly, like it would on a stick.

Is maybe the best answer to use the stick as a throttle/leg controller and have the ball be the torso twist and elevation?

I can't comprehend playing this with a mouse/keyboard, but everything I have tried otherwise has a fatal flaw as well.

#370 ScrappyDoo531

    Rookie

  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:20 PM

i don't want to be that guy but this is my first pc i personally own. need help. i have a T-Flight Hotas 1 for xbox/pc. i cant seem to get it working. I've always wanted to play mechwarrior like ever since i was a kid. thanks in advance for reading

#371 Alreech

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:44 AM

View PostScrappyDoo531, on 05 July 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

i don't want to be that guy but this is my first pc i personally own. need help. i have a T-Flight Hotas 1 for xbox/pc. i cant seem to get it working. I've always wanted to play mechwarrior like ever since i was a kid. thanks in advance for reading

Bad News: You can use the throttle for movement, but if you use the stick for aiming you will have trouble to hit.

I'm using a Saitek Cyborg 1 Flight Stick in the left hand for movment (works great for me, lot's of buttons) but a mouse in my right hand for aiming.

I used the T-Flight Hotas for Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142 First Strike (Star Wars Mod with Space Figher combat) and Freespace 2.
It's no a bad stick, but less precise than the Saitek X52pro i also own and use for Elite Dangerous and Freespace 2.
Even the Saitek X52 stick is a bad choice for aiming in MWO.

Edited by Alreech, 06 July 2020 - 07:44 AM.


#372 Alreech

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:50 AM

To make the stick work:
it should be the "preferred device" in the windwos game controller settings.
You can map Buttons & Axis by klicking on the binding in the MWO copntrol settings and then pressing the button or moving the axis.
Start first the Training Grounds, then acces the option menue with ESC.

Use Analog Thrust and Analog Turning, don't map the torso twist to the stick.
Try out what works best for you: throttle decay "on" or "off".

Edited by Alreech, 06 July 2020 - 11:23 AM.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users