Mac support?

81 replies to this topic

#41 SmoesHammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

I'm pretty sure windows won't run from an external HDD. Tough you could use a small partition on the internal HDD and put everything else on the external.

#42 Archtus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

View PostSmoesHammer, on 04 April 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure windows won't run from an external HDD. Tough you could use a small partition on the internal HDD and put everything else on the external.

Fact and Fact.

Windows will only boot from a network drive, if it's not booting directly from the hardware. If you tried to do this, You'd wreck your boot tables.

Downside: Update Mac OS, lose Windows files. :) And people call Micro$oft evil...

#43 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostArchtus, on 04 April 2012 - 02:56 AM, said:

Downside: Update Mac OS, lose Windows files. :) And people call Micro$oft evil...

I don't know, wasn't Steve Ballmer responsible for Windows ME? Some sins are unforgivable :)

#44 Archtus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

Somethings... ARE unforgivable. *prepares for ban-hammer*

Posted Image

#45 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hah, win :) (though in fairness, the NT kernel is what finally got Windows to a functional state :))

#46 Seth Deathstalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 148 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostCatamount, on 04 April 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

I don't know, wasn't Steve Ballmer responsible for Windows ME? Some sins are unforgivable :)

Hey! I had Windows ME running on my machine....
Did the usual office stuff and played MW 3 and 4 single player.
No problems there :)

#47 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

View PostDeath Blossom, on 28 March 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

What is a Mac? That shiny thing?

Posted Image

#48 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

View PostArchtus, on 03 April 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Honestly, I don't see why Mac buyers think that game developers should rewrite their game to take Macs in as a 'potential player base'. You say you use it for sound processing[Music, jingles, whatever]. Point is, had you spent the same amount on a Desktop PC, you'd have commercial grade software plugged in to a compy that's at least twice as powerful as what you have now, and enough left over to pay your rent. You wouldn't be trying to claim some bogus MAC vs PC Discrimination "We're gamers too!". You chose to spend a lot of money on a shiny white box with a picture of a partially eaten apple on it.

For the price of the Mac Pro at it's baseline model[$2500], you can have an Alienware[I decided to compare "Buy the Name Brand" rigs] with twice the power, the space, and the ability to play PC games.

I feel no pity for you.

First, I needed the Mac for Sound processing, because one of the best and industry standard(video game/movie processing) for music processing programs in only available for OS X, I never claimed a discrimination against Mac because of it. Frankly, it's a little harsh to judge an entire OS on some bad experiences, yes, somewhat overpriced, but they are good at what they do.

View PostCatamount, on 03 April 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

If you can afford the price of hardware getting an Apple computer capable of playing any kind of games, then you can afford the $100 copy of Windows.

Not always true. In my case, I'm barely squeezing by, and I'm still paying off the debt from school, including the cost of my Mac, which is four years old at this point.

In the end, I'm not even sure at this point if I'll be playing MWO at launch. I may not get it for some time, simply because I'm too poor to afford the machine needed to play it. I'm not complaining, just stating a resigned fact. I've gotten used to living within my means, which a lot of times means that I can't get what I want to, only what I need.

Edited by Lt Trevnor, 04 April 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#49 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostLt Trevnor, on 04 April 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

Not always true. In my case, I'm barely squeezing by, and I'm still paying off the debt from school, including the cost of my Mac, which is four years old at this point.

In the end, I'm not even sure at this point if I'll be playing MWO at launch. I may not get it for some time, simply because I'm too poor to afford the machine needed to play it. I'm not complaining, just stating a resigned fact. I've gotten used to living within my means, which a lot of times means that I can't get what I want to, only what I need.

Well in fairness, you don't need a powerful GPU for sound and video process; that's all CPU-based (at least, four years ago GPGPU wasn't a real big thing in those areas; it was experimental in most software, at best, iirc).

However, if by chance, the Mac just happens to be capable of running Cryengine 3, I do sympathize with the situation, but think of it from a business stand point.

You're a potential player with a very highly specific situation, namely:

-You own a Mac

-Your Mac is powerful enough for gaming

-You just happened to need a Mac with the exact setup required for gaming (unusual in itself for a Mac), but don't have any extra money

The bottom line is that you're in a situation where an unlikely collision of multiple concurrent circumstances provides you with a very expensive computer, but the inability to buy what's comparitively a very cheap piece of software on top of that huge expenditure.

You can't expect a huge player base with that exact set of circumstances (which is why I implied, not that no one was in that situation, just that nearly no one was).

It's not fair, I know, but it's just the oddity of your situation.

It should be noted that you could probably still dual-boot Linux and use WINE to play MWO, probably not long after launch (WINE often takes a bit to catch up, but it usually can play games without problems pretty quickly after launch).

In the future, might I suggest going the Hackintosh route?

Alternatively, if you're still in school, and in the computer science department, chances are good that you get can get Windows 7 for free anyways from your college.

#50 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, I wish I was still in school, lol My college had every classroom with some computers in them. The best was the XPS lab. 18 Dell XPS's with GTX 280's or something like that. Gaming college for the win. But yeah, I'm going to see what I can do shortly after launch, I've been looking into Wine and such.

#51 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

WINE runs on OSX, but it's my experience that Ubuntu has always given the best results (and I've used a lot of Linux distros, even if I don't do much with it anymore), so a dual boot with a small Linux partition would be a good way to go. WINE also currently runs Crysis 2 pretty well.

Halfway-decent GPU provided, I think it'll be a fine route. Who knows, maybe when migration to Windows 8 happens in October, you can grab someone's old W7 license :)

Edit: Really PGI, REALLY? "******" (other word for grab/take that starts with an s) is filtered?

Edited by Catamount, 04 April 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#52 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostLt Trevnor, on 04 April 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

First, I needed the Mac for Sound processing, because one of the best and industry standard(video game/movie processing) for music processing programs in only available for OS X, I never claimed a discrimination against Mac because of it. Frankly, it's a little harsh to judge an entire OS on some bad experiences, yes, somewhat overpriced, but they are good at what they do.

Which progam is this? Beyond GarageBand (which isn't bad) Everything else that I know of I can get on Windows. I'm no sound expert though so I'm not entirely informed in that area. I might be looking for an "expert" at some point even :) I don't hate OS X though I do laugh when people tell me it's better than Windows. If it weren't for DirectX they'd be about to same to me, they both otherwise work just fine.

That is one of my big complaints about about Macs in general. They do what they do well, but for less Windows can do more. When I priced top of the line Macs vs PC parts a laptop was just over half the price, but for desktops (what I would recomend) I could buy 4 for the same price and slightly better hardware. Good news there is that once you could afford it...least it's not AS expensive :)

I certainly wouldn't expect a Mac client though and I'm not even sure why any Mac user ever expects one. The biggest market for games can run them in DirectX. You could spend time and money to port things out of that but when only 5% of the market are Macs and maybe half of that even know what these video game thingies are? Usually never worth it. Unless of course your software/engine/etc worked with it from the ground up. To bad this is CryEnigne though otherwise with F2P you never know, it might not be a big market but a targetable one for games like that.

Either way, good luck getting it running. I always need more things to shoot at.

#53 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostKaryudo-ds, on 04 April 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Either way, good luck getting it running. I always need more things to shoot at.

Hey, hey, you're talking to the only buffer between us and the clans. We need him online so he be cannon fodder for awhile while we get our **** together :)

#54 Nexus Trimean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCockpit of my Catapult!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

If MWO takes off, WINE support will be more likely, Wine will run under macOSX (I use it on planetside atm) Though Ubuntu does Run it faster (No X11 Translation)
Someone mentioned rEFIt, which is a great boot loader for Multi-OS Mac's.

Edited by Nexus Trimean, 04 April 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#55 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

I don't know why WINE takes to Ubuntu so well, but it's just as well, because it's the most user-friendly of the Linux distros by far (and just the best in general), imo.

If WINE evolved a little more, I'd give serious consideration to a permanent switch over to Linux, and WINE has been evolving at a feverish pace where gaming is concerned.

#56 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostKaryudo-ds, on 04 April 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Which progam is this? Beyond GarageBand (which isn't bad) Everything else that I know of I can get on Windows. I'm no sound expert though so I'm not entirely informed in that area. I might be looking for an "expert" at some point even :) I don't hate OS X though I do laugh when people tell me it's better than Windows. If it weren't for DirectX they'd be about to same to me, they both otherwise work just fine.

I actually use Logic Pro 8. Logic Pro 9 is out now, but lots of experts in the field still use 8. The only other program I could've used for my field would have been Reason, which does run on Windows, but it's more of a sampler, than something you can build your own instruments in. With Logic I can create recorded sounds, and map them to my MIDI controller with little hassle. So, that's why I went the Mac/Logic route, instead of the cheaper Windows/Reason route.

Also, We in the FRR are not simple cannon fodder, we will stop the clans. Count on it :)

#57 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hmm, sounds like I'm gonna want to grab some popcorn for this fight :)

But if you trounce the clans, then what will we have to do, start picking sides when Fedcom falls apart at the seams? Actually, stomping on Lyrans for awhile sounds like fun, no? :)

#58 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostCatamount, on 04 April 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't that require using an entirely different engine?

Cryengine 3 just does not support OpenGL, so going so cross platform would be a huge decision that would require revolving numerous technical decision around it, instead of revolving those decisions around getting out the best looking game on the engine that they find best to code for.

There are cryengine3 titles on playstation 3, so there has to be something in there -- although that doesn't necessarily mean it's available for the MWO guys to use on desktop systems. But it doesn't change my point at all, the initial request of users from other platforms is almost always 'please develop with us in mind too' before the devs lock themselves into specific platforms and into certain proprietary crap. The question might evolve into "please open up support for us too" after they've done that.

Mechwarrior Tactics is going to be unreal 3 in a browser, that might be our glimmer of hope.

Posted Image

#59 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostMotionless, on 04 April 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

There are cryengine3 titles on playstation 3, so there has to be something in there -- although that doesn't necessarily mean it's available for the MWO guys to use on desktop systems. But it doesn't change my point at all, the initial request of users from other platforms is almost always 'please develop with us in mind too' before the devs lock themselves into specific platforms and into certain proprietary crap. The question might evolve into "please open up support for us too" after they've done that.

Mechwarrior Tactics is going to be unreal 3 in a browser, that might be our glimmer of hope.

Posted Image

But that assumes that all development platforms (engines, APIs, etc) are otherwise equal, does it not?

Do you really think PGI would be using the engine they chose were not for either ease of coding, or some other way in which it particularly fits the title? (unless it's a monetary issue, but that's still an advantage)

In an ideal world, games would be beamed to our heads magically with no need for any platform, but here in the corporeal world, it's not that simple. People are acting like PGI is making the decisions they're making specifically to screw non-PC users over, or something. Obviously that isn't the case.

They're making the decisions they're making because they feel they're in their best interest, and if there was no cost to them to expand to other platforms, they'd do it. I can easily see how their particular decisions are in their best interest. They're sticking with the majority platform for games of this type, and using whatever engine suits them. If they made that decision over multi-platform support, it's because they felt it would work best for them.

I certainly would like to see Linux take off more in the gaming world; I've been very impressed with that particular lineage of OSes these past few years, watching what I once heard a very adept computer professional call "a nice toy" in 2006 quickly turn into a really compelling set of operating systems. I'm even on the fence about switching myself, especially if the Windows 8 interface sucks as badly as it looks to.

But I'm still operating on no expectation for game developers to jump on multiplatform support for titles unless it's in their best interest, and they very likely know better there than either of us do, besides which, even as Linux increases in popularity, increased game support will probably come from wider use of WINE, not native platform support. The former massively simplifies matters on the developer while still allowing the Linux market to purchase their software.

Edited by Catamount, 04 April 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#60 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostCatamount, on 04 April 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

But that assumes that all development platforms (engines, APIs, etc) are otherwise equal, does it not?

No, asking devs to create software compatible with certain platforms does not assume anything. It is simply a request generally intended to push them towards doing something they've been considering or considering something they hadn't. You are trying to turn this into something it isn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users